none
Visual Studio 2010 Painfully Slow

Question

• I am developing on the fully relaeased Version of VS 2010 Ultimate. on a fast Vista machine with 4G of RAM  The project is a fairly large WPF application with an Entity Framework Data Layer.  (The EF DataLayer is currently removed so I know it is not contributing to the problem)  The application is a dsktop application and does not use the internet in any way (at this moment).

The issue is that when you start a complile in Debug Mode it is slow compiling, but when you stop the compiled version to work again in the designer. - - - You get a white screen with a comment at the top noting that "Visual Studio is not responding" and you wait 30 to 60 Seconds before the designer once more appears.  If I click too soon on something in the designer (when it finally does show up) VS seems to go off into another wait mode for another 20 Seconds.

While this is similar to issues reported in VS 2008 and beta versions of VS2010 - - -  this problem is in a fullly released version of VS 2010 Ultimate.

Two clues appeared in prior posts that seem to be relevant:

So I disconnected from the internet so that I could turn off my virus checking software and i also followed the instructions for adjusting settings in IE7 from the other similar posts related to VS 2008, that is: unchecking "Check for Publishers certificate revocation" and my months of pain were finally gone.    Reasonable performance has been returned to VS 2010

OOPs - I turned Microsoft Security Essentials (My virus and Spyware program) back on and the VS 2010 problem has returned.  After turning Microsoft Security essentials off again (this causes a lot of disk activity which lasts about 10 Minutes on my computer), perfomance in Visual Studio 2010 seems to improve again.  Interestingly, if I try Visual Studio before the disk activity caused by turning off Microsoft Security essentials, the slow problem is still there.

It is a real handicap to run without access to the internet, so I would love to resove the problem so that I could turn Security Essentials back on.

It would be nice if some expert would explain the mysterious connection between and IE7 setting and  Security Essentials with Visual Studio 2010 performance

Wednesday, September 08, 2010 2:08 AM

Answers

• Hi Figo Fei,

The development machine is a Vista System.  After trying several other projects, it appears that anything I run in VS2010 is really slow.

I have already reported the issue to the Microsoft Security Essentials group and am awaiting a response.

Thanks for your reply.

Bob Ranck

• Proposed as answer by Figo Fei Friday, September 10, 2010 3:05 AM
    • Marked as answer by lumberpro Friday, September 10, 2010 3:44 AM
    Friday, September 10, 2010 12:32 AM
  • Wrap Up-

This problem has finally been solved!  It had nothing to do with Security Essentials.  The problem turned out to be the hard drive hardware itself.  I would not belive that the hard drive could continue to function (but at very slow access times) however that is exactly where the problem was.  A new hard drive was installed, Installed a new copy of Windows 7, A new copy of Visual Studio 2010 and, Viola!

Since the drive was a SATA, and I had an extra cable, I re installed the old drive and and ran VS 2010 off of the OLD Drive and I was back to slow performance, switched to the new drive (same model as old) and problem was solved again - proving that it was the OLD hard drive itself.

Bob

• Marked as answer by lumberpro Wednesday, January 05, 2011 6:23 PM
    Wednesday, January 05, 2011 6:23 PM

All replies

• Hi lumberpro,

What is your Windows version and is there any problem if you work with other project besides WPF?

Based on your description, it seems that the AntiVirus software is the causing of this perf issue, you can report this issue with detailed information to connect.microsoft.com so that product guys can anolyse it and may give further workaround/fix for it.

Thanks.

Figo Fei
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Thursday, September 09, 2010 6:30 AM
  • Hi Figo Fei,

The development machine is a Vista System.  After trying several other projects, it appears that anything I run in VS2010 is really slow.

I have already reported the issue to the Microsoft Security Essentials group and am awaiting a response.

Thanks for your reply.

Bob Ranck

• Proposed as answer by Figo Fei Friday, September 10, 2010 3:05 AM
    • Marked as answer by lumberpro Friday, September 10, 2010 3:44 AM
    Friday, September 10, 2010 12:32 AM
  • Thanks for your response, Bob.

Feel free to post back if you get any updates from there.

Thanks again.

Figo Fei

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Friday, September 10, 2010 3:05 AM
  • Not sure if you've solved the problem, just FYI that Visual Studio 2010 runs faster when the Windows Automation API 3.0 is installed http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981741.

Thanks.

Figo Fei

Friday, October 08, 2010 3:38 AM
  • Bob,

Would you mind looping DevPerf@Microsoft.com into your conversation with the Security Essentials team?

Thanks,

David Berg - Develeoper Division Performance Engineering team

David Berg - MSFT
    Monday, October 11, 2010 8:23 PM
  • Wrap Up-

This problem has finally been solved!  It had nothing to do with Security Essentials.  The problem turned out to be the hard drive hardware itself.  I would not belive that the hard drive could continue to function (but at very slow access times) however that is exactly where the problem was.  A new hard drive was installed, Installed a new copy of Windows 7, A new copy of Visual Studio 2010 and, Viola!

Since the drive was a SATA, and I had an extra cable, I re installed the old drive and and ran VS 2010 off of the OLD Drive and I was back to slow performance, switched to the new drive (same model as old) and problem was solved again - proving that it was the OLD hard drive itself.

Bob

• Marked as answer by lumberpro Wednesday, January 05, 2011 6:23 PM
    Wednesday, January 05, 2011 6:23 PM