none
Opening an Access DB and getting 3358 Cannot open the Microsoft Jet engine workgroup information file.

Question

• I have inherited a vb.net app that opens Access databases via DBEngineClass, where upon code scans those Access db's for various information.

Today it was reported from the field that when these files are opened locally (eg, users hard drive) everything works great - but when the files are opened over a network we get this 3358 Microsoft Jet error (as shown in the title and below).

Can anyone tell me why this is happening and if there is any resolution for such a circumstance?

3358 Cannot open the Microsoft Jet engine workgroup information file.

Thanks!

Tuesday, April 06, 2010 7:47 PM

Answers

• Thanks...  Forget about it...  We figured it out...  Would love to post the solution, but as with just about every post I do on MSDN, they are all "in the wrong forum".  (Ever think you guys have TOO MANY forums?  Or is the purpose so you can dodge all questions?)

Really useful support folks - like throwing a drowning person an anchor.

• Marked as answer by B_E_L Thursday, April 08, 2010 2:11 PM
    Thursday, April 08, 2010 2:11 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I am sorry to say that this question is off-topic in this forum. This forum is mainly targeted at VSTO technology which extends the UI of Office 2003/2007. You could refer to this forum's PLEASE READ FIRST to know more about this technology. We could create a document-level or an application-level project of which template is on New project dialog. To find the templates we could used for VSTO project, please choose New->Project->Visual C#/Visual Basic->Office->2003/2207. However, there is no a template for Access on this dialog. For Access question, I recommend you post this issue to Access newsgroup. You will find an appropriate entry link from the above link.

Best regards,
    Bessie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Thursday, April 08, 2010 5:21 AM
  • Thanks...  Forget about it...  We figured it out...  Would love to post the solution, but as with just about every post I do on MSDN, they are all "in the wrong forum".  (Ever think you guys have TOO MANY forums?  Or is the purpose so you can dodge all questions?)

• Marked as answer by B_E_L Thursday, April 08, 2010 2:11 PM
    Thursday, April 08, 2010 2:11 PM

LOL!  I couldn't agree with you more!  Every time I look in here, this is what I see.  I don't think anyone actually answers questions here.

Mike

Wednesday, April 09, 2014 11:05 PM
  • So, I'm going to move the message to the right forum: Access for Developers...

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Saturday, April 12, 2014 4:22 PM