none
I cannot install visual studio 2012 RC on windows 8 customer previews

Question

• Hi,

I get an error when i install visual studio 2012 RC. it shows that .net frame work version is too low to install (as figure 1). and then, i download the .net frame work 4.5 from  http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/3/B/E3B0BB03-0E05-4DA1-A244-124E0A2E5910/chs_netfx/x64/dotnetfx45lp_full_x86_x64zh-hans.exe. but it cannot be install too, it show that the .net frame work 4.5 has been part of my operation system. i find that after my C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework path, there are 6 folder (as figure 2),but i cannot find .net frame work4.5 on my computer. 

my question:

1. whether .net framework 4.5 has been exist on my OS.

2. how can i install visual studio 2012rc on my OS

3. if visual studio 2012rc cannot be install , which version's of visual studio should be used as alternative.

Figure1

Figure2

Thank you very much.

Sunday, July 01, 2012 1:55 AM

Answers

All replies

• Visual Studio 2012 RC is not supported on Windows 8 Consumer Preview.

The ONLY Windows 8 product that supports VS 2012 RC is Windows 8 Release Preview, available here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/download

• Marked as answer by dj1987 Sunday, July 01, 2012 2:09 PM
    Sunday, July 01, 2012 12:59 PM
  • Thank for you answer, i think i had to remove to windows 8 Release Preview.
    Sunday, July 01, 2012 2:09 PM
  • On win8 RP VS Ult 2012 RC appears to install fine. On opening the "getting started" I find text, links, and popups in MANDARIN CHINESE. What's up with that?

johnwerneken johnwerneken@netzero.net

I just notices to Mandarin choice buttons toward the top right; clicking the rightmost converted MOST but ny NO MEANS ALL of the text from Mandarin to English...
    Sunday, July 01, 2012 3:48 PM
  • I'm *on* Windows 8 Release Preview - and I still get this error trying to install VS2012 Pro. Any ideas?

Jason Teagle

Sunday, August 19, 2012 9:49 AM
  • Hello, Jason.

Please clarify " I still get this error ". Is the install blocked because of incorrect .NET Framework 4.5 version?

Also, please clarify *which* VS 2012 Pro you are trying to install. Is it the Release Candidate (RC) or the RTM?

If it's the RTM, the only Win 8 that supports it is Win 8 RTM.

Sunday, August 19, 2012 1:30 PM
  • Hello, Jason.

Please clarify " I still get this error ". Is the install blocked because of incorrect .NET Framework 4.5 version?

Also, please clarify *which* VS 2012 Pro you are trying to install. Is it the Release Candidate (RC) or the RTM?

If it's the RTM, the only Win 8 that supports it is Win 8 RTM.

Correct, I still get the blocked error due to .NET 4.5.

Unless I'm missing it, it doesn't say which version of VS2012... I didn't realise there were multiple versions. It's the version obtained by going here:

http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/11/en-us/downloads#professional

Can I ask why there are such restrictions on VS2012 vs. Win 8? I would have thought that would be the ideal combination to try since that would likely generate the most compatibility issues, both being brand new. That was my whole reason for downloading it, to try it out and help find any issues.

Jason Teagle

Sunday, August 19, 2012 1:37 PM
  • Hello, Jason.

You are trying to install the 90 day trial of Visual Studio 2012 Release to Manufacturing (RTM), i.e. the production release, on the Windows 8 Release Preview. That combination is not supported and that's why you see the error.

The 90 day trial of VS 2012 RTM you want to install is supported only on Windows 7 SP1, Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 8 RTM.

Why the restriction? My best guess is late changes to Win 8, .NET 4.5 and VS 2012 that are not backward compatible with pre-release Win 8 versions.

• Edited by pvdg42MVP Sunday, August 19, 2012 4:47 PM
    Sunday, August 19, 2012 4:47 PM
  • So is there are VS2012 version that's supported on Windows 8 Release Preview (the latest ISO image)?

My version says "Evaluation copy. Build 8400" in the lower right of my desktop.

I'm getting the same error as others within my fresh Win 8 install. VS2012 Pro 90-day trial won't install because the .Net 4.5 version is too low.

Sunday, August 19, 2012 8:59 PM
  • Hello, heetj.

There *was*. It was the Visual Studio 2012 Release Candidate (RC).

However, since VS 2012 went RTM, I don't see any links to VS 2012 RC now.

Basically, you're only option at this point (without buying Win 8) is to download the Win 8 trial:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/jj554510.aspx

install it, then install VS 2012.

Monday, August 20, 2012 1:44 AM
  • Hello, heetj.

There *was*. It was the Visual Studio 2012 Release Candidate (RC).

However, since VS 2012 went RTM, I don't see any links to VS 2012 RC now.

Basically, you're only option at this point (without buying Win 8) is to download the Win 8 trial:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/jj554510.aspx

install it, then install VS 2012.

Thanks for the information. I'll be honest and say it seems to be a bit of a messy situation and not exactly conducive to getting the product tested, but I'll try the combination you suggest. I did try installing VS 2012 on my Win 7 machine but things seemed to go horribly wrong - I think I made a mistake letting it import settings from a previous version as it won't compile anything, and IntelliSense is shot (possibly because of it pointing to the wrong SDK, which I can't seem to get it to fix). I am trying to uninstall it and start over but since it requires a reboot every time the wind changes direction it's a bit of a pain... hence I was trying Win 8 on a virtual machine as rebooting that was no big deal.

Jason Teagle

Monday, August 20, 2012 7:48 AM
  • Hi all. 've been having the same problem. i reinstalled windows 8 to my laptop (windows 8 release preview) and now i cannot install the VS2012 express editions (for Win8 or for Web).  This is very critical for me because i was developing some apps and now i have to develop them using the RC version.

My final understanding is that if we have windows 8 release preview, we have to find an older version of vs2012 rc (from someone who keeps a copy) or start with the trail versions till we buy. am i right??
    Sunday, September 16, 2012 1:40 PM
  • I believe it may install on the trial win8 rtm; the enterprise version of win8 rtm is freely available as a 90 day trial. at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/jj554510.aspx

Sunday, September 16, 2012 4:48 PM
  • Yes the VS2012 installs and runs fine on win8  Enterprise Version RTM 64 (90 Day Trial OS - the VS is a 90 day trial also :)

• Edited by johnwerneken Sunday, September 16, 2012 10:55 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Charith S Tuesday, September 18, 2012 2:59 PM
    Sunday, September 16, 2012 8:11 PM