none
Installation - Failed to connect to SQL database.

Question

• When trying to install the TFSIntegrationTools (25 march 2011) I select the current SQL server instance on the machine (not the default SQLExpress).

When it starts to 'Executing SQL Strings' it throws an error stating 'Failed to connect to SQL database. (-2147467259 master )

At this point, I can only click OK and then the installer reverts everything.

Using SSMS (Microsoft Sql Server Management Studio) I can connect to the instance and query the master database using the same account.

MCP TFS 2010
    Professional Scrum Developer Trainer - Scrum.org
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 9:43 AM

All replies

• What are you entering at the database prompt?   Just the current machine name (to use the default SQL server instance)?   Or <machine name>\<instance name>?  Or something else?   Are you an administrator of that SQL server instance?
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 1:36 PM
  • I'm just using the 'default' instance of SQL Server, so I tried 'localhost', '<machinename>' and '.' : all give the same error.

I've verified using SSMS that I am indeed an administrator on the SQL server.

I'm doing this on a VM (the one available here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/briankel/archive/2010/06/25/now-available-visual-studio-2010-rtm-virtual-machine-with-sample-data-and-hands-on-labs.aspx)

I have also run the Installation on my windows 7 install and that actually does run using the default 'localhost\sqlexpress'.

MCP TFS 2010
    Professional Scrum Developer Trainer - Scrum.org
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 2:03 PM
  • I got this error, so instead of LOCALHOST\SQLEXPRESS I installed it to MYCOMPUTERNAME\SQLEXPRESS  

This worked for me

• Proposed as answer by Patrick Rehder Tuesday, October 02, 2012 7:02 AM
    • Marked as answer by Rudi - Euricom Tuesday, October 02, 2012 7:19 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Rudi - Euricom Tuesday, October 02, 2012 7:19 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Rudi - Euricom Thursday, April 10, 2014 12:11 PM
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 3:13 PM
  • I am getting the same error, and I have tried the 'machinename\instancename' with no luck.  I am on Win7 SP1 with SQL Server 2008 R2.  my account is a sysadmin role - so I'm not sure why this is failing.  any help is appreciated, thanks!
    Wednesday, March 21, 2012 8:26 PM
  • I'm also seeing this error.  An assistance would be appreciated

Matt Ruwe

Thursday, September 20, 2012 7:28 PM