none
Unable to access the IIS metabase. You do not have sufficient privilege to access IIS web sites on your machine.

Question

• I have a .NET 4.0 WCF solution that I am trying to load in VS2012 for the purposes of converting to VS2012 / .NET 4.5.  VS2012 properly detects that the project should be hosted by IIS and tries to alter the metabase for the virtual application.  Unforunately, it blows up with the following error:

The Web Application Project Acme.Foo is configured to use IIS.  Unable to access the IIS metabase.  You do not have sufficient privilege to access IIS web sites on your machine.

Note, I am logged in as my domain user account on Windows Server 2012.  This user is a local admin.  Note, the UAC level is turned all the way down (Never notify).

Please advise.
    • Edited by scott_m Monday, October 22, 2012 7:33 PM
    Monday, October 22, 2012 7:30 PM

Answers

• Logged in as a member of the domain and local admins group Navigate to %systemroot%\inetsrv\config

on my windows 8 pro that's c:\windows\system32\inetsrv\config

You will be blocked access with a popup "You don't have access to this folder - Click continue to permanently get access to this folder" which I did and the folder and ditto with the Export folder underneath.

Remember to change the shortcut back to run as yourself if you have used the workaround of running the shortcut as administrator.

You should be able to open the solution and deploy to a network location :)

• Proposed as answer by Kirk at Aequitas Monday, August 05, 2013 5:10 PM
    • Marked as answer by scott_m Monday, August 05, 2013 5:15 PM
    Thursday, July 04, 2013 2:13 AM
  • Apparently, you must run visual studio as Administrator or metabase modifications will fail.

• Marked as answer by scott_m Monday, October 22, 2012 10:11 PM
    Monday, October 22, 2012 10:11 PM

All replies

• I don't know how this works on Windows 2012, but on Windows 2008 you had to install metabase access separately as a sub component of IIS, maybe you even need IIS6 metabase compatibility turned on.
    Monday, October 22, 2012 8:55 PM
  • Apparently, you must run visual studio as Administrator or metabase modifications will fail.

• Marked as answer by scott_m Monday, October 22, 2012 10:11 PM
    Monday, October 22, 2012 10:11 PM
  • Hi,

I'm having the same issue and starting Visual Studio as administrator fixed the problem. However, I can't believe that I will always have to run VS as admin... 

Is there any other way to fix this problem?

Thanks and regards,

Matthieu

Friday, October 26, 2012 9:06 AM
  • Logged in as a member of the domain and local admins group Navigate to %systemroot%\inetsrv\config

on my windows 8 pro that's c:\windows\system32\inetsrv\config

You will be blocked access with a popup "You don't have access to this folder - Click continue to permanently get access to this folder" which I did and the folder and ditto with the Export folder underneath.

Remember to change the shortcut back to run as yourself if you have used the workaround of running the shortcut as administrator.

You should be able to open the solution and deploy to a network location :)

• Proposed as answer by Kirk at Aequitas Monday, August 05, 2013 5:10 PM
    • Marked as answer by scott_m Monday, August 05, 2013 5:15 PM
    Thursday, July 04, 2013 2:13 AM
  • This worked fine for me! Thank you!
    Monday, August 05, 2013 9:03 PM
  • You must run visual studio as Administrator.
    Friday, February 21, 2014 7:01 AM
  • I have window 8.1 pro and even after trying this, which didn't work I took ownership of c:\windows\system32\inetsrv and gave full control to all users and still getting the same error.

• Edited by Ed La Saturday, April 12, 2014 5:41 PM
    Saturday, April 12, 2014 5:05 PM