none
WinForms and MySQL

Question

• Im developing a WinForms app ( C# ) .Net 2.0 SDK, VS2005

The architecture is:

• One MySQL database located on the web host.
    • Multiple ( posibly 100+ ) clients.

The client apps will be WinForm executables, which will work in online/offline mode.
    Basically, these apps will make entries on  the local machine, which will sync with the db on the server periodically. These entrie will be read/write for all the other authenticated clients.

My query : How do i use the database ?

1. Shud i use the MySQL connectore and get the app to work wid the db directly?
    2. Shud i use web requests that read/write to the db via .php scripts.

The second case possibly the only one, becos access to the db is locked via domain_name/ip_address acl.

Monday, March 29, 2010 3:35 PM

Answers

• If you have a locked DB based on domains, you're best option is to make a web service that handles the DB requests for you.

This also has the advantage of providing an extra security layer between the world at large and your DB.

Reed Copsey, Jr. - http://reedcopsey.com
    • Marked as answer by Roahn Luo Thursday, April 01, 2010 6:14 AM
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 4:50 PM

All replies

• If you have a locked DB based on domains, you're best option is to make a web service that handles the DB requests for you.

This also has the advantage of providing an extra security layer between the world at large and your DB.

Reed Copsey, Jr. - http://reedcopsey.com
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 4:50 PM
  • Thank you Reed, i will look into them Web Services. Havent really gone about much into them before.

Any pointers, articles or links that would prove useful w.r.t. Web Services.

Edit: MySQL+Apache on the domain. WebServices ? Still a good idea ..?

Thursday, April 01, 2010 4:17 PM