none
Samdog

Question

• I have Framework 2.0 servce pack 2 and Framework 3.0 service pack 3 and Framework 3.5 SP1 stored in the add/remove

listing on my computer.  Can/May I remove part or all of these  to save space ????

Wednesday, January 04, 2012 2:52 PM

Answers

• In a word, no.

First, .NET Frameworks are on your system to support programs designed to run in the managed environment provided by the .NET Framework. Removing frameworks from your computer will probably result in many of the programs you use daily no longer working. Many Windows programs require .NET Framework support.

Further, .NET Framework 2.0/3.0/3.5 is all one framework. 2.0 is the base, full, framework. 3.0 and 3.5 are extensions to 2.0. Therefore, you cannot remove 2.0 and keep 3.0 or 3.5.

I strongly recommend that you leave the installed .NET Frameworks alone!

If there is a reason you are asking about removing them, please share it with us. We may be able to suggest alternative ways to reach your goal.

Wednesday, January 04, 2012 3:33 PM

All replies

• In a word, no.

First, .NET Frameworks are on your system to support programs designed to run in the managed environment provided by the .NET Framework. Removing frameworks from your computer will probably result in many of the programs you use daily no longer working. Many Windows programs require .NET Framework support.

Further, .NET Framework 2.0/3.0/3.5 is all one framework. 2.0 is the base, full, framework. 3.0 and 3.5 are extensions to 2.0. Therefore, you cannot remove 2.0 and keep 3.0 or 3.5.

I strongly recommend that you leave the installed .NET Frameworks alone!

If there is a reason you are asking about removing them, please share it with us. We may be able to suggest alternative ways to reach your goal.

Wednesday, January 04, 2012 3:33 PM
  • Thank You  very much

I just like to remove items from the hard drive that is NOT being used.

Thank you again 

Wednesday, January 04, 2012 5:16 PM
  • Hi 105samdog29681,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

I agree with pvdg42. Many applications are developed based on .NET Frameworsks. So i recommend you leave them alone too.

In addition, if his answer is helpful to you, could you please mark his answer ? Thank you for understanding.

Best regards, 

Barry Wang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Thursday, January 05, 2012 10:55 AM