none
Visual Studio 2008 failed to install component: 64bit prerequisites (x64)

Question

• I've been running into several different problems while trying to install the new version of visual studio profession 2008 that I just downloaded. The version I downloaded is the:   Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition (x86 and x64 WoW) - DVD (English)  , and I downloaded it from my schools MSDNAA site. It is saved as an ISO image, so initially I burned it to a DVD and I got an error message during installation about "failing to copy DW20.EXE file". I got the same error when trying to mount the ISO on a virtual drive using Daemon Tools, so I then extracted the ISO to a separate folder and ran the setup.exe

It got past the copying part and starting to set up the installation, then immediately as it begins installing, it errors with a problem: "The following components failed to install:  Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 64bit Prerequisites (x64)".  Here's a picture of what it looks like:

Photobucket

Here's the relevant part of the log:

[02/12/10,19:13:41] Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 64bit Prerequisites (x64): [2] c:\temp\visual studio 2008 professional edition (x86 and x64 wow) - dvd (english)\setup\..\wcu\64bitprereq\x64\vs_bsln.exe could not be unpackaged because it is not a cabinet.
    [02/12/10,19:13:41] setup.exe: [2] ISetupComponent::Pre/Post/Install() failed in ISetupManager::InternalInstallManager() with HRESULT -2147467259.
    [02/12/10,19:13:41] VS70pgui: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 64bit Prerequisites (x64) is not installed.

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium x64.  All .NET frameworks are installed and verified working, my temp folder is empty, I ran it as administrator (by right-clicking on it), and I tried running it in compatability mode with Windows XP and Vista (all versions and service packs). Any idea what is wrong with this install?
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 2:29 AM

Answers

• Hi D_tom49,

Thank you for your post.

[02/12/10,19:13:41] Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 64bit Prerequisites (x64): [2] c:\temp\visual studio 2008 professional edition (x86 and x64 wow) - dvd (english)\setup\..\wcu\64bitprereq\x64\vs_bsln.exe could not be unpackaged because it is not a cabinet.

This error message usually happens when the file is corrupted or the media is damaged.

To solve this error, could you please try the following points?
    - Temporarily turn off any anti-virus software
    - Try using some download manager software to help downloading the package again.
    - Once the ISO image has been created, either:
       - Extract the ISO image, to your local computer, that you have just created using something like ISOBuster and run the installation from the harddrive/harddisk
       - Mount the ISO image to a virtual CD drive, using another 3rd party tool something like MSVCD, and run the installation from here

If it still doesn't work, please follow the steps to collect the log files for further troubleshooting:

- Try to clean your "%temp%" folder (Start Menu >> Run >> Type "%temp%")
    - Install VS2008
      (The installer must be run with administrator privileges - Right-click the installer >> "Run as Administrator")
    - Collect the logs from "%temp%" folder
       Collect tool: http://blogs.msdn.com/heaths/archive/2008/05/09/visual-studio-and-net-log-collection-utility.aspx
    - Send vslogs.cab file to me (v-yicche@microsoft.com)
      Note: Please attach the link of this post in the mail.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Friday, February 19, 2010 3:57 AM
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 4:38 AM

All replies

• So do i, I get it from MSDNAA and try to install it on windows 7 professional but it failed. I mount it to virtual cd but it didn't run: "E:\setup.exe is not an valid win32 application".
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 2:33 AM
  • Hi D_tom49,

Thank you for your post.

This error message usually happens when the file is corrupted or the media is damaged.

To solve this error, could you please try the following points?
    - Temporarily turn off any anti-virus software
    - Try using some download manager software to help downloading the package again.
    - Once the ISO image has been created, either:
       - Extract the ISO image, to your local computer, that you have just created using something like ISOBuster and run the installation from the harddrive/harddisk
       - Mount the ISO image to a virtual CD drive, using another 3rd party tool something like MSVCD, and run the installation from here

If it still doesn't work, please follow the steps to collect the log files for further troubleshooting:

- Try to clean your "%temp%" folder (Start Menu >> Run >> Type "%temp%")
    - Install VS2008
      (The installer must be run with administrator privileges - Right-click the installer >> "Run as Administrator")
    - Collect the logs from "%temp%" folder
       Collect tool: http://blogs.msdn.com/heaths/archive/2008/05/09/visual-studio-and-net-log-collection-utility.aspx
    - Send vslogs.cab file to me (v-yicche@microsoft.com)
      Note: Please attach the link of this post in the mail.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Friday, February 19, 2010 3:57 AM
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 4:38 AM
  • Same problem here, I will send you my vslogs.cab when I come home.
    Sunday, April 18, 2010 5:55 AM
  • Hello,

What was the solution in your case?

Thank you!

Jay

Friday, January 28, 2011 5:24 PM
  • Switched ISOs and it worked.  Previous working version on other systems did not install: SW_DVD9_VStudio_Team_Suite_2008_English_Core2_MLF_X14-26461.ISO.

Tried newer: en_visual_studio_team_system_2008_team_suite_x86_dvd_x14-26461.iso and it worked!

Thanks,

Jay

Friday, January 28, 2011 8:49 PM
  • I've been running into several different problems while trying to install the new version of visual studio profession 2008 that I just downloaded. The version I downloaded is the:   Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition (x86 and x64 WoW) - DVD (English)  , and I downloaded it from my schools MSDNAA site. It is saved as an ISO image, so initially I burned it to a DVD and I got an error message during installation about "failing to copy DW20.EXE file". I got the same error when trying to mount the ISO on a virtual drive using Daemon Tools, so I then extracted the ISO to a separate folder and ran the setup.exe

It got past the copying part and starting to set up the installation, then immediately as it begins installing, it errors with a problem: "The following components failed to install:  Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 64bit Prerequisites (x64)".  Here's a picture of what it looks like:

Photobucket

[02/12/10,19:13:41] setup.exe: [2] ISetupComponent::Pre/Post/Install() failed in ISetupManager::InternalInstallManager() with HRESULT -2147467259.
    [02/12/10,19:13:41] VS70pgui: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 64bit Prerequisites (x64) is not installed.

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium x64.  All .NET frameworks are installed and verified working, my temp folder is empty, I ran it as administrator (by right-clicking on it), and I tried running it in compatability mode with Windows XP and Vista (all versions and service packs). Any idea what is wrong with this install?

I have same problem too. How to fix it? Please help.
    Monday, February 28, 2011 7:12 PM
  • i have the same problem with Windows8 64bit OS.

Help me Please..

Monday, July 29, 2013 4:14 PM
  • You might have missing machine.config file.

Location: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\CONFIG

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 12:39 PM