none
TFS 2010 and SCVMM to manage snapshots/checkpoints

Question

• I have a VM with TFS 2010 and SCVMM 2008 installed on (I know you're told not to do that). I have SCVMM linked to the host and that's working good, and have configured the scvmm on the lab management tab on TFS.

My question is, how can you take/roll back snapshots automatically?

ie

1. install base
    2. take snapshot
    3. install patch
    4. run tests
    5. take snapshot
    6. go back to snapshot taken at step 2

Thanks in advance.

Is this possible? Or should I implement this with a CodedUI Test

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 1:52 PM

Answers

• The out of the box way would be to simply create a build  using the LabManagment, it will provide you with a defualt set of actions preconfigured for taking starting /creating/ VM's Install software, take snapshots, run tests amongs other.

If its not enough you can copy the lab buildprocess template and create your own customized lab build/test workflow

• Marked as answer by ELSheepO Tuesday, July 03, 2012 8:23 AM
    Wednesday, June 27, 2012 6:35 PM

All replies

• The out of the box way would be to simply create a build  using the LabManagment, it will provide you with a defualt set of actions preconfigured for taking starting /creating/ VM's Install software, take snapshots, run tests amongs other.

If its not enough you can copy the lab buildprocess template and create your own customized lab build/test workflow

• Marked as answer by ELSheepO Tuesday, July 03, 2012 8:23 AM
    Wednesday, June 27, 2012 6:35 PM
  • Thats Lab Management as in the same tab in the TFS admin console, or lab management as in visual studio test professional? If its the later, thats over our subscription level on msdn, is there anywork around?

Sorry, its just that I can't see anything else in the lab management tab on TFS. I don't have the network block set up as I'm only going to be working with one vm, should I configure it anyway?

• Edited by ELSheepO Thursday, June 28, 2012 8:01 AM
    Thursday, June 28, 2012 7:33 AM
  • Neither, If you have configured Lab Management you should be able to add or select a "LabDefaultTemplate.xaml" build process template.

The procedure is described in the MSDN How-To:Deploy an Application on a Virtual Environment, this is a direct link to Creating the build definition http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee471614#CreateBuildDefinition

Sunday, July 01, 2012 6:15 PM
  • I think I need visual studio test professional to do this. I can't seem to select an enviroment and looking through the links on the page you've linked I need to add the enviroment through VS Test Professional and MS Test Manager.

Or am I doing it wrong?

That drop down box is empty.

• Edited by ELSheepO Monday, July 02, 2012 8:26 AM added picture
    Monday, July 02, 2012 8:12 AM
  • The environment is defined in Microsoft Test Manager,  in Lab Managment center, once you defined an environment, you can use it i the lab test workflow

Monday, July 02, 2012 4:25 PM
  • Ya thats what I thought, our team is looking into upgrading the MSDN subscription to get Test Manager.

Thanks for your help, marking your answer as the answer. :)

Tuesday, July 03, 2012 8:23 AM