none
Release Burndown Error After Upgrade to TFS 2012 (Scrum 2.0)

Question

• My release burndown report used to work prior to upgrade from 2010 to 2012, but now it is busted.  The report works fine on a clean install of 2012 on a sandbox, but not in my upgraded environment and Scrum template to 2.0.  All of the other reports seem to work fine.  Any ideas?

Reporting Services Error
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An error has occurred during report processing. (rsProcessingAborted) Get Online Help
    Query execution failed for dataset 'dsBurndown'. (rsErrorExecutingCommand) Get Online Help
    Parser: The end of the input was reached.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SQL Server Reporting Services

Friday, January 11, 2013 7:13 PM

Answers

• That really helped in debugging.  Thanks so much.

It turns out it was the StatesToExcludeParam.  The project w the issue has the defaults below:

[Work Item].[System_State].[Done]

[Work Item].[System_State].[Removed]

While the project w/o the issue has these as the defaults:

Done

Removed

Switching to these as the defaults fixed it!

Friday, February 08, 2013 12:25 AM

All replies

• Hi Chris, 

Thanks for your post. 

Have you clicked the Start Rebuild to rebuild Warehouse data and Analysis Service database automatically in TFS Admin Console? (Automatically rebuild need spend some time to complete.)

Or you can try to manually processing the Warehouse data and Analysis Service database to complete the rebuild immediately, please refer to the steps in this article(it similar to TFS 2012): http://blog.accentient.com/2010/04/08/ManuallyProcessingTheTeamFoundationServer2010DataWarehouseAndAnalysisServicesDatabase.aspx.  

John Qiao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, January 14, 2013 7:26 AM
  • This has been for months now, and my error is different.  However, I did follow the instructions you provided, and the result is the same.  I am guessing there is something about our data that the report does not like, due to the "The end of the input was reached" error.  Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Chris

Monday, January 14, 2013 4:43 PM
  • Hi Chris, 

Thanks for your reply.

Have you customized the release burndown report in your scrum team project? Or you’re using the default release burndown report?

You said that “the report works fine on a clean install of 2012 on a sandbox, but not in my upgrade environment and Scrum template to 2.0”, do you mean that this report works fine in VS 2012 client? This team project be created in TFS 2012 and using the default Scrum 2.0 template? What’s the detailed information about your “upgrade environment”? you’re using VS 2010 on your client? 

We can’t get helpful information according this “The end of the input was reached” message. Did you get any helpful information when you manually processing Warehouse data and Analysis Service?

John Qiao [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 7:03 AM
  • The report is not customized.  It is the default report.

The report works in the Reports website of the sandboxed 2012 environment.  The report does not work in the Reports website of the production 2012 environment (reports don't run in the IDE in VS 2012).

I did not get any helpful information when manually processing.  Everything went successfully.

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 4:16 PM
  • Hi, Is this the only report that does not work? I once notices that only reports from the cube did not work. In my case the tfs-analysis account did not have sufficient permissions to read from the tfs_warehouse database so the data was not updated!

Please mark as answer if my answers are useful!
    René van Osnabrugge
    MVP Visual Studio ALM
    W: www.delta-n.nl
    B: osnabrugge.wordpress.com
    T: @renevo

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 7:14 PM
  • Yes this is the  only report that doesn't work.  If I had a permissions issue, wouldn't the rest/some of them have issues as well?
    Tuesday, January 15, 2013 7:49 PM
  • It can happen that report that only use the relational warehouse work but the ones that use the cube do not What you can try is to create a new project based on the scrumtemplate. Check if the reports work there, and then copy the rdl to your current project. Just to make sure, you use the right rdl

Please mark as answer if my answers are useful!
    René van Osnabrugge
    MVP Visual Studio ALM
    W: www.delta-n.nl
    B: osnabrugge.wordpress.com
    T: @renevo

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 7:54 PM
  • I actually took this RDL from the sandbox where it is working.  The RDL definition wouldn't change based on environment right?  I'm assuming the Scrum 2.0 template RDL is the same across the board.
    Tuesday, January 15, 2013 7:57 PM
  • Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply.

I think it wouldn’t change based on environment.

As Renevo said, please try to create a new scrum team project, if the report works fine in this new scrum team project, then copy the RDL to your current project.

John Qiao [MSFT]

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 10:17 AM
  • I guess I'm not clear on how taking the RDL from the server that's working, would be different from the RDL of a newly created project that's working, but I have attempted what you have asked with no success.  The report runs on the newly created project just fine, but not on my existing project after I uploaded the RDL from the successful project.

Some more information that might help... The project with the issue originally started on Agile/TFS 2008, and has been upgraded/converted to Scrum 1.0 w TFS 2010, and then finally on Scrum 2.0/TFS 2012.  A different project that I started on Scrum 1.0/TFS 2010 works fine.  I can load that Release Burndown w/o issues.  It's only the projects that did not start on Scrum to begin with that have isssues.  Hopefully that helps.

Thanks

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 6:29 PM
  • Hi,

Any update on this?

Thanks

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 4:06 PM
  • Hi Chris, 

Thanks for your reply. 

I try to get other people help this issue, they will give you an update as soon as possible, please wait some time. 

John Qiao [MSFT]

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 2:48 AM
  • Hello Chris,

Please rebuild the data warehouse using the steps in the article: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc668753(v=vs.100).aspx Any difference?

Thanks & Regards,

Jian-Wei Yu [MSFT]

Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, January 31, 2013 8:36 AM
  • Are you or someone in your org proficient with reporting services? If so, open the report in design mode and execute the dsBurndown dataset directly. You should get a more detailed error message. If it runs then examine parameters passed to the dataset. Look at the actual values being passed. Also the dsProjectGuid and dsSprints queries should be checked to see what they return. These feed the default value of 2 parameters (neither allow null values) that feed dsBurndown dataset. What values are displayed for the sprint and area parameters in the parameter bar at the top when you run it?

What happens if you copy the rdl that is not working into your sandbox? does it work there? If so, it is not your report that is broken but something in your data. That is almost certain anyway but doesn't hurt to verify.

We don't use our release burndown report much but I tried running it. I was hoping to reproduce your error so I could troubleshoot it. Sadly... mine works.

Please Mark posts as answers or helpful so that others can more easily find the answers they seek.

Thursday, January 31, 2013 9:52 PM
  • I'll give this a shot some time over the next few days.

Thanks

Friday, February 01, 2013 1:42 PM
  • I actually had tried this.  I'm no SSRS expert by any means, but I was able to crack of the RDL and test run it in design mode.  Same exact error though.  There has to be something about the data.  It has to be related to this project starting as the Agile template and then switching to Scrum.  Hopefully Jian's advice will help.

Thanks

Friday, February 01, 2013 1:44 PM
  • So I followed those directions, and even though the jobs started back up on their own, if I check processing status there is one error:

<Job Name="Full Analysis Database Sync" JobProcessingStatus="Idle">
    - <LastRun QueueTimeUtc="2013-02-02T10:00:00Z" ExecutionStartTimeUtc="2013-02-02T10:00:01.18Z" EndTimeUtc="2013-02-02T10:00:02.447Z" Result="Blocked">
      <ResultMessage>[Full Analysis Database Sync]: ---> TF221106: Reporting for Team Foundation Server cannot execute job Full Analysis Database Sync for TEAM FOUNDATION because the Analysis Services processing is offline. Use the Team Foundation Administration Console to start reporting.</ResultMessage> 
      </LastRun>
      <NextRun QueueTimeUtc="2013-02-03T10:00:00Z" JobState="QueuedScheduled" /> 
      </Job>

My reports are back up, but the Release Burndown still has the same error.

Sunday, February 03, 2013 1:17 AM
  • At least now all of the jobs are reporting "Succeeded", but the report is still broken.  Any ideas?
    Tuesday, February 05, 2013 4:53 PM
  • What tool are you opening the report with? ReportBuilder 3.0? If you open it for edit in reportbuilder 3.0, you can run the Burndown dataset by itself. What error does it report? (please copy/paste).

Please Mark posts as answers or helpful so that others can more easily find the answers they seek.

Wednesday, February 06, 2013 6:08 PM
  • Yes, Report Builder 3.0.  So if I right-click on dsBurndown, and then choose query I get the Query Designer window, with the query below.  If I think click the "Click to execute the query" link, I get a "No rows found.  Click to execute the query." message.  Is that the problem right there that I have no data coming back in that query, or is that not what you meant by running the dataset?

Thanks,

WITH MEMBER [Measures].[Total] AS
    SUM(
    [Date].[Date].CurrentMember * 
    -- When the member is evaluated we are in the context of a specific date and iteration path.
    -- We need to step up to the top of the Iteration Path hierarchy to sum values over all the 
    -- iteration paths (noting that we've already scoped the results to the release iteration path
    -- in the sub-cube expression
    {[Work Item].[Iteration Path].CurrentMember.Parent}
    , [Measures].[Microsoft_VSTS_Scheduling_Effort]
    )
    SELECT
    {
    [Measures].[Total]
    } ON COLUMNS,
    {
    NONEMPTY(
    EXTRACT(
    -- The @IterationDates parameter has the following structure;
    --    {([Date].[Date], [Work Item].[Iteration Path], [Work Item].[Iteration Hierarchy])}
    -- The Iteration Hierarchy value is there to force Reporting Services to refresh
    -- the allowed & default values when we change the release path. The value is not
    -- used in the query.
    StrToSet(@IterationDates),
    [Date].[Date],
    [Work Item].[Iteration Path]
    )
    ,[Measures].[Total]
    )
    } ON ROWS
    FROM
    (
    SELECT
    CrossJoin(
    StrToMember("[Team Project].[Project Node GUID].&[{" + @ProjectGuid + "}]"),
    StrToSet(@AreaParam),
    StrToMember(@ReleaseMember),
    Except(
    [Work Item].[System_State].[All].Children,
    StrToSet(@StatesToExcludeParam)
    )
    ) ON COLUMNS
    FROM [Team System]
    )

Wednesday, February 06, 2013 7:32 PM
  • No, that is likely because the values set for the parameters result in no rows. In the toolbar of the query designer there is a button (window with an "@" over it). This will show you the parameters being used by the query. You can also set values for each there.

To determine what values the report uses by default, close the query designer for a little while so you can expand the Parameters node in the left pane of the report designer. Find each of the parameters listed for the dsBurndown query and double-click to open properties. Check the default values tab to see what value is being set.

This can get complicated when you find a default value that is set by another query because you then need to open that query and run it. Running that query may require you to figure out what values are being provided to that query, and so on.

The good news is that with your current values set, dsBurndown runs, with no error (and no return data). This means that the basic MDX is still valid. Your problem is likely that a null value or some other unhandled value is causing the query to puke when you run the report. You can play with different values for the parameters to narrow down the culprit.

The bad news is that whatever change in your data has caused this issue may not be an error but just an unhandled case in the query. I am no MDX expert so I will not be of much help if you need to tweak the query.

So we'll hope that no changes are needed there.

Wednesday, February 06, 2013 10:29 PM
  • That really helped in debugging.  Thanks so much.

It turns out it was the StatesToExcludeParam.  The project w the issue has the defaults below:

[Work Item].[System_State].[Done]

[Work Item].[System_State].[Removed]

While the project w/o the issue has these as the defaults:

Done

Removed

Switching to these as the defaults fixed it!

Friday, February 08, 2013 12:25 AM