none
ehshell.exe and .net framework 2.0 problem

Question

• ehshell.exe and .net framework 2.0 problem 

I get the following error with windows vista when I try to run the media center (which used to work).

ehshell.exe - .NET Framework Initialization Error

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\mscorwks.dll could not be loaded

And media center won't run.

I tought I'd try to remove .net 2.0 but it isn't on the add/remove programs panel.   When I try to rerun the dotnetfx.exe to reinstall, it says:

Error: Product already installed.

Monday, June 18, 2007 7:02 PM

Answers

• The .NET Framework 2.0 is installed by default on Vista for all SKUs and cannot be uninstalled.

You might want to look at running OS repair by doing the following steps:

1. open a command prompt in administator mode (elevated priveleges)

2. run "sfc /VERIFYONLY"

This will evaluate your Vista OS for any issues, which need to be repaired and will let you know if you have any issues.  If you do then you can then run "sfc /SCANNOW" This will detect and repair any issues.

dotnetfx.exe will not install on Vista, because the .NET Framework 2.0 & 3.0  are Windows OS components.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 5:14 PM

All replies

• i get the SAME THING! can anyone help?????
    Friday, July 06, 2007 7:48 AM
  • & me

...a zillion dollars on a brand new W2PC notebook, vista ultimate, more pixels than I could ever want, I get my first glimpse of digital HD tv and then,

and then..... nothing but this wretched error. Oh, and the circus that is the latest vista updates. I've tried unloading last installed programs (Nero, Ulead VS10,11) but nothing. My 5 year old XP laptop has more functionality.
    Thursday, July 12, 2007 5:12 AM
  • The .NET Framework 2.0 is installed by default on Vista for all SKUs and cannot be uninstalled.

You might want to look at running OS repair by doing the following steps:

1. open a command prompt in administator mode (elevated priveleges)

2. run "sfc /VERIFYONLY"

This will evaluate your Vista OS for any issues, which need to be repaired and will let you know if you have any issues.  If you do then you can then run "sfc /SCANNOW" This will detect and repair any issues.

dotnetfx.exe will not install on Vista, because the .NET Framework 2.0 & 3.0  are Windows OS components.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 5:14 PM
  •  

Aaronru,

Great post.  It seems to make sense, and I'm very certain that the .NET framework may very well be the problem.

However, I am having the same issue and I tried the sfc scan, per instruction, and it reported back finding no problems within the scan. 

So I guess the problem is, once again, how to repair/reinstall .NET in Vista. 

Here's the error report from WMC:

Description:

Stopped working

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: CLR20r3

Problem Signature 01: ehshell.exe

Problem Signature 02: 6.0.6000.16386

Problem Signature 03: 4549b55e

Problem Signature 04: mcstoredb

Problem Signature 05: 6.0.6000.0

Problem Signature 06: 4549bcf9

Problem Signature 07: 114

Problem Signature 08: 222

Problem Signature 09: System.InvalidOperationException

OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

Any other ideas you might have?  I've dug around everywhere to no avail thus far.

Wednesday, August 01, 2007 1:13 AM
  •  

I seem to have the exact same problem as you and also got the same results from WMC. Going by the threads from posts on other sites it's not perhaps common enough to get fixed until SP1 which is a pain. This is so far the closest I've seen to a fix but I will be keeping an eye on this thread.
    Tuesday, October 23, 2007 10:34 AM
  • Hi, did you ever find a solution? I have a very similar error whenever I click in MCE on DVD-Library (I activated it):
      Problem Event Name:    CLR20r3
      Problem Signature 01:    ehshell.exe
      Problem Signature 02:    6.0.6000.16386
      Problem Signature 03:    4549b55e
      Problem Signature 04:    mscorlib
      Problem Signature 05:    2.0.0.0
      Problem Signature 06:    4536f11f
      Problem Signature 07:    34d2
      Problem Signature 08:    40b
      Problem Signature 09:    System.ArgumentException
      OS Version:    6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
      Locale ID:    1033

Can you help me maybe?

Thanks!
    Tuesday, November 13, 2007 4:47 AM
  • the depth of this issue is staggerig. It has caused my system to 1) fail to be able to check for updates from windows update.. 2) stopping system restore backups of my boot drive..
    neither am i able to do a reinstallation of my vista install (saving settings).
    if this sfc /SCANNOW doesn't work I'm gonna have to wait for sp1 (and with less than optomistic hopes of that fixing the issue..)

Sorahl
    Wednesday, November 21, 2007 5:37 AM
  • Here is the answer to your problems my friends.  And it worked! YAY! Here is the site from MS.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/KB947464

To resolve this problem, try to rebuild the Media Center data store. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Exit any running instance of Windows Media Center.
    2. Delete the following file:
      %SYSTEMDRIVE%\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome\mediaCenterDataStore.db
      To do this, follow these steps:
      1. Click Start
        Collapse this image Expand this image
        Start button
        , type run in the Start Search box, and then click Run in the Programs list.

Collapse this image Expand this image
         User Account Control permission
        If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
      2. In the Open box, type %systemdrive%\programdata\microsoft\ehome, and then click OK.
      3. In the details pane, right-click mediacenterdatastore.db, and then click Delete.
      4. Click Yes to confirm that you want to move the Mediacenterdatastore.db file to the Recycle Bin.
    3. Start Windows Media Center.

• Proposed as answer by SwellGuy Sunday, January 25, 2009 11:02 AM
    Sunday, January 25, 2009 11:01 AM
  • Swell Guy not sure what this did deleting that file but it worked for me.  Thanks so much!
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 1:45 PM
  • I also have the same problem as ppl4world on accessing the DVD-Library in VMC 

Problem Event Name:    CLR20r3
      Problem Signature 01:    ehshell.exe
      Problem Signature 02:    6.0.6000.16386
      Problem Signature 03:    4549b55e
      Problem Signature 04:    mscorlib
      Problem Signature 05:    2.0.0.0
      Problem Signature 06:    4536f11f
      Problem Signature 07:    34d2
      Problem Signature 08:    40b
      Problem Signature 09:    System.ArgumentException
      OS Version:    6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
      Locale ID:    1033

I tried deleting the mediacenterdatastore.db, but that didn't work for me.
    Also I can not find the KB article Swellguy refers to (KB947464).

Can anyone shed some light on this problem?

Update: I read somewhere that uninstalling some media center updates could solve the problem, but I uninstalled them all (KB967632,KB960544 and KB955519) but that did not help.
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 8:30 PM
  • Thank you so much!

This worked brilliantly!

Saturday, April 10, 2010 12:48 AM