none
MICROSOFT.NET FRAMEWORK 2.0 SERVICE PACK 2 (UNINSTALL)

Question

•  

I attempted to both automatically & manually uninstall Microsoft.NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 from both the Control Panel (Add or Remove Programs) & by going to "Run" & typing in Installer which brought me to the Installer.  On both occassions the same message flashed "Cannot Uninstall Service Pack 2 because it may affect other applications".  I have the Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2 but I want to retain this one.  I have already burned two bridges here already.  What is the correct solution, if there is any?

SC Thackston

Scott C. Thackston
    • Moved by Ben Cline1MVP Friday, May 06, 2011 8:29 PM Not related to BizTalk (From:BizTalk Server General)
    • Moved by Paul Zhou Wednesday, May 11, 2011 9:00 AM .NET Framework Setup (From:.NET Base Class Library)
    Friday, May 06, 2011 11:12 AM

Answers

• .NET framework 2.0 contains the Common Language Runtime 2.0 (CLR2.0) this CLR is required to run Framwork 3.0 and 3.5.

The Framework 3.0 RTM, SP1 and SP2 installer do not require any additional patches or hotfixes on top of .NET 2.0.

Windows 2003 comes with .NET 2.0 installed 
    Windows Vista/2008 comes with .NET 2.0 sp1 and .NET 3.0 sp1 installed
    Windows 7/2008r2 comes with .NET 3.5, .NET 2.0sp1 and 3.0sp1

.NET 3.0 sp1 does not contain any changes to the 2.0 CLR and can be installed and removed separately
    .NET 3.0 sp2 does not contain any changes to the 2.0 CLR and can be installed and removed separately
    .NET 3.5 RTM includes .NET 2.0sp1 and 3.0sp1 and can be installed manually on 2003 or XP.
    .NET 3.5 SP1 includes .NET 2.0sp2 and 3.0sp2 and has to be installed manually on 2003, XP and Vista/2008.
    .NET 4.0 comes without the need to support a previous framework version and has to be installed manually on all platforms to date.

So, if you for whatever reason want to get rid of a specific version of .NET you might also have to remove a number of other versions depending on their requirements 

Plus you'd have to remove any patches that are installed on top of these framework versions. As you can also see, it is not possible to remove .NET framework 2.0 sp2 without removing .NET 3.5sp1.

The big question this all raises with me is: why? Why would you go back to a .NET framework version that has had a number of fixes over the years, some of which security fixes.

If you need to bind your application to specific framework versions or specific assemblies you can use a directive in the app.config/web.config to make that happen.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2009/04/20/9557946.aspx

For more information on running multiple versions of .NET side-by-side, see:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/8477k21c(v=VS.100).aspx

Saturday, May 07, 2011 7:51 PM
  • .NET framework 2.0 is required by the OS for Vista and above, these servicepacks are thus to make sure they are not outdated.

They are not duplicates, as applications requiring a specific .NET framework might need them to work properly.

You can safely keep these versions on your system and run Windows Update regularly to make sure you're up to date.

With Windows 8 there is a good chance that .NET 4.0 will be the default framework, making these older versions optional. The same happened with .NET 1.0 and 1.1 at some point on Windows XP. Windows Vista and newer no longer ship the .NET 1.0 and 1.1 framework by default.

So you can save yourself a lot of hassle and just keep these versions on your system.

Sunday, May 08, 2011 10:07 AM
  • Hi Scott,

Would you please let me know your OS versoin?

Like Jesse has pointed out, some versions of .NET Framework has installed as system components, so you can not uninstall them via Control Panel >> Uninstall a program. If you are using Windows Vista/Server 2008/7, you'll need to go to Control Panel >> Program and Features >> Turn Windows features on or off to remove .NET Framework.

For .NET Framework 3.0, 3.5 and 3.5 SP1, they are not a full framework -- they are just extensions of the .NET Framework 2.0, which add new features. And .NET Framework 4.0 is a full version Framework, which could install side-by-side with .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0, 3.5. For more information about .NET Framework Versions and Dependencies, please see: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb822049.aspx

For your concern, I would suggest you download and install the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and 4.0 from the links below in your system:

If you have any concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, May 12, 2011 7:00 AM

All replies

• This thread does not seem related to BizTalk so I am going to move it to a general .NET framework forum.

Thanks,

If this answers your question, please use the "Answer" button to say so | Ben Cline
    Friday, May 06, 2011 8:29 PM
  • .NET 2.0 sp2 is a prerequisite for both .NET 3.0 sp2 and .net 3.5sp1 and it is installed with both framework updates.

So in order to remove .NET 2.0 sp2, you'll have to remove .NET 3.0 and 3.5 from your system as well. You can't have the later framework versions without this update, as 3.0 and 3.5 are merely add-ons to the 2.0 CLR. Framework 4.0 is a completely new framework again, so that can be installed and removed separately.

Saturday, May 07, 2011 1:29 PM
  • From the download page: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 is a full cumulative update that contains many new features building incrementally upon .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, and includes cumulative servicing updates to the .NET Framework 2.0 and .NET Framework 3.0 subcomponents.
    Saturday, May 07, 2011 1:30 PM
  • I hope you do not mind me going over this issue again.  So both of those two have to be removed at the same time.  But then, you cannot go back & install the 3.0 by itself.  The correct solution is to install the Framework 4.0 afterwards & can be removed separately.  Anotherwords, this is not related to either the .NET 2.0 sp2, .NET 3.0, or .NET 3.5
    Scott C. Thackston
    Saturday, May 07, 2011 6:44 PM
  • .NET framework 2.0 contains the Common Language Runtime 2.0 (CLR2.0) this CLR is required to run Framwork 3.0 and 3.5.

The Framework 3.0 RTM, SP1 and SP2 installer do not require any additional patches or hotfixes on top of .NET 2.0.

Windows 2003 comes with .NET 2.0 installed 
    Windows Vista/2008 comes with .NET 2.0 sp1 and .NET 3.0 sp1 installed
    Windows 7/2008r2 comes with .NET 3.5, .NET 2.0sp1 and 3.0sp1

.NET 3.0 sp1 does not contain any changes to the 2.0 CLR and can be installed and removed separately
    .NET 3.0 sp2 does not contain any changes to the 2.0 CLR and can be installed and removed separately
    .NET 3.5 RTM includes .NET 2.0sp1 and 3.0sp1 and can be installed manually on 2003 or XP.
    .NET 3.5 SP1 includes .NET 2.0sp2 and 3.0sp2 and has to be installed manually on 2003, XP and Vista/2008.
    .NET 4.0 comes without the need to support a previous framework version and has to be installed manually on all platforms to date.

So, if you for whatever reason want to get rid of a specific version of .NET you might also have to remove a number of other versions depending on their requirements 

Plus you'd have to remove any patches that are installed on top of these framework versions. As you can also see, it is not possible to remove .NET framework 2.0 sp2 without removing .NET 3.5sp1.

The big question this all raises with me is: why? Why would you go back to a .NET framework version that has had a number of fixes over the years, some of which security fixes.

If you need to bind your application to specific framework versions or specific assemblies you can use a directive in the app.config/web.config to make that happen.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2009/04/20/9557946.aspx

For more information on running multiple versions of .NET side-by-side, see:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/8477k21c(v=VS.100).aspx

Saturday, May 07, 2011 7:51 PM
  • REPLY 2

So if you were me, you'd move on to Framework 4.0sp2 w/o question...  However, I'm in the dark as to manually removing the Framework 3.0sp2 & 2.0sp2 without Professional Help...  Then the next task is to manually download the Framework 4.0sp2 (going to the apprioprate website).  You have been extremely helpful up to now.  As I stated before, I failed on two previous attempts to Uninstall.

Scott C. Thackston
    Saturday, May 07, 2011 9:05 PM
  • I would keep .NET 2.0sp2 and 3.0sp2 installed.

I'd keep .NET 3.5sp1 installed

And as a developer working with Visual Studio 2010 I have .NET 4.0 installed as well. 

You still haven't explained why you want to remove these framework versions, they can be installed side-by-side and they work well together. There is no need to remove any of them.

Sunday, May 08, 2011 7:28 AM
  • The only reason would be to eliminate "outdated" programs (Framework 2.0sp2 & 3.0sp2.  You apparantly think they would not have to be uninstalled for this reason, plus they are not considered duplicate or triplicate programs.
    Scott C. Thackston
    Sunday, May 08, 2011 7:39 AM
  • .NET framework 2.0 is required by the OS for Vista and above, these servicepacks are thus to make sure they are not outdated.

They are not duplicates, as applications requiring a specific .NET framework might need them to work properly.

You can safely keep these versions on your system and run Windows Update regularly to make sure you're up to date.

With Windows 8 there is a good chance that .NET 4.0 will be the default framework, making these older versions optional. The same happened with .NET 1.0 and 1.1 at some point on Windows XP. Windows Vista and newer no longer ship the .NET 1.0 and 1.1 framework by default.

So you can save yourself a lot of hassle and just keep these versions on your system.

Sunday, May 08, 2011 10:07 AM
  •  

I'm moving this thread to .NET Framework Setup Forum to get better support.

Have a nice day!

Paul Zhou [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 8:59 AM
  • Hi Scott,

Would you please let me know your OS versoin?

Like Jesse has pointed out, some versions of .NET Framework has installed as system components, so you can not uninstall them via Control Panel >> Uninstall a program. If you are using Windows Vista/Server 2008/7, you'll need to go to Control Panel >> Program and Features >> Turn Windows features on or off to remove .NET Framework.

For .NET Framework 3.0, 3.5 and 3.5 SP1, they are not a full framework -- they are just extensions of the .NET Framework 2.0, which add new features. And .NET Framework 4.0 is a full version Framework, which could install side-by-side with .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0, 3.5. For more information about .NET Framework Versions and Dependencies, please see: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb822049.aspx

For your concern, I would suggest you download and install the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and 4.0 from the links below in your system:

If you have any concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]

Thursday, May 12, 2011 7:00 AM
  • Windows XP, but I'm not certain if it's 32 or 64 bit. Where can I locate this data on my Computer?

Scott C. Thackston
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 7:17 AM
  • Hi Scott,

If you have Windows XP, there are two methods to determine whether you are running a 32-bit or a 64-bit version. If one does not work, try the other.

Method 1: View System Properties in Control Panel

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. Type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.
    3. Click the General tab. The operating system is displayed as follows:
      • For a 64-bit version operating system: Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Version < Year> appears under System.
      • For a 32-bit version operating system: Windows XP Professional Version <Year> appears under System.

Note <Year> is a placeholder for a year.

Method 2: View System Information window

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. Type winmsd.exe, and then click OK.
    3. When System Summary is selected in the navigation pane, locate Processor under Item in the details pane. Note the value.
      • If the value that corresponds to Processor starts with x86, the computer is running a 32-bit version of Windows.
      • If the value that corresponds to Processor starts with ia64 or AMD64, the computer is running a 64-bit version of Windows. 

For more information, please see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827218

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]

Thursday, May 12, 2011 8:56 AM
  • I attempted both methods & both failed.  It says only Windows XP Home 2002 Service Pack 3. What other methods are there?
    Scott C. Thackston
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 8:45 PM
  • Windows XP Home only comes in an x86 flavor.
    Friday, May 13, 2011 7:19 AM
  • Hi Scott,

Any updates?

If you need further assistance, feel free to let me know. I will be more than happy to be of assistance.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 10:21 AM