none
Question: How to detect TFS 2010 installation during team explorer extension installation

Question

• Question: How to detect TFS installation during team explorer extension installation

I created a team explorer extension that triggers automated merge operations based on certain conditions. 

The extension has dependencies on the following TFS assemblies:

Microsoft.TeamFoundation
    Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Client
    Microsoft.TeamFoundation.VersionControl.Client

I created an installer (MSI) for the team explorer extension so it can be distributed among team members. I would like to add a launch condition that prevents the extension from installing if the TFS dependencies are not installed on the client machine.

I have reviewed the TFS SDK documentation but I have not been able to find any information on the proper way to verify the existance of these dependencies.

If anyone is able to provide some guidance on the proper way to validate the existence of the TFS dependencies so they can be intergrated with the installer I would greatly appreciate it.

Agustin M Rodriguez

Friday, March 30, 2012 7:42 PM

Answers

• Hi, Agustin

When you create Launch Condition, you can add file search. Search the three TFS assemblies exist in GAC. Take Microsoft.TeamFoundation as an example:

(Name): Search for File1
    Depth: 5
    FileName: Microsoft.TeamFoundation.dll
    Folder: [WindowsFolder]assembly\gac\Microsoft.TeamFoundation\
    MaxVersion: 11.99.0.0
    MinVersion: 10.0.0.0
    Property: FILEEXISTS1

Hope this gets you on right direction.

Forrest Guo | MSDN Community Support | Feedback to manager

Monday, April 02, 2012 2:48 PM

All replies