none
TFS 2012 Error while configuring the project feature

Question

• Hello,

We have recently upgraded TFS from 2010 to 2012.

Facing problem in configuring features in one of the team projects in collection. It is a only team project created using CMMI template and had workflow changes in it.

Initially we got message "no process templates available with valid configuration settings for this team project." checked eventvwr and found that Bug WIT had issues, updated the WIT and verified again we get below error message

"[Warning] The process template references the following work item field: Size (of: Requirement). This field does not exist in this team project. Some features require a field to represent the size of the backlog item. The following field will be used to represent size: Original Estimate.

[Error] TF400654: Unable to configure Planning Tools. The following element contains an error: BugWorkItems/BugWorkItems. TF400506: This element defines the states for work items that represent Bugs or Defects. Each state must exist in at least one of the work item types that are defined in: BugWorkItems. The following states do not exist in any of the work item types: Proposed."

Please let me know if any other details needed to assist.

Thanks

Pavan Kumar

Friday, November 30, 2012 2:37 AM

Answers

All replies

• You need to either update your team project or the process template. There are good pointers on MSDN: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh913787.aspx

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

Friday, November 30, 2012 8:08 PM
  • Same error.

The referenced article is not very helpful.

Sunday, December 23, 2012 4:08 AM
  • I recently ran into this issue as well when I upgraded projects using CMMI based custom process templates. Sounds like you are in the same boat.

The problem is that there are a lot of dependencies between work item states and things like task board functionality, product backlog functionality, out-of-the-box queries, etc.  So if you remove what was a default state (so existed in the original TFS templates) from a work item type, those new tools don't put them back in.  The tools try to interact with the work items as is, then fail when it tries to access something you removed from the original work item.  The upgrade tools add in new stuff for TFS 2012, but there is no way for it to be able to parse a custom template and undo any breaking changes you may have implemented. This section highlights a lot of the changes being made by the tools, as well as some things to look out for in terms of having to manually update custom templates to support TFS 2012.

For instance, in this case, when you upgraded the Bug work item type, I am assuming you removed or renamed the "Proposed" state. My advice, and this is what I did, is scour through the process template and look for places where Bug is being referenced, and specifically where the Proposed" state is being used. How you fix this will depend on the situation.  In my case, I had to update some built-in queries to reference the updated state name. Does that make more sense? I may blog about this in far more detail soon, and if I do I can point you to it.

Angela Dugan

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 8:14 PM