none
AppFabric Cache 1.1 Crashing

Question

• After a few months of dealing with the previous version, 1.0, randomly running out of memory for no reason and of course becoming completely unresponsive and taking down our sites.  (3 cache servers, all with 4 gb of ram, and the memory would be distributed like: Server 1 400mb, server 2 350mb, and server 3 3300mb, not much of a load balance if you ask me).   We decided to upgrade to 1.1, hoping that you would actually make something that anyone could "trust".

So far, it seems to be load balancing the memory, which of course it should that was the whole purpose of this thing, but now we have a new issue.  It just likes to crash, constantly.

I get four errors in the eventlog in about 10 minutes, and then finally, the cache hosts just start going down.  I have included the event log information at the end of this message.  In another, I read that it is a bug with authentication and the solution is to just turn it off entirely.  I did and it has not crashed since 3 AM this morning, so that is a good sign.

However - that's crap - what is the real solution here? Switching to Redis? 

My setup, which seem to me to be rather basic:

Cache01, Win2008R2 Ent, 4GB ram,  Lead Server
    Cache02, Win2008R2 Ent, 4GB ram,  Lead Server
    Cache03, Win2008R2 Ent, 4GB ram,  Normal Server

My caches require one secondary, Eviction is LRU, with an expire default of 30 minutes.  This is part of a domain, I had configured all of the accounts I wanted to access this machine, and it did work for at least a few minutes. 

When using AppCache 1.0, we would get about 2 weeks before the memory on one server would just skyrocket and take down everything.  Doing a restart-cachecluster and repopulating the cache gave us another 2 weeks.  Until last night, when that didnt even work, which is when we upgraded to 1.1.

After spending 5 hours getting it to not crash in the middle of the night, well, at least 10 hours so far, I would like to know if there is a real fix for this issue that you are just keeping to yourselves, or if you have any plans what so ever to make this a stable product (please, just be honest, I will find something else).

------------------------------

Application: DistributedCacheService.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: System.Runtime.CallbackException
    Stack:
       at System.Net.Security.NegoState.WriteCallback(System.IAsyncResult)
       at System.Net.LazyAsyncResult.Complete(IntPtr)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
       at System.Net.ContextAwareResult.Complete(IntPtr)
       at System.Net.Sockets.BaseOverlappedAsyncResult.CompletionPortCallback(UInt32, UInt32, System.Threading.NativeOverlapped*)
       at System.Threading._IOCompletionCallback.PerformIOCompletionCallback(UInt32, UInt32, System.Threading.NativeOverlapped*)

Exception Info: System.Runtime.CallbackException
    Stack:
       at System.Net.Security.NegoState.WriteCallback(System.IAsyncResult)
       at System.Net.LazyAsyncResult.Complete(IntPtr)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
       at System.Net.ContextAwareResult.Complete(IntPtr)
       at System.Net.Sockets.BaseOverlappedAsyncResult.CompletionPortCallback(UInt32, UInt32, System.Threading.NativeOverlapped*)
       at System.Threading._IOCompletionCallback.PerformIOCompletionCallback(UInt32, UInt32, System.Threading.NativeOverlapped*)

Exception Info: Microsoft.ApplicationServer.Caching.DataCacheException
    Stack:
       at Microsoft.ApplicationServer.Caching.VelocityWindowsService.StartServiceCallback(System.Object)
       at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
       at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()
       at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback()

Faulting application name: DistributedCacheService.exe, version: 1.0.4632.0, time stamp: 0x4eafeccf
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17651, time stamp: 0x4e21213c
    Exception code: 0xe0434352
    Fault offset: 0x000000000000cacd
    Faulting process id: 0xb50
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cd49fe6aad989a
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\AppFabric 1.1 for Windows Server\DistributedCacheService.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
    Report Id: c8c5d051-b5f2-11e1-8f87-000c294552d9

Thursday, June 14, 2012 3:36 PM

All replies