none
The operating system cannot run . (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800700B6)

Question

• Hi, I have written a Managed C++.NET wrapper DLL around subversion client libraries. It works fine on my development machine, but when I package and deploy to another machine, I get the error:

The operating system cannot run . (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800700B6)

There are no details. fuslogvw does not report anything. depends doesn't show anything. I have no clue how to debug this!

The project is here: http://www.codeplex.com/IronSvn

I cannot find that specific message "The operating system cannot run" anywhere. How do I debug this problem? It may possibly be coming out of subversion itself when trying to load a DLL, because I've found some reference to a formatted string of this form with attempted JNI calls?

Thanks!
    Wednesday, April 09, 2008 5:58 AM

Answers

• Odd. I removed ssleay32.dll from C:\Windows\System32\ and it worked. If I then place the file back, I get the exception. I'm sure this is somehow related to the fact that I'm building OpenSSL along with IronSvn, but it's just incredibly odd.

I'd be very curious to understand how to debug this? I removed ssleay32.dll purely based on a hunch, but let's say I saw a similar error on another customer's computer... how would I debug this error?

Thanks,
    Wednesday, April 09, 2008 7:11 AM

All replies

• Odd. I removed ssleay32.dll from C:\Windows\System32\ and it worked. If I then place the file back, I get the exception. I'm sure this is somehow related to the fact that I'm building OpenSSL along with IronSvn, but it's just incredibly odd.

I'd be very curious to understand how to debug this? I removed ssleay32.dll purely based on a hunch, but let's say I saw a similar error on another customer's computer... how would I debug this error?

Thanks,
    Wednesday, April 09, 2008 7:11 AM
  •  

Kevin,

I'm suddenly getting the same problem in a Website project with a C# handler and lots of external assembly references after updating the references. I'm using VS2008.

Maybe I'll try to filemon what's happening here.

Thomas

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 8:21 AM
  • Hey Thomas, Have you figured this out? Are you getting this using IronSvn?

Kevin
    Monday, May 05, 2008 12:51 PM
  • Kevin,

sorry I forgot to call back...

My filemon (or procmon) session didn't succeed to find the cause because of too many file accesses. But I thought about it again and found out that one unmanaged dependency was missing (without any useful error message). So you should check your native dll dependencies. Problem is that DependencyWalker fails with managed assemblies so you have to look otherwise.

Then I began to write my own managed/unmanaged dependency walker but I'm stuck there currently reflection-only loading dependent assemblies of an assembly in another folder than my application (see http://forums.microsoft.com/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3259116&SiteID=1). There are some ideas for a solution but I haven't yet tried because of other more important tasks. But currently I can find all (non-delay-loaded) native dependencies of a managed assembly.

Thomas

Monday, May 05, 2008 1:05 PM