none
Does Unit Test Explplorer support not all test types? How should such tests be run from VS11?

Question

• Hi,
    My problem is that tests of my custom test type which work fine inside VS2010 are not detected by Unit Test Explorer in VS11. I have noticed that web performance and load tests are not detected by Unit Test Explorer, too. Moreover these test types can be run during team build using VS2010 legacy mode only. So my questions are:
    1. Is it true that Unit Test Explorer detects only those tests which are discovered by test adapters based on new ITestDiscoverer and ITestExecutor interfaces?
    2. How should other tests (including built-in web performance tests and load tests) be run from VS11? Is the command in the test editor (i.e. the button on editor's toolbar) a sole possible way to run built-in web performance and load tests? Is it possible to run several web performance and/or load tests as a single action in VS11?

• Moved by lucy-liu Friday, April 06, 2012 8:49 AM it is a unit test issue (From:Visual Studio Extensibility)
    Wednesday, April 04, 2012 1:09 PM

Answers

• Hi Roman,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN forum.

Is the command in the test editor (i.e. the button on editor's toolbar) a sole possible way to run built-in web performance and load tests?

I try to create some tests in VS2011, as you said that it seems that we could get the unit tests, Coded UI tests and ordered tests in the unit test explorer. So as my understanding, we need to open them and then click “Run test” or “Run the load test” menu when we want to run the web test or the load test in the VS.

Actually, about the test issue in VS2011 Beta, you could post it in Test Tools in Visual Studio vNext forum for dedicated support. Thanks for your understanding.

Have a nice day,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, April 09, 2012 4:35 AM

All replies

• Hi Roman,

I will move this thread to "Visual Studio Unit Testing" forum for a better support.

Thank you for your understanding!

Lucy Liu [MSFT]

Friday, April 06, 2012 8:48 AM
  • Hi,

I have found information related to built-in web-performance and load tests. Yes, they can be run only from the commnad on the editor's toolbar. It seems that it is possible to run several these tests as a single action putting them into an ordered test. But I still need the confirmation that Unit Test Explorer really does not support an old test type object model and some mistake in my code is not an actual reason that UTE does not detect my test type. And several new questions have appeared. So my questions are:

1. Is it true that Unit Test Explorer detects only those tests which are discovered by test adapters based on new ITestDiscoverer and ITestExecutor interfaces?

2. I have found the mention here

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/bhuvaneshwari/archive/2012/03/13/authoring-a-new-visual-studio-test-adapter.aspx

that some third interface must be implemented in order to make UTE aware of tests based on extensions different from "dll" and "exe". I need to know about this secret interface because my tests are not based on .exe/.dll extensions.

3. The results of my test contain additional information why it passed or failed. I would know available means to output this information and where it will be shown. (Currently I implement the ITuip.InvokeResultViewer method for that. I create a tool window with web browser inside it and show a web page which content is formed from test results). Can I receive control when the user is about to browse details of results of my test?

I own MSDN subscription so it seems that the answer to my request must be given by a Microsoft engineer for 2 days.

Thank you

Friday, April 06, 2012 2:29 PM
  • Hi Roman,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN forum.

Is the command in the test editor (i.e. the button on editor's toolbar) a sole possible way to run built-in web performance and load tests?

I try to create some tests in VS2011, as you said that it seems that we could get the unit tests, Coded UI tests and ordered tests in the unit test explorer. So as my understanding, we need to open them and then click “Run test” or “Run the load test” menu when we want to run the web test or the load test in the VS.

Actually, about the test issue in VS2011 Beta, you could post it in Test Tools in Visual Studio vNext forum for dedicated support. Thanks for your understanding.

Have a nice day,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]

Monday, April 09, 2012 4:35 AM