none
Check-in of empty folders from Team Explorer

Question

• Hi,

I'm currently evaluating Team System via the 180-day trial. One thing I noticed while setting up a test project is that folders that are empty do not get checked-in when using the Team Explorer UI(I'm trying to mirror a directory structure under configuration control).

I tried doing the same operation using the command line tools (tf add abc /r) and it does seem to work.

Is there a configuration option hidden somewhere in the Team Explorer UI that will allow to override this behavior (where empty folders are not checked-in) ?

Thanks,

Andre

Monday, March 12, 2007 6:22 PM

Answers

• Dear Andre:
      There is a known issue that when you check in an empty folder in the Team Explorer UI the UI does not perform the action. There is no configuration option in the Team Explorer UI that will allow to check in an empty folder. I apologize for this inconvenience and if there is anything else don't hesitate to ask.

Good luck.
    Tuesday, March 13, 2007 3:08 AM
  • Dear Andre:

There is also a way to add empty fold in the UI.  In the Source Control Explorer, right click client area of the list box which shows the local path (not the tree view panel). In the context menu, click 'New Folder'.  Or you can click new folder button in the Source Control Explorer. Unfortunately these empty folders cannot be added automatically to the Solution Explorer. You need add them by hand. Click 'show all files' in the Solution Explorer, right click the folders, select 'Include in project'. 

Good luck.

Monday, March 26, 2007 12:02 PM

All replies

• Dear Andre:
      There is a known issue that when you check in an empty folder in the Team Explorer UI the UI does not perform the action. There is no configuration option in the Team Explorer UI that will allow to check in an empty folder. I apologize for this inconvenience and if there is anything else don't hesitate to ask.

Good luck.
    Tuesday, March 13, 2007 3:08 AM
  • Hi Hua,

Thanks for the prompt reply and information. I'll keep using the command-line utility for these check-ins until the problem is resolved in the UI.

Cheers,

Andre

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 3:21 AM
  • Dear Andre:

There is also a way to add empty fold in the UI.  In the Source Control Explorer, right click client area of the list box which shows the local path (not the tree view panel). In the context menu, click 'New Folder'.  Or you can click new folder button in the Source Control Explorer. Unfortunately these empty folders cannot be added automatically to the Solution Explorer. You need add them by hand. Click 'show all files' in the Solution Explorer, right click the folders, select 'Include in project'. 

Good luck.

Monday, March 26, 2007 12:02 PM