none
Visual Studio 2010 Professional Trial Extension Key doesnt work

Question

• Hi,

I have a key to extend the Visual Studio Professional trial, however, when applying the key I get the following error.

"This product key cannot be used to extend the use of this product."

The key that I am trying is RGP94-KHYCY-HKY2G-RYPK2-2932C

Regards,

Cain O'Sullivan

Monday, August 02, 2010 12:44 PM

Answers

All replies

• See this blog entry for information: Buying a Visual Studio 2010 product key or extending the Visual Studio 2010 Trial Edition.

Regards,

- Kemp Brown [MSFT]
    Tuesday, August 03, 2010 12:32 AM
  • Hi Cain,

Thank you for your post in MSDN forum!

Some clarification with you

1, how do you register Visual Studio on your machine?

2, Kemp’s suggestion is great! Could you please follow the following steps to register Visual Studio?

Does it work well?

As your concern, I would provide you more information, which could refer. 

More information you could refer two links as follows.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms246600(VS.80).aspx

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2010/04/15/master-product-key-to-upgrade-activate-visual-studio-2010-ultimate-premium-and-professional/

It might be helped you solve your concern better!

Look forward for your good news!

Best Regards
    Larcolais Gong
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Wednesday, August 04, 2010 2:53 AM
  • Hi cosullivan,

I'm writing to follow-up this post. Do the above suggestions help you solve your concerns?

I'm marking this post as Answered. If you have any findings and concerns, please feel free to unmark this post.

Best Regards

Larcolais Gong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Monday, August 09, 2010 2:25 AM
  • No, that does not work. Its a shame that Microsoft cannot fix this issue and 2010 is over almost. That product key for trial NEVER works. I tried by modifying the setup.dsb file as one oif your mods mentioned, that does not work either!!!! If I input the product key, it either says its invalid or accepts it and then says Component cannot be installed!!

If Microsoft cannot give a trial properly, its best not to give at all! It wastes everyones time and shows how unprofessional MS policies are!!

I will not post any technical details here, as MS anyway cannot fix it!!

CT
    Wednesday, December 29, 2010 10:10 PM
  • Trial key still NOT fixed and the problem remains the same at the end of 2010!!!

Kids in Microsoft would have done a better job, if they were recruited!

Bottomline: VS Pro Trial  key does NOT work - ToDo for MS : Get it fixed!!

CT
    Wednesday, December 29, 2010 10:12 PM
  • I am having the same problem. I called MS professional customer support, and they confirmed that my product key is valid for MS Visual Studio 2010. I was told that there isn't a department to handle trial version support calls so I should post my question here. Just to review:

I paste my Product Key and click "Activate" and get this error:

"This product key cannot be used to extend the use of this product."

Please help. Thank you!

Monday, May 16, 2011 5:02 PM
  • Hi PositiveComputing.

I suggest you can open a new thread in this forum. You will get more helpful suggestions from other members.

Best Regards,

Larcolais Gong[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 7:53 AM
  • I was redirected here by MS member support... is there still no solution almost 2yrs on?

"I am having the same problem. I called MS professional customer support, and they confirmed that my product key is valid for MS Visual Studio 2010. I was told that there isn't a department to handle trial version support calls so I should post my question here. Just to review:

I paste my Product Key and click "Activate" and get this error:

"This product key cannot be used to extend the use of this product.""

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 5:13 AM
  • 1.  The problem could be that you had previous versions of VS installed and they won't uninstall fully - so the newer version detects and says your PC cannot install trial version again as it has expired.

2. I solved this by uninstalling any previous versions (if any and all of it ) FULLY. MS provides a COMPLETE UNINSTALL utility for this that removes all of VS from your system. Try using this and instal VS again - it should work - its like installing it fresh.

Try this, it should work.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/deployment_technologies/archive/2010/05/07/visual-studio-2010-rtm-uninstall-utility-is-now-available.aspx

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 4:35 PM
  • No way, i have visual studio express for web installed, which i use seperately to the pro trial.  I dont want to uninstall it all as i'll have to download everything again then and that took ages.

is there any other way as i am having the same problem as above

thanks

Saturday, May 12, 2012 12:49 PM
  • thanks man .it works :*
    Friday, December 07, 2012 6:45 AM