none
Runtime Error: This Application has requested the runtime to terminate in an unusual way

Question

• I have a Visual Basic 2005 program which runs fine if I execute the built Executable. However if I start the application in VS2005 debugger it gives a weird error

Runtime Error: <Program Name>

This Application has requested the runtime to terminate in an unusual way

Any clues on this issue? I cannot find an issue with the application, I tried setting breakpoints , traced all the way to bottom of call stack. The error is probably being thrown by the debugging engine! But why? None of my other VB programs show this issue!

Thanks,

Sid

Monday, August 06, 2007 9:51 PM

Answers

• Sidhartha,

I hope the following thread with the answers can help you:

Debugging Problems in VSNet 2005

Please check if you have any IE plugins that's causing problems. Open IE and choose the menu Tools->Manage Add-ons...

Then disable most of the ones currently loaded.  Then restart IE completely and try debugging again.

I started to have exactly the same error (iexplore.exe - Application ErrorThe exception unknown software exception (0x40000015) occurred in the application at location 0x7813461a.) after  in IE I unchecked "Disable Script Debugger(internet Explorer)".

So I had to Disable Script Debugger again to be able start my website with debugging from VS 2005.

I am using Windows 2003 server and VS 2005 Team Edition.

If you have any questions on Debugger issue, please post the question in Visual Studio Debugger forum. There are more exports on the debugger issue, I believe you can get your satisfying answers.

Thanks again for your question.

Friday, August 10, 2007 4:00 AM

All replies

• Sidhartha,

I hope the following thread with the answers can help you:

Debugging Problems in VSNet 2005

Please check if you have any IE plugins that's causing problems. Open IE and choose the menu Tools->Manage Add-ons...

Then disable most of the ones currently loaded.  Then restart IE completely and try debugging again.

I started to have exactly the same error (iexplore.exe - Application ErrorThe exception unknown software exception (0x40000015) occurred in the application at location 0x7813461a.) after  in IE I unchecked "Disable Script Debugger(internet Explorer)".

So I had to Disable Script Debugger again to be able start my website with debugging from VS 2005.

I am using Windows 2003 server and VS 2005 Team Edition.

If you have any questions on Debugger issue, please post the question in Visual Studio Debugger forum. There are more exports on the debugger issue, I believe you can get your satisfying answers.

Thanks again for your question.

Friday, August 10, 2007 4:00 AM

• I looked at that thread but there was nothing really that could help me. I also get a similar message.

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
    RunTime Error!

Program:J:\Setup.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.

I was trying to install Adobe After Effects 7.0 on my machine. I am running Vista Home Prenuim. And my internet browser I am using is FireFox. I've come to my wits end trying to figure out what the problem is. Ive looked everywere online to solve this problem and they keep refering to the IE solution. I've also noticed that with Vista that any program named Setup.exe will not execute. Anyway to fix that as well. I am taking Information Systems right now and even my professors did not know what is wrong.

Hope someone can help....
    Sunday, January 27, 2008 4:48 AM
  • I too am running into this error.  However, I'm getting the error in VS.NET 2002 Pro, when trying to create a C# Web Application.  I go through the New Project dialog, and when I click OK, it begins to create the project but crashes almost immediately.  If I do it twice in a row, I get the popup with the Runtime Error like above.  The executable cited is devenv.exe.

I'm not trying to do anything special, just create a blank Web Application.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Tuesday, February 12, 2008 9:37 PM
  • I suddenly got the error "The application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way" when opening a certain .cpp file in my project. I managed to overcome this cryptic problem by deleting the bloated (and probably corrupted) intellisense (.NCB) file in the root of my project.
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 9:22 PM

• Hi there,

To solve Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library u need to go to this link and downld the hotfix that will solve the problem

the link is : http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/307817

If this is not working then create a new admin account and then run the same hotfix and it will surely solve ur problem....

Thanks & Regards
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 6:20 PM