none
populate form from selected combobox record

Question

• i'm sure it is easy, but I cannot get text boxes to be populated from a selected record from a combo box.  I can make a combo box and get it to pull up records from the Access table, and can even get it to populate a data grid.  What i want to do is pick Fred's name from the customer table in the combox box (or which ever on is selected) and to get other fields of that record to populate textboxes on the form as: address, city.... i don't want to populate a listbox or datagrid with the selected rec...can you point me  in the right direction to accomplish this task? ....thanks in advance.
    Friday, January 06, 2006 6:13 PM

Answers

• Hello

You can do this with the new built in RAD support in whidbey . Using the Add new Datasource wizard , create a dataset with the table you need to use. Show the datasource window . Say if you are using Customers table from Northwind database .Change CustomerId to a combo box . Set the menu option to details .Drag and drop Customers from datasource window on to winform designer .

To get what you wanted , you just have change bindings on combo box . Click on the combo box and set the Datasource = CustomersBindingSource Display member and Value member to CustomerID . Delete the bindings from Databinding.Text . Press F5 and app is ready to go

For more info on the new features take a look

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/fxsa23t6.aspx

Hope this helps

Sunder

Vb.net

Saturday, January 07, 2006 12:15 AM

All replies

• If you double click on the combobox then a Private Sub will be added to the code space. The default Sub will be called something like "Private Sub ComboBox_SelectedIndexChanged" and it will run whenever a user changes the index of the combobox.

From here I know of two different ways to populate other fields. The first is to do a series of IF statements and the second is to use a Select Case statement. Here are a few examples:

Private Sub ComboBox_SelectedIndexChange(...a lot of stuff ...) - IF Method

If (ComboBox.Text = "Fred") Then

AddressBox.Text = Access Database Location

CityBox.Text = Access database Location

End If

If (ComboBox.Text = "Wilma") Then

End If

End Sub

Private Sub ComboBox_SelectedIndexChange(...a lot of stuff...) - Select Case Method

Select Case (ComboBox.Text)

Case ("Fred")

Case ("Shaggy")

End Select

End Sub

Hope this helps!

Friday, January 06, 2006 11:37 PM
  • Hello

You can do this with the new built in RAD support in whidbey . Using the Add new Datasource wizard , create a dataset with the table you need to use. Show the datasource window . Say if you are using Customers table from Northwind database .Change CustomerId to a combo box . Set the menu option to details .Drag and drop Customers from datasource window on to winform designer .

To get what you wanted , you just have change bindings on combo box . Click on the combo box and set the Datasource = CustomersBindingSource Display member and Value member to CustomerID . Delete the bindings from Databinding.Text . Press F5 and app is ready to go

For more info on the new features take a look

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/fxsa23t6.aspx

Hope this helps

Sunder

Vb.net

Saturday, January 07, 2006 12:15 AM
  • That was EXACTLY what I was looking for.  Thank you. I another is having the same problem, sunder's link is great.  The document thaqt you'd want is Displaying Data on a form in a Windows Application.
    Saturday, January 07, 2006 2:18 PM