none
WCF Service- Client Class Diagram

Question

• Hi

I have implemented a three layer web site project. Business layer is composed of a WCF service. Presentation layer uses this WCF service. Data access layer is used by WCF. The project is working. But I have a difficulty of showing the relation between WCF service and its client in a UML class diagram with visual studio 2010. I'm seeing classes and interfaces on architecture explorer but I couldn't establish the relation in class diagram.

Have you came across any tutorial or example on this issue. Thanks. 

Friday, August 06, 2010 1:31 PM

Answers

• Hi.

First, I'm sorry for the late reply.  I was on vacation enjoying the great Pacific NW summer! :)

Back to the problem at hand.  I'm not sure I understand your situation.  You can find the classes/interfaces in the Arch Expl.  Do you have them on a class diagram?

If so, you should be able to just drag new relationships from the toolbox to connect the different shapes.  You can also make connections using the context menu on a selected shape.

If not, you can get them on a class diagram in one of two ways:

1.   Create them manually.  Use the toolbox to add classes/interfaces and name them according to the names in your code.  You can add methods/properties as you deem necessary to communicate the details.  You can also add the different relationships from the toolbox as well.    This method is a bit slower, but it keeps you focused on the important content.

2.   With an MSDN subscription, you can download the Modeling and Visualization Feature Pack and use it to reverse engineer the structure from the Arch Expl to the class diagram.  Just select in the AE, and drag/drop to the diagram.

Of course, if I don’t understand your situation, please reply with more details so we can sort it out.

Phil

Phil Lee | Program Manager | Visual Studio Architecture Tools
    Monday, August 16, 2010 7:38 PM
  • Depending on the kind of information that you want to visualize, there's a couple other alternatives:

A) Are you using the layer diagram tools? If not, you can add a layer diagram to your solution, drag from Architecture Explorer (or Solution Explorer) to create layers on the layer diagram (or define the layers first and then drag items to them), right-click the diagram, and then click Generate Dependencies to see the existing relationships. For more information, see Layer Diagrams: Guidelines.

B) Generate dependency graphs to visualize the relationships between classes. Use Architecture Explorer to select the elements and relationships that you want to see and then generate a dependency graph from the selected items. For more information, see:

Esther Fan | Visual Studio, Content Lead | If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post. Thanks!
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 7:00 PM

All replies

• Hi.

First, I'm sorry for the late reply.  I was on vacation enjoying the great Pacific NW summer! :)

Back to the problem at hand.  I'm not sure I understand your situation.  You can find the classes/interfaces in the Arch Expl.  Do you have them on a class diagram?

If so, you should be able to just drag new relationships from the toolbox to connect the different shapes.  You can also make connections using the context menu on a selected shape.

If not, you can get them on a class diagram in one of two ways:

1.   Create them manually.  Use the toolbox to add classes/interfaces and name them according to the names in your code.  You can add methods/properties as you deem necessary to communicate the details.  You can also add the different relationships from the toolbox as well.    This method is a bit slower, but it keeps you focused on the important content.

2.   With an MSDN subscription, you can download the Modeling and Visualization Feature Pack and use it to reverse engineer the structure from the Arch Expl to the class diagram.  Just select in the AE, and drag/drop to the diagram.

Of course, if I don’t understand your situation, please reply with more details so we can sort it out.

Phil

Phil Lee | Program Manager | Visual Studio Architecture Tools
    Monday, August 16, 2010 7:38 PM
  • Depending on the kind of information that you want to visualize, there's a couple other alternatives:

A) Are you using the layer diagram tools? If not, you can add a layer diagram to your solution, drag from Architecture Explorer (or Solution Explorer) to create layers on the layer diagram (or define the layers first and then drag items to them), right-click the diagram, and then click Generate Dependencies to see the existing relationships. For more information, see Layer Diagrams: Guidelines.

B) Generate dependency graphs to visualize the relationships between classes. Use Architecture Explorer to select the elements and relationships that you want to see and then generate a dependency graph from the selected items. For more information, see:

Esther Fan | Visual Studio, Content Lead | If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post. Thanks!
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 7:00 PM