none
Error 0xc000007b

Question

• I have recently installed a VS2008 application on a customers machine running XP.

The installation has previously been successful on XP, Vista and Win 7.

I can successfully run a number of executables developed in C# after the install.

However, after the PC is rebooted all the executables throw the 0xc000007b error.

My inclination is to think that the .Net framework is fine, otherwise the executables would not run immediately after the install. Trawling the internet, there are a few forums that point to a worm virus.

Is there anything you could recommend to assist in diagnosing the problem?

James

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 4:04 PM

Answers

• Thanks for responding.

The problem does occur with all managed code.

The verification tool showed the framework 3.5 SP1 is installed correctly which is the version my code is compiled with.

I created the simplest of executables and ran it on the customers machine in question. It did run, no error, although I couuld not rebbot the PC as I was doing this remotely (the error seems to occur after a reboot). I copied the executable back to my PC and the alarm bells rang that the file was infected with the W32.Almanahe.B worm virus. All the other executables in the application solution were also found to be infected.

I have informed the customer and advised on installing anti-virus software!

• Marked as answer by James-c Thursday, January 13, 2011 10:21 AM
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 10:20 AM

All replies

•  for hex 0xc000007b / decimal -1073741701 :
     STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_FORMAT                                   ntstatus.h

Probably returned by the _CorValidateImage Function. Does this problem occur to all executables with a CLR header (that is, containing managed code)? If so I suggest you to visit the CLR forum.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 8:44 PM
  •  

Hi James,

Could you please try Verification Tool to verify .NET Framework installed on your machine.

Eric Yang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 2:16 AM
  • Thanks for responding.

The problem does occur with all managed code.

The verification tool showed the framework 3.5 SP1 is installed correctly which is the version my code is compiled with.

I created the simplest of executables and ran it on the customers machine in question. It did run, no error, although I couuld not rebbot the PC as I was doing this remotely (the error seems to occur after a reboot). I copied the executable back to my PC and the alarm bells rang that the file was infected with the W32.Almanahe.B worm virus. All the other executables in the application solution were also found to be infected.

I have informed the customer and advised on installing anti-virus software!

• Marked as answer by James-c Thursday, January 13, 2011 10:21 AM
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 10:20 AM