none
What are the advantages & disadvantages of Silverlight?

Question

• Hi,

Can anyone explain me the advantages & disadvantages of Microsoft Silverlight?

Regards,

Perumal.R

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 10:57 AM

Answers

• Compared to what other technology?

Compared to WPF, you get no hardware acceleration and no 3D.

With Silverlight you get cross platform (almost all browsers on Mac and Windows) .NET runtimes, where WPF is Windows only.

With WPF (XBAP), you can not script against it or have your XBAP "talk" to the HTML DOM.  In Silverlight, your have full communication between your web page and your silverlight application.  You can even run your js under Silverlight for a massive performance increase because it will compile under the .NET CLR (Silverlight v1.1).  Lets not forget C# in the browser...

There's many other advantages/disadvantages, but these seem to be the biggest.

-Jer

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 1:53 PM

All replies

• Compared to what other technology?

Compared to WPF, you get no hardware acceleration and no 3D.

With Silverlight you get cross platform (almost all browsers on Mac and Windows) .NET runtimes, where WPF is Windows only.

With WPF (XBAP), you can not script against it or have your XBAP "talk" to the HTML DOM.  In Silverlight, your have full communication between your web page and your silverlight application.  You can even run your js under Silverlight for a massive performance increase because it will compile under the .NET CLR (Silverlight v1.1).  Lets not forget C# in the browser...

There's many other advantages/disadvantages, but these seem to be the biggest.

-Jer

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 1:53 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your answer. Can you please explain the difference(& adv., disadvantages) between Silverlight against AJAX & Flash.

Regards,

Perumal.R

Thursday, July 19, 2007 9:14 AM
  •  To build RIA applications the few choices of technology that comes in to mind is Ajax, Flash/Flex and Silverlight.

The developement effort for building RIA using each one of them is the same also teh user experience is also roughly the same ( except for specific purposes).

Benefits of Silverlight

• Silverlight offers cross-domain support for applications
    • Silverlight plugin is just a 1MB download and is supported in windows XP and above.
    • Silverlight also has a browser plugin but still needs to reach at pace with flash.
    • supports asynchronous calls

Benefits of Ajax

• Ajax is absed on open standards so widely accepted and supported.
    • Bandwidth usage of web is less as specfic demands are accomplished.
    • Works with Flash and Flex
    • Key component of Web2.0 apps
    • benefits of regular web apps like low cost etc.
    • supports asynchronous calls

Disadvantages of Ajax

• Ajax also uses javascript,CSS and XHTML but there is an issue of cross browser compatibility that is what might work on one browser might not work on another browser which makes the debugging difficult.

Benefits of Flash / Flex

• Flash actually has the power of animation
    • The flash player used to run the Falsh/ Flex apps are installed in about a billion computers.
    • Flash is a multi-platform application that will appear the same on all browsers and platforms as long as its plug-in has be downloaded.
    • Flash should be used when the primary goal is visual effects to the users but if lookign forward to earn potential customers then it should be limited.
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 11:04 AM
  • Hi,

To add to it

Advantages and disadvantages of Silverlight:
    Silverlight executes in the client browser. Silverlight applications need to be hosted on a web server, Silverlight does NOT need to be hosted in IIS, any web server will do, Silverlight does NOT need ASP.NET on the server Silverlight applications cannot access databases without an intermediary. Silverlight applications cannot access server-side classes or variables without an intermediary. Silverlight 2 introduces the .NET framework to Silverlight along with the DLR and a rich control set. From WPF to Silverlight, can be more troublesome due to the greatly increased .NET framework and control set in WPF. Silverlight has very rich support for reading data of numerous types from web services to RSS feeds to static XML files.
    For more information go through this link

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb404700(VS.95).aspx
    • Proposed as answer by madagaskar Tuesday, July 21, 2009 7:27 PM
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 7:24 PM
  • thanks jeremiah,

you answered most of questions i was googling for - particularly browser, hardware accel and comms.

one question mainly to do with non-browser development, would you say that WPF in the longterm, depending on needs of course, is perhaps the recommended way to go for new desktop rich applications where one would normally have written say .net winforms?  i particularly like the new command patterns, declarative and other parts of the WPF architecture.

oh, do you think that WPF and Silverlight may fuse in the future?

thanks jeremiah.

MickyD | http://mickyd.wordpress.com/ Help others by voting my post as 'Helpful' if you think it is so.
    Monday, April 26, 2010 7:47 AM
  • WPF and silverlight aren't going to fuse in the foreseeable future.

If you're writing a new desktop app with a lot of reporting in it then you have a problem.  There is no native report viewer control in WPF.  Printing = pain.  

WPF is the future for desktop apps and I prefer working with it over winforms. 

Monday, April 26, 2010 8:31 AM
  • WPF and silverlight aren't going to fuse in the foreseeable future.

If you're writing a new desktop app with a lot of reporting in it then you have a problem.  There is no native report viewer control in WPF.  Printing = pain.  

WPF is the future for desktop apps and I prefer working with it over winforms. 

Andy has there been any recent statements from MS about WPF and Silverlight not merging?

I am asking because I attended a Microsoft event about a year ago where they said that within 5 years WPF and Silverlight would probably merge.

Also on this feature request list this i number 3 (even though many argue that it would be wrong) http://dotnet.uservoice.com/forums/40583-wpf-feature-suggestions

Monday, April 26, 2010 10:29 AM
  • Well, reading a bit about Silverlight (with a co-worker), I've found that Silverlight 1.0 is the only version that supports older MAC OS Versions (10.4), only 10.5 (and above) Intel based MACs are supported in latest versions, this leaves many MAC users out of scope (PowerPC and previous versions to 10.5).

Actually, only flash supports most of the other platforms versions :(.

I need to do, I need to know.
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 7:06 PM
  • Can someone explain me the difference between ActiveX control and Silverlight? What are the advantages of Silverlight over ActiveX control?
    -Vipin
    Saturday, October 16, 2010 10:34 AM
  • I take it you mean in browser.

One big difference is that ActiveX is harder to write in .Net.

I've recently been doing some Chip and pin integration.  It's really difficult to expose methods and events from "straight" .Net managed code.

Having found a bunch of issues plan B was Silverlight.

It is really easy to expose properties and methods from Silverlight to Javascript.  My code also calls a Javascript function in the parent page from within managed code.  Try getting that to work with Activex.

Oh, and it's currently cool and trendy whilst Activex is seen as being old hat.  Don't underestimate this aspect.

OTOH remember that Silverlight is a subset of the CLR rather than all encompassing.  Plus there's the  odd security feature which can catch you out.

Monday, October 18, 2010 2:29 PM
  • It's only recently with the i-Whatever generation that significant numbers of people have bought apple computers.

Monday, October 18, 2010 2:32 PM
  • Hi,

WebSite in Silverlight is :

sexy,nice, long and hard..

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 4:07 PM