none
Cannot find Windows Service Template in Visual Studio 2005 Standard Edition! Any other way to get it?

Question

• Hi there,

I have got visual studio 2005 standard edition installed on my machine but cannot find a windows service template. I have even tried re-installing it but no avail. Surprisingly my peers using the same version have the template available.

I am working with c# if that helps and i look for it, when i create a new project i choose windows within visual c# which has all the other template like windows application, console app, windows control library, class library, web control library and empty project templates, but no windows service template.

Is there a way to install it from the installation disk or download it?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Nom

Thursday, July 12, 2007 11:39 AM

Answers

• Yea that was a bit strange too. I could not find that zip in my templates as well and that windows service zip is not even available to download. The zipped templates provided by the visual studio usually reside in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\ProjectTemplates\CSharp\Windows\1033 and i did not have the windows service zipped template where as all my other peers who have the same version installed has it.

So what is did is copied that zipped template from their pc to my folder and opened visual studio but still no template. So i ran the above install templates command from the visual studio command prompt. And it installed that zipped window service template. and then when i opened the vs again it was there.

Let me know if you want that zipped template and i will email it to you.

Regards

Noman M.

I HAVE BEEN GETTING MANY REQUEST TO EMAIL THE WINDOWS SERVICE TEMPLATE AND SPEND MOST OF MY DAY EMAILING IT. SO I DECIDED TO UPLOAD IT TO THE SERVER WHERE EVERYONE CAN DOWNLOAD IT FROM.

FOR THE VISUAL C# WINDOWS SERVICE GO TO http://www.megaupload.com/?d=U0F8A8D6.

FOR THE VISUAL BASIC WINDOWS SERVICE -> http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7YNTZDAN

GOOD LUCK PEOPLE!

Thursday, July 19, 2007 11:07 AM
  • Got it - very simple. Worked likea charm. What happens is sometimes during installation or changes the templates dont get installed properly. All you have to do is open visual studio command prompt from Start -> All programs -> there should be Visual Studio there, select visual studio tool and select visual studio command prompt. Once you are on the command prompt type

devenv /installvstemplates. Hit enter sit back and relax. Once its done reopen visual studio and the templates should be there.
    Try it hope it works.

Thanks

Monday, July 16, 2007 11:10 AM

All replies

• Got it - very simple. Worked likea charm. What happens is sometimes during installation or changes the templates dont get installed properly. All you have to do is open visual studio command prompt from Start -> All programs -> there should be Visual Studio there, select visual studio tool and select visual studio command prompt. Once you are on the command prompt type

devenv /installvstemplates. Hit enter sit back and relax. Once its done reopen visual studio and the templates should be there.
    Try it hope it works.

Thanks

Monday, July 16, 2007 11:10 AM
  • I've got the same problem, I tried to use "devenv /installvstemplates" but it doesn't work. I'm even not able to find the WindowsService.zip template file under the ProjectTemplates path of Visual Studio 2005. If this could help I've got a lot of templates installed, including .Net framework 3.0 vs extensions, WiX project extensions and third part projects templates, all of them work correctly. Since I did not use WindowsService template till now, I can't tell when it stopped work properly.
    Thanks for help
    Thursday, July 19, 2007 9:14 AM
  • Yea that was a bit strange too. I could not find that zip in my templates as well and that windows service zip is not even available to download. The zipped templates provided by the visual studio usually reside in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\ProjectTemplates\CSharp\Windows\1033 and i did not have the windows service zipped template where as all my other peers who have the same version installed has it.

So what is did is copied that zipped template from their pc to my folder and opened visual studio but still no template. So i ran the above install templates command from the visual studio command prompt. And it installed that zipped window service template. and then when i opened the vs again it was there.

Let me know if you want that zipped template and i will email it to you.

Regards

Noman M.

I HAVE BEEN GETTING MANY REQUEST TO EMAIL THE WINDOWS SERVICE TEMPLATE AND SPEND MOST OF MY DAY EMAILING IT. SO I DECIDED TO UPLOAD IT TO THE SERVER WHERE EVERYONE CAN DOWNLOAD IT FROM.

FOR THE VISUAL C# WINDOWS SERVICE GO TO http://www.megaupload.com/?d=U0F8A8D6.

FOR THE VISUAL BASIC WINDOWS SERVICE -> http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7YNTZDAN

GOOD LUCK PEOPLE!

Thursday, July 19, 2007 11:07 AM
  • yes, please, send me the the .zip template file. It would be great if you can send me also the VB version found on C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\ProjectTemplates\VisualBasic\Windows\1033, cause I tried to make my own, but I wasn't able to tell the IDE not to search for a Main shared method as starting object.
    Regards

Thursday, July 19, 2007 11:57 AM
  • I have emailed it to your tiscali.it address. Let me know if you get them. Make sure you close all the vs windows and then run the install from the vs command prompt after putting those zipped files in their respective dir. Let me know how it goes.

Cheers

Thursday, July 19, 2007 12:11 PM
  • It works fine, many thanks.
    Just for saying, I was closer to the solution to build my own template than I thought; I only had to add to the Service.Designer.vb file for the template the main entry point as follows:

' The main entry point for the process

<MTAThread()> _

<System.Diagnostics.DebuggerNonUserCode()> _

Shared Sub Main()

Dim ServicesToRun() As System.ServiceProcess.ServiceBase

ServicesToRun = New System.ServiceProcess.ServiceBase() {New Service1}

System.ServiceProcess.ServiceBase.Run(ServicesToRun)

End Sub

If this could help others...
    bye
    Thursday, July 19, 2007 12:50 PM
  • Would you mind send the Windows Service template also to me, please?

My e-mail address is flaeln@libero.it

I've got the same problem...

Thanks in advance

Friday, July 20, 2007 4:32 PM
  • Yea sure on your way! First copy the zipped files den run the install command. Cheers
    Friday, July 20, 2007 4:37 PM
  • Will you send it to me too please? - tone333@charter.net

Maybe Microsoft should make this file available somewhere??  I have 2 machines - one with Visual Studio enterprise, the other with Team Edition - neither of which have this template. 

Thanks,

Tone

Sunday, July 22, 2007 1:28 PM
  • Nevermind I found it when I expanded the Visual C# tree and looked in the Windows node.  Before I was just looking in the parent (root) tree node.
    Sunday, July 22, 2007 1:33 PM
  • Hi,

Please could you email me the template as well to deonmeyer@gmail.com

Greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Monday, July 23, 2007 1:52 PM
  • If you have the VB version of the Service Template  could you plz send it to joel.delatorre@gmail.com 

Thanks!!
    Monday, July 23, 2007 3:36 PM
  • Hi,

Can someone send me the zip file as well?(for visual c#)

My address is tnsai at tnsai.org

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Darren

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 1:35 AM
  • Sure its on your way at tnsai@tnsai.org.
    Tuesday, July 24, 2007 10:24 AM
  • Could I get you to send me the template as well? Email is srchasjc@hotmail.com

Thanks in advance!

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 10:48 AM
  • If you still have a template or copy of it, can you send me one?

I have a Yahoo! Disposable Address at chicken989-john@yahoo.com.au

I couldn't find any other template any-where but here.

If you send the message, thank you - I will appreciate it!

Friday, July 27, 2007 7:37 AM
  • Hi!

I am using Visual C# 2005 Express and have not got the template yet.

Can you send one to chicken989-john@yahoo.com.au ??

Thank you - It will be very appreciated!

Friday, July 27, 2007 7:44 AM
  • Guys, I installed VS 2005 Pro, and not only didn't it have the templates, but the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\ProjectTemplates directory (and ItemTemplates) was missing as well!

Can anyone help me?

PS: my installation only had two CDs, and the autorun pops up the SQL Server 2005 Development Edition installation, which includes the VS 2005... is this ok? Am I missing some CDs?

Thanks!

Friday, July 27, 2007 8:28 PM
  • Would you mind sending it to me as well.  Thanks

richie dot pierce at gmail.com
    Saturday, July 28, 2007 2:34 AM
  • Would you be so kind to send me the Visual Basic versione of the template?

Thank you very much for you precious help.

my email is sbertelli@interfree.it

Saturday, July 28, 2007 9:00 AM
  •  

Hi there

I have the Standard Edition and in the Project Templates folder i have 4 folders. CSharp, JSharp, VB, and Web and each of them has folders which has templates based on the Service.

So you are saying your Project Templates Folder is completely empty and has nothing. And also if you have VS 2005 pro than why the pop up for the SQL open seems like its SQL Server 2005 with Visual Studio Express.

Can you provide more information.

Thanks

Monday, July 30, 2007 11:09 AM
  • PLEASE NOTE:

If you are running VS Express Edition than I would suggest you to install the Standard Edition as you may not have the option to go to the Visual Studio tools command prompt to install the templates as Express Edition does not give you those benefits. You can download the standard edition for free from any torrent site.

Monday, July 30, 2007 11:15 AM
  • Hi.

I had the same problem.

I just followed  the instructions given above to copy the zip file and install it.

It works!!!!!!!

Thanks!!!!!!!

SRIT

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 7:39 PM
  • I had the same problem and this fixed it, thanks very much!

-J

Friday, September 07, 2007 4:37 PM
  • I had the same problem with VS 2005 Express.

I downloaded and installed the Service Pack 1 for this product from the microsoft site and it fixed it fine.

That's avalable in the section: MSDN / Developer Centers / Visual Studio Developer Center / Downloads

Regards

Rob
    Thursday, October 11, 2007 2:22 PM
  • Nom, can I possibly get a copy of the 2 windows service templates that you have? For C# and VB.NET? Thank you so much in advance.

Friday, October 19, 2007 5:53 PM
  • Just to let y'all know:
    1. The download links still work.
    2. I didn't have the VS...Tools in my Start;All Programs for some reason, but a standard command window works fine. Just do this:

cd C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE

devenv /installvstemplates

Thanks much!!!

Sunday, June 01, 2008 5:30 AM
  •   

Hi,
    I think “Working with Windows service Using Visual Studio 2005” article on

http://aspalliance.com/1316_Working_with_Windows_Service_Using_Visual_Studio_2005.all may be helpful in this discussion.

This popular white paper is written by a software engineer from our organization Mindfire Solutions (http://www.mindfiresolutions.com/).

I hope you find it useful!

Cheers,
    Byapti

Thursday, September 18, 2008 9:25 AM
  • Thanks a lot Nom84. It solved my problem.

I had VS 2008 Std Edition installed on Vista Home Premium. I think the standard edition does not have WindowsService project template.
    I downloaded from the megaupload (for VB), copied it to the specified folder, closed Visual Studio, opened Visual Studio 2008 command prompt (if you have vista, right click the command prompt and click "Run As Administrator, as UAC feature of Vista blocks from performing the operation), ran the command to install the template, re-opened Visual Studio and it worked like a charm. I can now see the WindowsService template under Visual Basic -> Windows (that's where I copied).

Thanks again Nom84 :-)

Vishal

Vishal Sheth
    Friday, August 07, 2009 12:45 AM
  • I faced the same issue when starting a tutorial on how to create windows services.. got to say you have really helped me here too :) ... jst want to say thank you for your help ..
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 2:39 PM
  • Would you mind send the Windows Service template also to me, please?

My e-mail address is vijeyan@gmail.com / vijeyan@yahoo.com

Thanks

Vijayakumar

Monday, November 23, 2009 3:26 AM
  • just follow this link if u haven't already, it was on a previous post in this page - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=U0F8A8D6 .

Monday, November 23, 2009 6:06 AM
  • I am also facing the same issue. 

Neither "devenv /installvstemplates" nor "copying the templates from megaupload" helped. The IDE doesn't understand the temples I guess.

I am unable to create Windows Service using CPP, but not with C# or VB.

My system is installed with visual studio 2005 and SP2, in vista business 32 bit.

Do i need to install vista sp1??

Please suggest.

Live Life
    Friday, November 12, 2010 11:13 AM
  • Hi there,

I have got visual studio 2005 standard edition installed on my machine but cannot find a windows service template. I have even tried re-installing it but no avail. Surprisingly my peers using the same version have the template available.

I am working with c# if that helps and i look for it, when i create a new project i choose windows within visual c# which has all the other template like windows application, console app, windows control library, class library, web control library and empty project templates, but no windows service template.

Is there a way to install it from the installation disk or download it?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Nom

I do not get even the Visual C# tree in my Visual Studio 2010. Any idea why?
    Sunday, December 12, 2010 10:04 AM
  • just follow this link if u haven't already, it was on a previous post in this page - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=U0F8A8D6 .

Thank you so much!
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 11:19 AM
  • I made a template for Visual Studio 2010 Express you can get it at my blog: http://blog.larmib.com/2011/windows-service-template-for-visual-studio-2010-express/ it is for Visual Basic.
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 6:15 PM
  • Thank you for your sharing.

http://www.cogzidel.com/

• Edited by rajanrufus Tuesday, December 27, 2011 8:22 PM
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 8:20 PM
  • well, I know it's been a few years. but I had to go back and find the template and guess what? Mega Upload.com got shut down.

After some very intense searching (over an hour) I ended up finding it on a local computer here. I have reposted it for download. I only had the C# version. sorry.

http://www.outrun.org/shiz/WindowsService.zip

I highly recomment someone else re post it because I don't know how much longer it's going to be there.

I followed the instructions above and it worked for both VS 2005, and VS 2008.

for vs2008 I went to options - > projects and solutions and pasted it into the Project Templates Directory shown there.

At the very least you can paste it into your "my templates" folder in your "my documents" -> vs 2008 folder and it will show up when you select "new project" without any kind of command prompt.  you might have to close / open visual studio a couple times.

• Edited by roger_27 Friday, March 09, 2012 9:20 PM
    Friday, March 09, 2012 9:18 PM