none
Application has generated an exception that could not be handled

Question

• Dear all,

I have O/S windows vista home basic SP2 license copy
    while installing .Net Framework 1.1 on my laptop i receive following message:

"Application has generated an exception that could not be handled
    Process id=0x1f7c (8060), Thread id=0x1bfc (7164)
    Click of to terminate the application
    CLick cancel to debug the application"

Can anyone provide solution for the same asap.

Saturday, October 10, 2009 5:52 AM

Answers

• Hi

Make sure you r logged in as administrator
    Also check u have turned on Windows Features For .Net Framewk in Ctrl Panel

Create a new folder named DotNet in C:\ drive (C:\DotNet is used in this guide, you can change to any folder you prefer, but ensure that you use correct path in the following steps).
    Download Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Redistributable Package (dotnetfx.exe). Make sure the setup file is saved as dotnetfx.exe.
    Download Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 (NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe). Make sure that the file is renamed and saved as dotnetfxsp1.exe, so that the rest of the steps can be followed easily.
    Move both installation files into the same directory (i.e. C:\DotNet), if you’re not saving them together.
    Open command prompt as Administrator.
    Change to the directory where the two installation setup files for .NET 1.1 are saved (i.e. C:\DotNet).
    Run the following commands one by one, press Enter after each one.
    dotnetfx.exe /c:"msiexec.exe /a netfx.msi TARGETDIR=C:\DotNet"
    If you’re not using C:\DotNet directory, change the target to your path accordingly.

Then click on “Yes” when prompted to answer “would you like to install Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1. Package?”

Wait for the uncompression, extraction and setup to complete with the display of the following dialog which says installation complete.

dotnetfxsp1.exe /Xp:C:\DotNet\netfxsp.msp
    No status message for this step.

msiexec.exe /a c:\DotNet\netfx.msi /p c:\DotNet\netfxsp.msp
    Wait for Windows Installer for Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 to finish and disappear automatically.

Install Microsoft .Net Framework 1.1 with slipstreamed/integrated Service Pack 1 by running netfx.msi created in the working folder.

Refer this link for more info
    http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/12/27/install-microsoft-net-framework-11-on-windows-vista-fix-regsvcsexe-fails-error/
    http://geekycoder.wordpress.com/2007/10/08/installing-microsoft-net-11-framework-on-windows-vista-without-tears/
    Does this help ?

Try .NET Framework 1.1 redistributable file:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=262d25e3-f589-4842-8157-034d1e7cf3a3&displaylang=en

Let me know which application r u trying to run ?

Thanks
    anliS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Best Regards,
    anliS
    BIC
    Please remember to mark the correct replies as answers

• Marked as answer by pswapnilr Tuesday, October 13, 2009 7:33 AM
    Monday, October 12, 2009 5:06 AM
  • Hi Pswapnilr,

Thank you for your post.

To install .NET Framework 1.1 on Vista, could you please try slipstreaming .NET 1.1 and .NET 1.1 SP1?
    Please check: http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/12/27/install-microsoft-net-framework-11-on-windows-vista-fix-regsvcsexe-fails-error/

Before the installation, please try Cleanup Tool to clean the failure installation of .NET 1.1.

Please run the installer as administrator. (The installer must be run with administrator privileges - Right click the installer >> Click "Run as administrator")

If no avail, could you please check whether .NET Framework 1.1 is installed in Administrator permission and XP compatibility mode?

To configure the compatibility mode for an application, just locate the installation directory >> right click on the .exe >> select Properties from the menu >> Select the Compatibility tab >> Run in Win XP SP2 mode >> Apply.
    For similar issue, please see: http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=340120

Hope that helps. If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know..

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen

(This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.)
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by pswapnilr Tuesday, October 13, 2009 7:32 AM
    Monday, October 12, 2009 11:02 AM

All replies

• Hi

Windows Vista includes version 3.0 of the .NET Framework, allowing software developers to write applications without traditional Windows APIs.

U needn't install .net framework 1.1 on win vista. Its already included as part of OS .
    Ur applications which require .net Framework will work fine

Thanks
    anliS
    Best Regards,
    anliS
    BIC
    • Edited by silna Saturday, October 10, 2009 10:56 AM
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 10:31 AM
  • Hi,

i am aware of that since it is available in my lap. But the application i am trying to run insists to install .NET Framework 1.1.4322. I downloaded 1.1 from

microsoft site but while installing i get the error as mentioned above.

Any idea since it is important for me to run this application.

swap

Saturday, October 10, 2009 10:53 AM
  • Hi

Make sure you r logged in as administrator
    Also check u have turned on Windows Features For .Net Framewk in Ctrl Panel

Create a new folder named DotNet in C:\ drive (C:\DotNet is used in this guide, you can change to any folder you prefer, but ensure that you use correct path in the following steps).
    Download Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Redistributable Package (dotnetfx.exe). Make sure the setup file is saved as dotnetfx.exe.
    Download Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 (NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe). Make sure that the file is renamed and saved as dotnetfxsp1.exe, so that the rest of the steps can be followed easily.
    Move both installation files into the same directory (i.e. C:\DotNet), if you’re not saving them together.
    Open command prompt as Administrator.
    Change to the directory where the two installation setup files for .NET 1.1 are saved (i.e. C:\DotNet).
    Run the following commands one by one, press Enter after each one.
    dotnetfx.exe /c:"msiexec.exe /a netfx.msi TARGETDIR=C:\DotNet"
    If you’re not using C:\DotNet directory, change the target to your path accordingly.

Then click on “Yes” when prompted to answer “would you like to install Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1. Package?”

Wait for the uncompression, extraction and setup to complete with the display of the following dialog which says installation complete.

dotnetfxsp1.exe /Xp:C:\DotNet\netfxsp.msp
    No status message for this step.

msiexec.exe /a c:\DotNet\netfx.msi /p c:\DotNet\netfxsp.msp
    Wait for Windows Installer for Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 to finish and disappear automatically.

Install Microsoft .Net Framework 1.1 with slipstreamed/integrated Service Pack 1 by running netfx.msi created in the working folder.

Refer this link for more info
    http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/12/27/install-microsoft-net-framework-11-on-windows-vista-fix-regsvcsexe-fails-error/
    http://geekycoder.wordpress.com/2007/10/08/installing-microsoft-net-11-framework-on-windows-vista-without-tears/
    Does this help ?

Try .NET Framework 1.1 redistributable file:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=262d25e3-f589-4842-8157-034d1e7cf3a3&displaylang=en

Let me know which application r u trying to run ?

Thanks
    anliS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Best Regards,
    anliS
    BIC

• Marked as answer by pswapnilr Tuesday, October 13, 2009 7:33 AM
    Monday, October 12, 2009 5:06 AM
  • Hi Pswapnilr,

Thank you for your post.

To install .NET Framework 1.1 on Vista, could you please try slipstreaming .NET 1.1 and .NET 1.1 SP1?
    Please check: http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/12/27/install-microsoft-net-framework-11-on-windows-vista-fix-regsvcsexe-fails-error/

Before the installation, please try Cleanup Tool to clean the failure installation of .NET 1.1.

Please run the installer as administrator. (The installer must be run with administrator privileges - Right click the installer >> Click "Run as administrator")

If no avail, could you please check whether .NET Framework 1.1 is installed in Administrator permission and XP compatibility mode?

To configure the compatibility mode for an application, just locate the installation directory >> right click on the .exe >> select Properties from the menu >> Select the Compatibility tab >> Run in Win XP SP2 mode >> Apply.
    For similar issue, please see: http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=340120

Hope that helps. If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know..

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen

(This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.)
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by pswapnilr Tuesday, October 13, 2009 7:32 AM
    Monday, October 12, 2009 11:02 AM
  • Worked perfectly ! Thank You 
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 7:36 AM