none
Application icon missing

Question

• I have built an application in VS Lightswitch 2011 trial version and added a 32x32 png application icon in the application general properties. When I deploy it as a 2-tier desktop application the icon is missing from the start menu. A generic "Application Reference" icon is there in its place. The proper icon shows up in "Add/Remove Programs" as well as the task bar. I have tried uninstalling the application, clearing the icon cache and re-installing the application with the same result. Installing on another computer also has the same result.

Anybody have any ideas?

Friday, August 19, 2011 9:14 PM

Answers

• Unfortunately, this is a known problem, with no know solution.

It appears to either be a bug in the Silverlight launcher, or a problem with LS only allowing a 32x32 icon  to be specified.

The team are aware of the problem, & have it listed internally as a something to fix if possible.

Yann

(plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose!)

• Marked as answer by tkeen Friday, August 19, 2011 9:43 PM
    Friday, August 19, 2011 9:38 PM

All replies

It appears to either be a bug in the Silverlight launcher, or a problem with LS only allowing a 32x32 icon  to be specified.

The team are aware of the problem, & have it listed internally as a something to fix if possible.

Yann

• Marked as answer by tkeen Friday, August 19, 2011 9:43 PM
    Friday, August 19, 2011 9:38 PM
  • Thank you for such a quick response.

Now that I know its a know problem I can stop pulling my hair out trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong! Time to move on.

Cheers,

Friday, August 19, 2011 9:43 PM
  • You're welcome!

Yann

Friday, August 19, 2011 9:54 PM
  • I added an icon (png, 32x32) to my project and published desktop applicaton. I can't see icon in Start Menu.

Can you help me?

• Edited by Marcin Sulecki Tuesday, October 25, 2011 12:14 PM more specified
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 12:11 PM
  • It's very fun that Microsoft have problem with easy icon :)

I found an article about this:

http://thedatafarm.com/blog/dotnet/after-three-years-i-discover-how-to-choose-a-clickonce-icon-in-mageui/

I opened manifest file in MageUI, but I can't see Files folder.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 1:05 PM

Yann

Hi Yann,

This issue is more than a year old, any news on the matter for VS2013? I've just published a desktop LS App built with VS2012 Update 4 RC and still the same. It's a shame.

Regards.

Saturday, August 24, 2013 6:08 AM