none
Visual Web Developer Express 2013--cursor is constantly in "wait" mode during & after a Web project loads

Question

• The project loads in its entirety and I can make changes to my ASP.NET web pages, etc, but the cursor is constantly in busy-blue-circle form like there's some task going on in the background, except for all I cna tell, it's just VWDE running. If I edit a page and have to select text, it's with that damn blue circle cursor.

I also have VWDE2012 on the same machine, and I do not get this problem, though I seem to recall having that issue previously and fixing it, but for the life of me I can't remember what I did, lol!

Anyone else having this same problem, and/or heard of it before? Any suggestions on how to "un-busy" VWDE2013 after loading my website project?

I've already tried changing lots of different settings, even importing the settings for VWDE2012, but nothing works. I also reset all VWDE2013's settings and it's still doing this busy blue cursor thing. And driving me nuts!

Thanks in advance...

Thursday, October 24, 2013 5:52 PM

Answers

All replies

• Is is the busy cursor or the working-in-background cursor?

If you create a new project, does it still do it? Is there network activity when the busy cursor is showing - although as you've reset the settings I doubt that it is downloading symbols - a potentially lengthy process (Tools->Options->Debugging->Symbols) and I don't think that should give a busy cursor anyway.

--
    Andrew

Thursday, October 24, 2013 6:14 PM
  • It's definitely the busy cursor--the full blue rotating circle, as opposed to the background (smaller circle with arrow). It blinks to and from the regular pointer, but is mostly busy.

I checked network activity and there is next to nothing going on, barely above 0%.

I opened another project that was non-Web, and it doesn't happen at all. Doesn't happen for ANY of my non-Web projects.

I'm fairly certain this happened with VWDE2012 as well, but as mentioned I can't for the life of me recall what the solution to that was...

Thursday, October 24, 2013 8:55 PM
  • Hi,

I suggest that you try to restart you PC, run Visual Web Developer Express 2013 as admin and create a new and simple ASP.NET web app to check if you still will get such issue. If yes, I suggest you try to repair/reinstall Visual Web Developer Express 2013. If no help, and the issue only occurs at the specific web project, I suggest that you try to consult your issue on Visual Studio and Visual Web Developer Express forum: http://forums.asp.net/1213.aspx/1?Visual+Studio+and+Visual+Web+Developer+Express  like this thread with similar issue: http://forums.asp.net/t/1144629.aspx

Best regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, October 25, 2013 6:06 AM
  • Hi Amanda, thank you for the reply.

I tried restarting, but that made no difference. Both before and after the restart VWDE2013 was/is being run as an administrator.

I tried creating a simple ASP.NET web app, and didn't have this problem.

I've cross-posted this issue over to the ASP.NET forums.

All project settings appear to be exactly the same between VWDE2012 & 2013...

Friday, October 25, 2013 9:15 PM
  • I think I see the problem. I downloaded the TechNet Process Monitor from MS's site, and it appears that VWDE is going through every single folder on my IIS website and copying the files to a cache on my local drive.I don't need it to do this--does anyone know how I can turn this "feature" off?

Thanks!

Friday, October 25, 2013 9:54 PM
  • Hi,

Since your issue is involved with ASP.NET and IIS technology, I think that ASP.NET experts will provide you better solution.

Thanks,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, October 28, 2013 2:05 AM
  • Hmmm... seems more of a VWDE issue though, considering the IDE appears to be making the decision of whether to download/copy all of those website files or not; 2012 isn't doing so, but 2013 is, with the same website.

I do have this cross-posted to the ASP.NET forums in any case, but as of yet nobody there has answered this question for me yet either...

Monday, October 28, 2013 3:34 PM
  • Hi,

I saw your post in ASP.NET forum: http://forums.asp.net/p/1945668/5543898.aspx?Visual+Web+Developer+Express+2013+cursor+is+constantly+in+wait+mode+during+after+a+Web+project+loads

I will continue to focus it.

Best regards,

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 4:27 AM
  • I've submitted this as an issue to Microsoft, here.
    Wednesday, December 11, 2013 6:45 PM
  • Hi,

Voted it!.

Then I will mark your reply as answer to close this thread, which will be beneficial for other members with the similar issue when they search on forums.

Thank you for your support and understanding.

Best regards,

Thursday, December 12, 2013 1:37 AM