none
Getting 'The Windows Installer service failed to start' error when trying to build a deployment project

Question

• Hi,

I've got a a number of solutions that have deployment projects (*.vdproj), and all but one can be built OK using VS2010.
    The problematic one even builds fine in Debug configuration, but when I try to build it in Release, I keep  getting the following error:

Build could not create 'C:\Work\Setup.tmp' 'The Windows Installer service failed to start. Contact your support personnel.' 

I do have the necessary permissions for the C: drive in general, and for the folder in question in particular.

I checked the Services console - the service was not running, and was set to Manual start-up. I had started it, but it didn't change anything.

The problem is reproducible on other machines as well, not just on mine.

Environment configuration: VS2010 (with .NET Framework v.4.0), Windows 7.

Any clues? I'm quite lost here... And Web search doesn't give anything useful (besides the indication that this is a genuine Microsoft Installer issue, rather than a VS / MSBuild one) :-(

Thank you,
    Alex

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 2:35 PM

Answers

•  

Hi  Alex Ts,

Have you tried the suggestions?

And has this problem been solved?

--> The problematic one even builds fine in Debug configuration, but when I try to build it in Release.

I cannot repro this issue in my side, event I disable the Windows Installer service. The setup project also can build successfully both based on the Debug and Release configuration.

1. I think you can configure the vs2010 project  build output verbosity and build log file verbosity to output the detailed information of the project build process. By this configuration, we can get the more detailed build information, may be the fail message also in it, this is helpful to analysis this root cause.

If you don't know how to configure those, please look at the following image: 

2. And you also can use Process monitor (You can download this tool by click this link and install it in your system)to monitor the processes while you build this project, then you can try to find which process try to create the setup.tmp file, and which process interrupts the creating file operation.

And if you cannot solve this problem yourself, can you provide that project, so that may be we can repro it in our side and make us help you easier.

If there's any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Have a nice day!

Mike [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Proposed as answer by Jarrey Tuesday, December 21, 2010 10:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by Helen Zhou Tuesday, December 28, 2010 6:34 AM
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 10:19 AM

All replies

• Hello Alex,

I am moving this thread from “Team Foundation Server-Build Automation” forum to “ClickOnce and Setup & Deployment Projects” forum since the issue is related to setup project. There are more setup project experts in the "ClickOnce and Setup & Deployment Projects" forum and you will get better response.

Thanks for your understanding.

Vicky Song

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 8:44 AM
  •  

Hi  Alex Ts,

Welcome to MSDN Forums!

-->I checked the Services console - the service was not running, and was set to Manual start-up. I had started it, but it didn't change anything.

What do you mean "it didn't change anything"? Do you mean the "Windows Installer" service would be stop after you start it?

Have you test the other setup applications, can they be installed without any problem in that system?

If it is only your setup project cannot work well in this system, then can you show us a screen shot?

And you also can open the system event log and copy the log into your post.

Have a nice day!

Mike [MSFT]

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 12:05 PM
  • I'm wondering if this is an AntiVirus thing.  Also, if it a Windows Installer issue you need to be in a Windows forum for diagnosing configuration issues.

Phil Wilson
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 10:58 PM
  •  

Hi  Alex Ts,

And has this problem been solved?

--> The problematic one even builds fine in Debug configuration, but when I try to build it in Release.

I cannot repro this issue in my side, event I disable the Windows Installer service. The setup project also can build successfully both based on the Debug and Release configuration.

1. I think you can configure the vs2010 project  build output verbosity and build log file verbosity to output the detailed information of the project build process. By this configuration, we can get the more detailed build information, may be the fail message also in it, this is helpful to analysis this root cause.

If you don't know how to configure those, please look at the following image: 

2. And you also can use Process monitor (You can download this tool by click this link and install it in your system)to monitor the processes while you build this project, then you can try to find which process try to create the setup.tmp file, and which process interrupts the creating file operation.

And if you cannot solve this problem yourself, can you provide that project, so that may be we can repro it in our side and make us help you easier.

Have a nice day!

Mike [MSFT]

• Proposed as answer by Jarrey Tuesday, December 21, 2010 10:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by Helen Zhou Tuesday, December 28, 2010 6:34 AM
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 10:19 AM
  •  

Hi  Alex Ts,

Has this issue been solved?

Have a nice day!

Mike [MSFT]

Monday, December 27, 2010 2:46 AM