none
Need a C compiler for Windows Vista

Question

• listen i'm a novice and i'm really confused. can someone please help me. I wanted a compiler/editor for C, and tried Turbo C, but its damn wierd, and has some issues with Vista(i have vista ultimate). i read on some websites that there was a MS C compiler freely available, which could be somehow used by downloading a windows SDK. so i landed up here in my search for SDK. but i was rather alarmed by the huge download size of this SDK update. i tried other things too, like the visual studio orcas etc, but all of them have impossible download sizes. plus, i can hardly find any documentation on MSDN for C, everything is for C++, C#, Java, etc, etc.

Can someone please suggest possible ways of getting a C compiler, and recommend the best method to do so. Is a c compiler included in Visual studio 2005? I am sorry if this is the wrong forum to post my query, but i'm really confused, and i really need ur help.
    thanx in advance.
    Monday, June 11, 2007 7:19 AM

Answers

• You can download Visual C++ Express which should have a smaller download size.  Most C++ compilers, including Visual C++ support compiling straight C code as well.  If you don't need to do any windows programming, you can use Visual C++ Express without any further downloads.  If you need to program for windows, you will need to download the Windows SDK in addition to Visual C++ Express.
    Tuesday, June 12, 2007 9:36 PM

All replies

• You can download Visual C++ Express which should have a smaller download size.  Most C++ compilers, including Visual C++ support compiling straight C code as well.  If you don't need to do any windows programming, you can use Visual C++ Express without any further downloads.  If you need to program for windows, you will need to download the Windows SDK in addition to Visual C++ Express.
    Tuesday, June 12, 2007 9:36 PM
  • Perhaps it would help if you explained why you must use C. My guess is that you are unfamiliar with C and C++ and therefore think that you must use C. It is most probable that C++ is a better choice. You can do essentially everything using C++ that you can do using C yet you have more options using C++.
    Tuesday, June 12, 2007 10:31 PM
  • Please don't ask the same question in multiple forums simultaneously. You asked a similar question in Compilers for C, which is essentially the same question.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 11:06 PM