none
Visual Studio 2010: Is there a difference in performance between the Professional, Premium, and Ultimate Editions?

Question

• I recently upgraded from VS2008 Standard and notice that the VS2010 Ultimate IDE response is sluggish relative to VS2008 (TFS is not installed if that makes any difference).  I was wondering if my perceived difference is due to the additional features of Ultimate edition, and if using Professional or Pemium instead will result in a 'snappier' user interface?  The o/s platform is an AMD64 3200+ laptop with 2GB RAM running XP.  Thanks, -BGood
    Saturday, May 01, 2010 10:23 PM

Answers

• Hi BGood,

Some clarification with you:
    When did you feel that "the VS2010 Ultimate IDE response is sluggish relative to VS2008"?

For the different editions of Visual Studio 2010 products, they have different features inside VS IDE. (The above version has additional features) 
    For more information on product comparison, please check:
    http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/products
    Thus, it would be hard to say whether it would be faster if you use Professional or Premium edition.

I'm not quite sure why VS2010 Ultimate IDE doesn't work smooth as you expected since there would be some possible causes like hardware or software.

For hardware, to install VS2010, at least, we need to meet the following hardware requirements.

1.6 GHz or faster processor
    1024 MB RAM (1.5 GB if running on a virtual machine)
    3 GB of available hard-disk space
    5400 RPM hard-disk drive
    DirectX 9-capable video card running at 1024 x 768 or higher display resolution

For more information, please see: 
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/C/E/8CE18AE7-CAA8-4A4C-87CF-0C3DF772322D/VS2010RTM.htm
    (Check "Hardware Requirements")

If you have higher hardware equipment, the performance would be better.

Additionally, the performance would also be affected by some third party software. You can try to running devenv.exe /Safemode in Command to eliminate some possible cause of any 3rd-party software conflict.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Tuesday, May 11, 2010 3:48 AM
    Monday, May 03, 2010 8:11 AM
  • Hi BGood,

Thank you for your reply.

Visual Studio Premium Edition is included in Visual Studio Ultimate Edition. So when the shortcut is clicked (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe), Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate Edition will be launched.
    As far as I know, we cannot launch Visual Studio Premium Edition separately as a part of Visual Studio Ultimate Edition.

Visual Studio 2010 Premium Edition and Ultimate Edition share some stuff on your machine. Thus, if you remove any of them, it might cause some problem.
    Thus, you should:
    1. Leave them there
    2. Remove both of them to start from scratch and install Ultimate Edition again

If you want to test the performance of the two products, you should install them on two separate machine to have a try.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Friday, May 21, 2010 3:40 AM
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 4:37 AM

All replies

• Hi BGood,

Some clarification with you:
    When did you feel that "the VS2010 Ultimate IDE response is sluggish relative to VS2008"?

For the different editions of Visual Studio 2010 products, they have different features inside VS IDE. (The above version has additional features) 
    For more information on product comparison, please check:
    http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/products
    Thus, it would be hard to say whether it would be faster if you use Professional or Premium edition.

I'm not quite sure why VS2010 Ultimate IDE doesn't work smooth as you expected since there would be some possible causes like hardware or software.

For hardware, to install VS2010, at least, we need to meet the following hardware requirements.

1.6 GHz or faster processor
    1024 MB RAM (1.5 GB if running on a virtual machine)
    3 GB of available hard-disk space
    5400 RPM hard-disk drive
    DirectX 9-capable video card running at 1024 x 768 or higher display resolution

For more information, please see: 
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/C/E/8CE18AE7-CAA8-4A4C-87CF-0C3DF772322D/VS2010RTM.htm
    (Check "Hardware Requirements")

If you have higher hardware equipment, the performance would be better.

Additionally, the performance would also be affected by some third party software. You can try to running devenv.exe /Safemode in Command to eliminate some possible cause of any 3rd-party software conflict.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Tuesday, May 11, 2010 3:48 AM
    Monday, May 03, 2010 8:11 AM
  • I experienced the same thing - VS2010 felt "sluggish".  I was running it in a Server 2008 64-bit Virtual machine w/ 2GB of RAM, and I'd been running VS2008 in the same VM.

I figured it was due to the WPF shell.  I installed it in my main computer - Windows 7 with a Radeon 4870 graphics card - and now VS2010 doesn't feel sluggish.

I have a sneaking suspicion that on any non-gaming level video card VS2010 is going to feel slow relative to VS2008.  After all, it's the first release of a major rewrite of the shell.  And Microsoft delayed the release due to performance issues.

Monday, May 03, 2010 2:14 PM
  • Hi BGood,

Does the above suggestion work?

If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Wednesday, May 05, 2010 2:56 AM
  • Hi,

I haven't been able to check devenv yet, but my hardware specs appear to exceed the minimum requirements.  It took me a while to check, but the video is Directx 9 compatible according to manufacturer:

"Video is powered by the ATI Radeon XPress 200M IGP video/graphics card, which delivers good, though not high-end, 3D graphics. It also offers 128 MB of dedicated video RAM. ATI's HyperMemory technology allows the chipset to run in either Unified Memory Architecture (UMA) mode or with dedicated frame buffer memory to enhance graphics performance. "

Thanks,

-BGood

Wednesday, May 05, 2010 9:17 PM
  • Hi BGood,

Thank you for your feedback.

Frankly speaking, for the performance of VS IDE, it is kind of difficult to troubleshoot it online since it is quite related to the environment on the machine. The cause would be many.

If you have any further concern, please feel free to let me know and provide me more information on which performance you think that "the VS2010 Ultimate IDE response is sluggish relative to VS2008".

Have a nice day.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Thursday, May 06, 2010 3:20 AM
  • Hi BGood,

I've marked my reply as answer. If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Have a nice week!

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 3:48 AM
  • Hi YiChun,

Thanks for your assistance. I suspect that the "sluggish" relative performance between VS2008 Standard and VS2010 Ultimate on my development laptop (HP dv6130us AMD64 3200+ w/2GB RAM under XP Home) relates to a combination of factors:

1. The additional feature set in VS2010 Ultimate (TFS, unit testing, lab, virtualization etc) even though I am not using them.

2. DirectX video usage for screen zooming, etc.

3. The relatively spartan feature set in VS2008 standard.

4. The vintage nature (2005) of my laptop hardware.

As a basic comparison, it take VS2010 Ultimate between 0:45-1:04 to load from the Windows desktop, compared with 0:27-0:35 for VS2008 Standard.  Once loaded, it takes VS2010 Ultimate 1:11-1:35 to load my development project, compared with 1:00 in VS2008 Standard.

My motivation in upgrading to VS2010 was for a few enhanced features which were not available in VS2008 and I do not particularly want to revert to VS2008.  I am investigating whether I can download VS2010 Professional and Premium editions in order to do a side-by-side comparison. 

Thankyou for your advice and I will report nack on my findings.

-BGood

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 3:51 PM
  • Hi BGood,

You're welcome!

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 4:56 AM
  • Yichun,

I downloaded Visual Studio 2010 Premium for purposes of side-by-side comparison with Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate, but with both products installed, only VS Ultimate loads and I have not discovered how to test VS Premium.  On my system, the startup exe is:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe"

Do you know how I enable startup of VS Premium?  At this point I have both products installed, and I am thinking about removing VS Ultimate since it is probably overkill for 1-person software development.

Thanks, -BGood

Thursday, May 20, 2010 2:16 AM
  • Hi BGood,

Thank you for your reply.

Visual Studio Premium Edition is included in Visual Studio Ultimate Edition. So when the shortcut is clicked (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe), Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate Edition will be launched.
    As far as I know, we cannot launch Visual Studio Premium Edition separately as a part of Visual Studio Ultimate Edition.

Visual Studio 2010 Premium Edition and Ultimate Edition share some stuff on your machine. Thus, if you remove any of them, it might cause some problem.
    Thus, you should:
    1. Leave them there
    2. Remove both of them to start from scratch and install Ultimate Edition again

If you want to test the performance of the two products, you should install them on two separate machine to have a try.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Friday, May 21, 2010 3:40 AM
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 4:37 AM
  • Thanks YiChun. 

I think I'll remove both and reinstall Premium since I already have the preformance metrics for ultimate.

-BGood

Thursday, May 20, 2010 1:13 PM
  • Hi BGood,

It's my pleasure!

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Friday, May 21, 2010 3:39 AM
  • Hi, at this point I want to say something about performance differences between VS 2008 and 2010.

while doing a performance test on a web site, VS 2010 gives better results than VS 2008 on the very same web site with same scenerio! What do you think about this ?

Thursday, August 04, 2011 11:07 AM
  • Hi Rastek,

I can only cite from my own experience, but on my 2GB HP AMD64 laptop under Windows XP it was taking Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate up to 5 minutes to load the IDE with my project.  I ended up abandoning the laptop and moving everything over to a new desktop I built up. The new computer is an AMD Phenom II X4 840 w/ 8GB RAM and a 64GB SSD under Windows 7.  With Visual Studio and Windows on the C: SSD, the system boots in about 15 seconds from power on and Visual Studio loads in about 3-5 seconds.  A much more pleasant development environment.

-BGood
    Friday, August 05, 2011 1:26 AM