none
Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package (KB2538242)

Question

• I am a home user and downloaded this update per Windows Update recommendation.  Now it keeps reloading every time I go to shut down my computer (so far 9 times). Any ideas on how to make this stop? Do I even need it for my Windows 7 x64 based system.
    Friday, June 17, 2011 3:42 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your description, it seems that you have an issue about Windows Updates.

We have try to install Windows Update KB 2538242 and we have no issue about it. So I suggest you to download this Windows Update from this site: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2538242  and install it manually

I’m glad to receive whether or not you have resolved you issue. If anything is unclear, please feel free and let me know.

Best Regards,

Rob

Rob Pan [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Rob Pan Monday, June 27, 2011 8:49 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Rob Pan Tuesday, June 28, 2011 6:27 AM
    • Marked as answer by Rob Pan Friday, July 01, 2011 9:35 AM
    Friday, June 24, 2011 9:40 AM

All replies

• Same here. Been here 2 hours seaching to find WHATS UP?? Can some body help here??
    Friday, June 17, 2011 4:14 PM
  • That sounds like something wrong with Windows Update's detection mechanism. try the Windows Update forum on answers.microsoft.com instead.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Friday, June 17, 2011 4:58 PM
  • Hi,

According to your description, it seems that you have an issue about Windows Updates.

We have try to install Windows Update KB 2538242 and we have no issue about it. So I suggest you to download this Windows Update from this site: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2538242  and install it manually

I’m glad to receive whether or not you have resolved you issue. If anything is unclear, please feel free and let me know.

Best Regards,

Rob

Rob Pan [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Rob Pan Monday, June 27, 2011 8:49 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Rob Pan Tuesday, June 28, 2011 6:27 AM
    • Marked as answer by Rob Pan Friday, July 01, 2011 9:35 AM
    Friday, June 24, 2011 9:40 AM
  • I appreciate the recommendations, BUT, I still have the problem.  I may have to go to a restore point before the first download and try it manually. 
    C.D.B.
    Monday, June 27, 2011 3:36 PM
  • Hi CDBKnoxville,

Could you please tell me whether or not you have resolved your issue by downloading and installing the Windows Update manually? I'm glad to receive your reply and help you to resolve you issue.

Best Regards,

Rob

Rob Pan [MSFT]

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 8:32 AM
  • Hi:

installing it manually is the same way I have installed it the last 20 times. It took me 20 times to realize I was just installing the same update and not new and different ones

Bruce

Saturday, July 02, 2011 9:28 PM
  • Hi Rob,

I too am having the same problems as the above user.  I've clicked on your link to try to manually download the update however it just brings me to the windows update screen and again after clicking install update, the same update pops up.

My update history is as follow:

Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package (KB2538242)

Installation date: ‎11/‎07/‎2011 5:29 PM

Installation status: Successful

However, I've done this over 20 times (everytime I shut down my com) and everytime it says it was successful yet everytime I shutdown it downloads the same update again.  Please post another solution other then the one you've provided above, thank you.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 12:33 AM
  • Tuesday, July 12, 2011 12:49 AM
  • Thanks ildjarn, I downloaded the update via your link and after intalling, it appears the problem has been fixed.
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 1:18 AM
  • Never mind, I spoke too soon.  The update is back and I'm not sure why
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 1:31 AM
  • Does the new recurring update happen to be for KB2538243 rather than KB2538242?

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 2:02 AM
  • KB2538242
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 5:07 AM
  • I to have downloaded this same update;

Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package (KB2538242)  

I have installed this manually from microsoft and automatic update....has anyone figured this out, or what to do... I went on microsoft yesterday and looked at history and apparently i have updated this same one about 16 times.....omg.... what is the problem....

sincerely help....

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 1:58 PM
  • Same problem here! I have Windows xp SP3 on 32-bit (x86 i guess) 800mhz cpu and 512mb ram...

I keep getting KB2538242 again and again! Both from windows update and from the website! And I went to ildjarn's link and it redirects to the same http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26347 that I was at before. I saw suggestions to download and install both vcredist_x64.exe and vcredist_x86.exe and install them manually. I got the response I expected from the x64 knowing i only have a 32-bit system but when I tried the x86.exe file it asked for a disk! I can't even install it manually! It says "The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other removable disk that is not available. Insert the 'Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable' disk and click OK." Below that it has a Use source: dropdown box whose only choice is "Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable [Disk 1]" Beside that is a Browse... button that lets you look for vcredist.msi in a folder somewhere but what if I don't have vcredist.msi anywhere?

Tuesday, October 09, 2012 3:31 AM