none
How do I know what framework I need?

Question

• I have Windows XP Windows Media Center and 

.NET Framework 1.1 Configuration

(version 1.1.4322.573).  I see downloads for 2.0, 3.0.  Do I need these and how do I know?

Friday, October 20, 2006 10:52 PM

Answers

• well you dont need them unless some software requires it. you can stick with the one you have, its actually bundled into the SP2 I believe of Windows XP (all versions)

you can always stick with the latest and greatest have .NET 3.0 is still not fully complete, so you can use .NET 2.0 if you like.

If you are developing applications in VS.NET then the appropriate .NET Framework will be installed however you are more or less stuck with the .NET Framework version to develop in by VS.NET

VS.NET 2002 -> .NET 1.0

VS.NET 2003 -> .NET 1.1

VS.NET 2005 -> .NET 2.0 and .NET 3.0 (with the Orcas add in tool I think)

VS Orcas -> .NET 3.0

Friday, October 20, 2006 10:54 PM
  • again depends on your app. you can install all versions of the .NET Framework side by side - it wont interfere with each other. or you can just have the .NET Framework required to run your app alone. As long as you have the .NET Framework version that your app requires, you will be fine. you can just install that on its own and itll be fine
    Sunday, November 26, 2006 4:00 PM

All replies

• well you dont need them unless some software requires it. you can stick with the one you have, its actually bundled into the SP2 I believe of Windows XP (all versions)

you can always stick with the latest and greatest have .NET 3.0 is still not fully complete, so you can use .NET 2.0 if you like.

If you are developing applications in VS.NET then the appropriate .NET Framework will be installed however you are more or less stuck with the .NET Framework version to develop in by VS.NET

VS.NET 2002 -> .NET 1.0

VS.NET 2003 -> .NET 1.1

VS.NET 2005 -> .NET 2.0 and .NET 3.0 (with the Orcas add in tool I think)

VS Orcas -> .NET 3.0

Friday, October 20, 2006 10:54 PM
  • if you have version 2.0 that installed, do you also need 1.1 anyway?
    Saturday, October 21, 2006 3:16 PM
  • depends on the application you are running. Generally you don't need it since .NET 2.0 will load it correctly I think but there can be times when you may need it for the application to run in question
    Saturday, October 21, 2006 3:19 PM
  • If you want to run application compatibility toolkit then you will need the version 1.1. Complete backward compatibility is expected but we dont get it.
    Friday, November 24, 2006 7:55 AM
  • do I need to have framework 1.1 and 2.0?  Would uninstalling 1.1 since I have 2.0 be the thing to do or do I need both?
    Sunday, November 26, 2006 3:51 PM
  • again depends on your app. you can install all versions of the .NET Framework side by side - it wont interfere with each other. or you can just have the .NET Framework required to run your app alone. As long as you have the .NET Framework version that your app requires, you will be fine. you can just install that on its own and itll be fine
    Sunday, November 26, 2006 4:00 PM
  • Well my question is even more basic!

Why do I need this *** on my computer at all? What is the overiding reason for installing .NET framework, whatever version?

I only use my computer for on-line investing, research, and e-mail. I do not develop applications, websites, etc. I am not a computer guru. I tried to install 2.0 because the wizards at MicroSoft said to(?). Computer almost went bererk and into a self-destruct mode and has noticeably slowed down and become erratic. When I look for 2.0 in 'Control Panel/Add/Remove Progams" I don't find 2.0 unless I click on 'Show Updates', then it appears as an update along w/the 2 security updates under .NET framework 1.1 and there's no 'Remove' button function (unless of course I remove all of 1.0 and 1.1).

I think this is mostly a bunch of junk someone at MicroSoft came up with for very obscure reasons, none of which have a damned thing to do with the average person out in flyover land who doesn't understand this kind of *** and could care less.

It's sort of like the new cell phones -- they've lost sight of the fact that the only reason you have one is to communicate (you remember --- talking, discussion, even debate) and not have all the electronic technical bells and whistles along with a photo lab, an entertainment center, and a lot of other extraneous junk. That's what my PC or PDA is for.  

Friday, December 22, 2006 5:50 PM
  • I am a low level software developer. I work for my dad's company and develop small applications that allow his service bereau to do more work, more efficiently. To the last poster, I can say this: If you want to run my apps, you need .NET 2.0. Now, you  may not care about running my apps. My point, however, is this: the .NET 2.0 framework added a lot of features and functionality that make life easier for us programmers. There are tools that were added that allow us to do things both better and more easily. Specifically, the DataGridView, which is just one such tool, allows us to display grids of data in an easier to use, prettier (if I may say so) way. This tool isn't available before .NET 2.0. So, if you want to use a program that takes advantage of this feature, you must have .NET 2.0 installed. That's the point.
    Thursday, January 04, 2007 1:47 PM
  • Forgetting about manifest.xml files that can dictate what version of a .NET installation this program "thinks" it needs to execute, the better question is the following:

Will the .NET 3.0 framework run an application that was written using .NET 1.0, 1.1, etc.? The ultimate question is, do I need to install all 4 .NET frameworks (1.0, 1.1SP1, 2.0, and 3.0) to be safe (e.g. an application dictates that it must have .NET 1.1 to run...)?

~ Craig

Thursday, February 08, 2007 6:12 PM
  • The Framework you need is Independent of the Operating System you are using

Friday, February 09, 2007 8:01 AM
  • Well my question is even more basic!

Why do I need this *** on my computer at all? What is the overiding reason for installing .NET framework, whatever version?

I only use my computer for on-line investing, research, and e-mail. I do not develop applications, websites, etc. I am not a computer guru. I tried to install 2.0 because the wizards at MicroSoft said to(?). Computer almost went bererk and into a self-destruct mode and has noticeably slowed down and become erratic. When I look for 2.0 in 'Control Panel/Add/Remove Progams" I don't find 2.0 unless I click on 'Show Updates', then it appears as an update along w/the 2 security updates under .NET framework 1.1 and there's no 'Remove' button function (unless of course I remove all of 1.0 and 1.1).

I think this is mostly a bunch of junk someone at MicroSoft came up with for very obscure reasons, none of which have a damned thing to do with the average person out in flyover land who doesn't understand this kind of *** and could care less.

It's sort of like the new cell phones -- they've lost sight of the fact that the only reason you have one is to communicate (you remember --- talking, discussion, even debate) and not have all the electronic technical bells and whistles along with a photo lab, an entertainment center, and a lot of other extraneous junk. That's what my PC or PDA is for.  

So let me just log onto the MSDN forums and *** that innovation has been made easier for programmers.

Monday, February 12, 2007 9:46 PM
  •  

I seem to be getting the hang of why I need .Net frameworks, but can someone tell me please if I now need both 2.0 and 3.0 on my system. I think I downloaded one for the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor and possibly the other when I trialed Office 2007. Whatever, they are mighty big applications.

Friday, February 16, 2007 11:26 PM
  • Dear/Madam,

I have done all i need do in order hear all my media player working but not

I m confuse i don,t know how to get right sir kindly help me to put my system right thank you.

God bless.

Sunday, March 11, 2007 2:54 PM
  • hi there i have a programe that insists i get net framework v2.0.50727

this sounds very specific to me ?.

i have got v2.0 and it still wont run and demands the above version where can i get it from and can any one provide a link for it please ?.

or will v3.0 run it ?.

thanks in advance for any help/advice offerd.

Sunday, March 11, 2007 9:50 PM
  • I agree completely with the above poster - .NET is sloppy and ill conceived.

The selection process for .NET is a sham.  I'd never heard of it before today when I tried to install video drivers and failed because I needed .NET.  After googling it, I found about 20 different versions of what I can see to be 3 .NETs (1.1, 2.0, and some 3.0 beta) mixed in with hundreds of utilities.  Some are framework, some are rereleasable.  There is no portion of the page that says "download newest version!" like there is for other critical drivers.  After some intelligent eenie, meenie, minee, mo, I downloaded ".NET framework 2.0 redistributable" which did nothing for me.  I viewed the forums and found I might need 1.1 AND 2.0. 

For the love of all that's good and holy - bundle!  Patch!  Try and create a product I can download in one shot and KNOW what the hell it is I'm downloading.

But, there was one easy solution around the whole thing.  Do what I did - buy a mac.

Friday, June 15, 2007 4:39 PM