none
VS2012 Pro "Blend for Visual Studio 2012" Not useable for any purpose on a windows 7 machine. Why supply an unusable product?

Question

• What is going on? Why was a Blend product installed on my windows 7 development machine as part of VS2012 release when that Blend under these conditions cannot actually be used or run for any purpose whatsoever?

When I try to start Blend for VS2012 pro, all I get is an advert for a preview release of a commercial product NOT included in the MSDN Pro subscription. (see image) that does not come with the MSDN pro subscription. I cannot even use it to develop windows 8 apps.

Oh yes now I finally get around to reading the very fine print and Blend for VS2012 is ONLY usable on a windows 8 development machine for developing Windows 8 apps)

I hope Microsoft realise how much brand harm they are causing by playing fast and loose in the fine print with what Blend is, and is not. We are developers, not lawyers or sales people you know.

I also hope Microsoft realise how much MSDN Pro subscribers are feeling like second class citizens, having to fork out yet more money for a technology like Blend that is clearly becoming essential to the development process in Visual Studio.

As an Australian cutting edge single person developer I struggle to justify my MSDN pro subscription as it is. Now I have to buy Expression 4 from the Australian Microsoft store at well over twice the price of exactly the same product in the US store.

Australia has a free trade agreement with USA. Microsoft now use regional restrictions to no longer let me even see the US store to compare prices.

No wonder I am grumpy.

• Edited by Jeltz Thursday, September 06, 2012 6:07 AM
    Thursday, September 06, 2012 6:06 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Jeltz,

Thanks for your feedback of Microsoft Products, and I am very sorry for the your current scenario. I will report this issue to the appropriate team, may they can figure out one workaround for you.

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Friday, September 07, 2012 8:57 AM
  • As far as I am aware there is no workaround except to purchase Expression 4 studio Ultimate because this outcome is by design. By design Blend for Visual Studio 2012 pro on a windows 7 machine is installed but can never be run for any purpose except to provide a link to "Install Blend - SketchFlow Preview for visual Studio 2012". According to Microsoft's own product description, it can only be used to develop Windows 8 apps on a Windows 8 machine. So why install it on a windows 7 development machine by default?

The preview advertised in the dialog box posted above is no use except for evaluation because it has no Go Live license, and will MSDN Pro subscribers get the final release useable on windows 7 as part of the subscription? Well microsoft do not comment on future releases is what we are told. I take that to mean we will be paying extra fo it. Why is there such a lack of respect within Microsoft commercial for MSDN Pro subscribers?

Saturday, September 08, 2012 6:32 AM
  • Hi Jeltz,

Very sorry for the inconvenience. I have reported this issue to our PG members.

Or you can also submite one feedback about it on the Microsoft Connect site here: https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/CreateFeedback.aspx

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, September 10, 2012 2:18 AM
  • As far as I am aware there is no workaround except to purchase Expression 4 studio Ultimate because this outcome is by design. By design Blend for Visual Studio 2012 pro on a windows 7 machine is installed but can never be run for any purpose except to provide a link to "Install Blend - SketchFlow Preview for visual Studio 2012". According to Microsoft's own product description, it can only be used to develop Windows 8 apps on a Windows 8 machine. So why install it on a windows 7 development machine by default?

The preview advertised in the dialog box posted above is no use except for evaluation because it has no Go Live license, and will MSDN Pro subscribers get the final release useable on windows 7 as part of the subscription? Well microsoft do not comment on future releases is what we are told. I take that to mean we will be paying extra fo it. Why is there such a lack of respect within Microsoft commercial for MSDN Pro subscribers?

Did you ever create a connect issue for this? I also think it is a very bad design and should be removed.
    Friday, October 12, 2012 11:00 AM
  • I agree. Whom ever thought of this idea should be fired. I think the installer is worse than the bad install experience in visual studio 2010.

Why dont I have the option to exclude VB.Net, or any other .net languages for that matter?

The "Cram it down our throat" approach wont work.

Corporate environments wont be on Windows 8 for a long long time.

Cut the crap Microsoft.

Sunday, October 21, 2012 5:27 PM
  • This is yet another example of Microsoft abusing their position as the market leader in Windows development tools.  Why on earth would you install a product by default on a platform for which it can never work?

Risible.

Thursday, December 06, 2012 11:45 AM
  • I'm not sure why everyone is so upset. When that error dialog pops up, simply click on the provided link and install Blend + Sketchflow Preview. I did that and am using it to produce mockups from within Visual Studio 2012. Also, if I'm correctly understanding what I read, Update 2 fixes the issue and allows the versions of Blend and Sketchflow that install with Visual Studio 2012 Professional (and higher) to work on Windows XP SP3 and Windows 7 machines. Here are a couple of links that might help, but please read carefully versus just skimming through it:

http://www.microsoft.com/expression/

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2013/01/30/first-ctp-for-visual-studio-update-2.aspx

Data Analyst

Monday, February 25, 2013 3:00 PM
  • I just updated from VS Studio Version 11.0.60223.01 Update 2 CTP to Version 11.0.60315.01 Update 2. The CTP Version was fine and i was able to work with Blend and edit my WPF-projects. Now the ability is gone ??? My experience with updates is that software should get better and not even worse. Update 2 is totally unusable if you got Update 2 CTP before and used Blend  :///
    Thursday, April 18, 2013 1:34 PM