none
Resource Compiler error RC2247 SYMBOL name too long

Question

• Given that Google only has 4 (barely) related matches, I guess I'm one of the few that have encountered this and can't figure out what's wrong.  The line number referred to in the error message is line 0 which only has a comment.  VS help doesn't have an entry for this particular message.  Anyone have a clue? 
    Wednesday, August 27, 2008 7:31 PM

Answers

• I may have found it.  I have a multiline string...

#define LONGSTRING "a somewhat longer than usual \
    text string ............................................................................... \
    that totals.................................................................................\
    306 characters."

It compiles OK, but when VS parses the .rc to populate the 'Resource View', boom.

VS2003/5 handled this same code for quite some time.

Bummer, I kind of liked using the Resource View and editing resources in VS.  Hand editing is a pain!

• Proposed as answer by Neil Tippett Thursday, August 28, 2008 3:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by Yan-Fei Wei Monday, September 01, 2008 8:47 AM
    Thursday, August 28, 2008 3:45 PM

All replies

• I've tried a couple of the obvious reasons why this might occur in both VS2005 and 2008 and haven't been able to reproduce. Perhaps an MSFT can tell you what it means?

Failing that could you either:

• If the rc file is not too large (<200 lines) post the contents of it in a post
    • or upload it to somewhere where it can be downloaded from and post a link

Additionally can you tell us what version of Visual Studio you are using?
    Wednesday, August 27, 2008 8:33 PM
  • Sorry, VS2008 SP1.  Before SP1 VS would just crash and ask if I want to debug itself.  So SP1 in a way is an improvement.

I have a .rc file that includes a few headers.  Currently I can compile the .rc without error.  The VS error comes about when I try to expand/open the .rc file in the Resource View.  I can see the RC start to run but before the resources are displayed I see the crash.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 3:35 PM
  • As I suggested, the best way to investigate this would be to post the rc file! No MSFTs have posted anything (yet!).
    Thursday, August 28, 2008 3:42 PM
  • I may have found it.  I have a multiline string...

#define LONGSTRING "a somewhat longer than usual \
    text string ............................................................................... \
    that totals.................................................................................\
    306 characters."

It compiles OK, but when VS parses the .rc to populate the 'Resource View', boom.

VS2003/5 handled this same code for quite some time.

Bummer, I kind of liked using the Resource View and editing resources in VS.  Hand editing is a pain!

• Proposed as answer by Neil Tippett Thursday, August 28, 2008 3:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by Yan-Fei Wei Monday, September 01, 2008 8:47 AM
    Thursday, August 28, 2008 3:45 PM