none
WIC not included in .NET 4 client profile - can it be redistributed?

Question

• Hi, our commercial product is using the .net 4 client profile.  .NET 4 depends on but does not include WIC.  We support w2003 and it also does not include WIC.   Customers may have 100's of machines and automatically deploy our application.  Individual installation of wic is not an option for them.  The wic download site does not indicate if it can be redistributed.    Is WIC legally redistributable?     Thanks.

Tuesday, February 01, 2011 11:58 PM

All replies

• Hi Mike,

Thanks for your post.

First, there is one thing I would like to clarify with you:

• Do you want to inculde the WIC redistribute package in your setup project?

The Windows Imaging Component (WIC) package contains the components required for image processing of some XPS image formats. WIC will be redistributed as an executable package (exe). You can access the WIC package and redistribution agreement at the following URLs:

For more information, please see: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/print/printdrv_redist.mspx

I hope this will help.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, February 03, 2011 7:55 AM
  • Hi,

I am experiencing the exactly same problem.

Can you please advice me in including the Windows Imaging Component (WIC) package in the SetupProject so that it's automatically installed?

Thanks.

Tuesday, February 08, 2011 3:00 PM
  • I think I found a bootstraper for WIC on this blog  and the file exactly here.

Thanks,

Ionut.

Wednesday, February 09, 2011 9:38 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.   My concern is that I do not see a redistributable agreement from MS saying that it is okay to redistribute the package.  Have you found such a redist agreement?

Thursday, February 10, 2011 2:08 PM
  • Hi Andrew, thanks for the reply. 

I have seen the link and text you have used.  It says that a redist agreement is at the urls listed but i cannot find such an agreement.  Would you point to the agreement that says it's legal to redistribute this package.

Yes, if it's okay to redistribute the package then we plan to include it with our setup program as a prereq.  The setup program will check to see if the package is installed and if not will display a dialog indicating that the package is needed and it will offer to run the WIC setup.

Another concern is all of the language versions.  Do you know if .net 4 will install if only the english version of the package is installed?

Thanks

Thursday, February 10, 2011 2:12 PM