none
deleted this file by Mistake visual C++ 2005 ATL update kb 973923 x86 8.0.50727.4053

Question

• I am not sure it is realated but it does seem odd.

Now I have problems with my excel files.

I have windows 7 Pro. 64 bit

How can I reinstall the file I deleted.

I tried to restore the system ...It will not restore to previous points.

WHen I open up excel I get the following message.

Complie errors in hidden modules:Tools

This error ususally occues when the code is incompatable with earlier versions or platform or archituture of this application.

What do I need to do to get the file back...

THis may not be the cause but it happened shortly after I deleted it

THanks

MIke

Mike

Friday, February 10, 2012 12:21 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I would like you to know KB973923 is not released in Download Center. The full versions of the fixed Visual C++ 2005 (KB973544) is listed on the Microsoft Download Center. The update listed on SMS, ConfigMgr, WSUS, and MU (KB973923) are updates only for customers who have previously installed vulnerable versions of the Visual C++ redistributable packages. These updates are not the versions on the download center. Microsoft does not recommend customers redistribute any version other than the full versions that can be downloaded from the Microsoft Download Center (KB973544).

You can download Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package ATL Security Update (KB973544) for a test.
    http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=14431

If the Excel persists, I suggest you post in Office forum for more professional assistances.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/excel/threads

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 7:22 AM

All replies

• Now I have problems with my excel files.

I have windows 7 Pro.

How can I reinstall the file I deleted.

I tried to restore the system ...It will not restore to previous points.

WHen I open up excel I get the following message.

Complie errors in hidden modules:Tools

This error ususally occues when the code is incompatable with earlier versions or platform or archituture of this application.

What do I need to do to get the file back...

THis may not be the cause but it happened shortly after I deleted it

THanks

MIke

Mike

• Merged by Lie You Wednesday, February 15, 2012 1:54 AM Merged them to keep good discuss.
    Tuesday, February 07, 2012 5:25 AM
  • Hi Mike,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Here is a KB in Microsoft support site about the “Compile
    error in hidden module”. There are some methods to resolve this issue for your
    reference:

You receive a "Compile error in hidden module" error message when you
    start Word or Excel

And as you said, I think you can try to update the OS to see
    if it will be resolved.

Click the Start button, click All Programs, and then click Windows Update.

And I would suggest you to try to post it at Windows 7 IT Pro category for efficient responses.

Windows 7 IT Pro Category

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,
    Rocky Yue[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

• Edited by Lie You Wednesday, February 08, 2012 9:19 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Lie You Monday, February 13, 2012 3:11 AM
    Wednesday, February 08, 2012 9:18 AM
  • Hi,

I would like you to know KB973923 is not released in Download Center. The full versions of the fixed Visual C++ 2005 (KB973544) is listed on the Microsoft Download Center. The update listed on SMS, ConfigMgr, WSUS, and MU (KB973923) are updates only for customers who have previously installed vulnerable versions of the Visual C++ redistributable packages. These updates are not the versions on the download center. Microsoft does not recommend customers redistribute any version other than the full versions that can be downloaded from the Microsoft Download Center (KB973544).

You can download Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package ATL Security Update (KB973544) for a test.
    http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=14431

If the Excel persists, I suggest you post in Office forum for more professional assistances.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/excel/threads

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 7:22 AM
  • how do i get to your site

Mike

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 2:57 PM
  • how do i get to your site

Mike

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=Visual%20C%2B%2B%202005%20

AND QUIT MAKING SO MANY POSTS FOR THE SAME PROBLEM AND THEN NOT RESPONDING TO PEOPLE!!!!

ONE POST PER SUBJECT!!!

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 6:19 PM