[OTP] vb6 - how can i measure an elapsed time in milliseconds?

Question

• hi, im a hischool student and i'm doing my project for graduation in visual basic. The program is about a way to measure the reaction time. I want to measure that in milliseconds, but I was only able to measure the elapsed time in seconds. How can I measure the elapsed time in seconds!

a lot of thanx

rorro

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 5:13 AM

Answers

• DateTime is a synonym for the VB Date Datatype. There are the same and interchangible. However, for .NET 2005 (VB 2005) using the System.Diagnostics.Stopwatch structure would yield higher resolution timing than the Date type.

With regards to types not being defined you must ensure that the type you're using is qualified and/or in-scope. Technically both DateTime and Timespan are defined in the System namespace. Typically this namespace is imported by default but if for whatever reason it isn't you may fully qualify the type names as System.DateTime and System.Timespan. If for whatever reason you have some namespace also named System in your project you can further qualify them as Global.System.DateTime and Global.System.Timespan.

However, Date is a language keyword that evaluates the same ast the DateTime structure and is always in scope so you should use it when convenient. Regardless I still highly recommend the Stopwatch if you're using .NET 2.0 as it was made for this type of thing.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 12:14 AM
  • These forums are for VB.NET and there are better places to find answers for older versions of VB. Maybe the

VB6 newgroups - http://msdn.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion&lang=en&cr=US

Or perhaps the VB6 resource center
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/vbrun/

or  perhaps www.vbcity.com may be useful places to search for answers on VB6 related questions.

Hopefully this helps.

Friday, August 18, 2006 12:13 AM

All replies

• The following should get you started:

Dim StartTime As DateTime = DateTime.Now()

... Do your processing here.

Dim EndTime As DateTime = DateTime.Now()

Dim Span As TimeSpan = EndTime - StartTime

Console.WriteLine(Span.TotalMilliseconds)

Hope this helps,

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 5:57 AM
  • thank you!!!! I will try it and I will let you know if it works or not!

a lot of thanx,

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 6:09 AM
  • Hi, first of all I want to thank you for trying to help me.

I tried and it didn´t work. the dim as DATETIME does not exist, and the dim span as timespan neither. What else can I do???

Thanx again,

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 10:08 PM
  • DateTime is a synonym for the VB Date Datatype. There are the same and interchangible. However, for .NET 2005 (VB 2005) using the System.Diagnostics.Stopwatch structure would yield higher resolution timing than the Date type.

With regards to types not being defined you must ensure that the type you're using is qualified and/or in-scope. Technically both DateTime and Timespan are defined in the System namespace. Typically this namespace is imported by default but if for whatever reason it isn't you may fully qualify the type names as System.DateTime and System.Timespan. If for whatever reason you have some namespace also named System in your project you can further qualify them as Global.System.DateTime and Global.System.Timespan.

However, Date is a language keyword that evaluates the same ast the DateTime structure and is always in scope so you should use it when convenient. Regardless I still highly recommend the Stopwatch if you're using .NET 2.0 as it was made for this type of thing.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 12:14 AM
  • I tried the sample code, and it worked for me.  You may want to explicitly import the System namespace before any declarations.

Ex:

Imports System  'try this to resolve the DateTime, and TimeSpan issues

Module Module1 'first declaration.

Sub Main()

Dim StartTime As DateTime = DateTime.Now()

' your process code here.

Dim EndTime As DateTime = DateTime.Now()

Dim Span As TimeSpan = EndTime - StartTime

Console.WriteLine(Span.TotalMilliseconds)

End Sub

End Module

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 12:25 AM
  • I think the original post was a question based upon Visual Basic 6.0 not VB.Net as the System namespace is allready included in all VB.Net projects based upon the Console Application and Windows Application templates.

For VB 6.0, you would need to use the Win32 API ... an example solution would be:

'****************************************************

'Copy the following into a single VB 6.0 mdule

'****************************************************

Option Explicit

Public Declare Function GetTickCount Lib "kernel32" () As Long

Public Sub Main()
        Dim dtStart As Long
        Dim dtEnd As Long
        Dim result As Long
        Dim i As Integer

dtStart = GetTickCount

For i = 0 To 10000
            DoEvents
        Next

dtEnd = GetTickCount

result = dtEnd - dtStart

MsgBox "Duration is " & result & " milliseconds."

End Sub

Thursday, August 17, 2006 8:44 PM
  • Thank you SGBScourge! it was almost what I wanted. I´m going to detail more about my program. It is in VB 6.0. I have 2 command bottons, 1 timer and 1 shape. First you press cmdbotton 1, it makes that the timer begins. After a x time it apears the shape that was hidden. When the shape apears the timer get off. And you have to press cmdbotton 2 so you can see how fast did you react. The time elapsed between the shape apears and the cmdbotton 2 press, it's the one I want to measure. It has to be in milliseconds.

Hope someone can help me

Lots of thanx

Thursday, August 17, 2006 9:51 PM
  • For VB6 Help, look at any of the resources described in the following post:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=551512&SiteID=1

Thursday, August 17, 2006 11:54 PM
  • These forums are for VB.NET and there are better places to find answers for older versions of VB. Maybe the

VB6 newgroups - http://msdn.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion&lang=en&cr=US

Or perhaps the VB6 resource center
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/vbrun/

or  perhaps www.vbcity.com may be useful places to search for answers on VB6 related questions.

Hopefully this helps.

Friday, August 18, 2006 12:13 AM