none
Got GAC? Not on this machine...

General discussion

•  
    Hello all,

On one particular client machine, when I install the dotnet framework (2.0 SP1,
    downloaded from MSDN), even though the installer indicates a successful
    installation, when I look at the GAC via explorer, it always indicates that
    there are 0 assemblies.

As a result,  any dotnet applications we try to deploy on this machine
    results in a publisher policy file not found error which ultimately ends up with
    FileNotFoundException on System.dll. 

The only workaround seems to be putting these executables in the
    Microsoft.Net\Framework\v2.0.50727 folder where the framework was installed,
    which is not an acceptable solution.

Uninstalling and reinstalling the framework does not help. This was tried
    numerous times to no avail.

On most other machines, the very same framework installer properly populates
    the GAC as expected and the dotnet applications deployed on them will run
    from their normal deployment folders. 

The user account that DotNet and our application is installed from is in the
    administrators group on this machine so it does not appear to be permissions related.
    What could be preventing the GAC from being populated? Is there something
    else I can do to rebuild the GAC?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

cycloptic
    • Changed type Figo Fei Monday, July 14, 2008 7:06 AM the op has no follow up yet, change to comment for further discussion
    Monday, July 07, 2008 3:47 PM

All replies

• What is your Windows version?
    Did you mean you get nothing in the folder C:\WINDOWS\assembly?
    You can also try using command prompt to check if there is really nothing in it via dir command.

And to check your .NET Framework installation, you can use the tool available for download here: http://astebner.sts.winisp.net/Tools/netfx_setupverifier_new.zip
    It can be used to verify all versions of the .NET Framework (1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 2.0 SP1, 3.0, 3.0 SP1 and 3.5) on any supported OS and processor architecture.

For more information, see:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2008/03/03/8015158.aspx

Thanks.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Wednesday, July 09, 2008 3:51 AM
  • Assuming the assmeblies can be found via dir command, I'd suspect potential issue in the machine.config in config subfolder under the corresponding .NET folder (typically C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727)
    If you are still stuck there, I suggest to repair/reinstall .NET Framework with administrative priviledge, otherwise you're expected to register assemblies by gacutil.exe.

Please feel free to let me know your current status.

Thanks.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Edited by Figo Fei Monday, July 14, 2008 7:43 AM add machine.config cause
    Monday, July 14, 2008 7:16 AM