none
Visual Basic 6.0 Pro Edition and Windows 7 Home Premium

Question

• I can not install Visual Basic 6.0 Pro Edition on my new computer which is on Windows 7 Home Edition. My old computer croaked, and I am trying to install it on my new computer with the disc that I have from installing on my old computer. The new computer is 64-bit Dell machine. The error message that I get is: "Microsoft has problems with this software on this Windows Edition". This is the essence of the message; may not be exact. I read about WOW as a work around, but how can I work around when I can't get it to install?
    Sunday, April 11, 2010 4:30 PM

Answers

• Upgrade to .NET.  Do it NOW! 

Visual Studio 2008 has an "Upgrade Wizard" for VB6.  The VB6 support has not been included in Visual Studio 2010.  Visaul Basic Express 2008 is still available as a free download.  That will not last for long.

Mark the best replies as answers. "Fooling computers since 1971."
    • Proposed as answer by Sharpyy Monday, April 12, 2010 12:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jeff Shan Monday, April 19, 2010 2:04 AM
    Sunday, April 11, 2010 4:39 PM

All replies

• Upgrade to .NET.  Do it NOW! 

Visual Studio 2008 has an "Upgrade Wizard" for VB6.  The VB6 support has not been included in Visual Studio 2010.  Visaul Basic Express 2008 is still available as a free download.  That will not last for long.

Mark the best replies as answers. "Fooling computers since 1971."
    • Proposed as answer by Sharpyy Monday, April 12, 2010 12:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jeff Shan Monday, April 19, 2010 2:04 AM
    Sunday, April 11, 2010 4:39 PM
  • Yea exactly what RudeDog said.

Upgrade to VB.Net asap. A lot of VB6 developers were aware that it wouldn't be supported in Windows 7 and the next visual studio. Also I don't understand VB6 developers why not just move on. ^_^

VB.Net is far better and is fully supported.

Monday, April 12, 2010 12:22 AM
  • vb6 for some may be like an old car, or one of those favorite shirts wth holes in it that your significant other keeps telling you to get rid of.  but to you, it's not trash at all.  i think vb6'ers feel this way also.

littlebill, 

looks like you might be out of luck on windows 7.  but, you might be able to still have a dual operating system machine.  install windows xp or vista on the same machine and work in win 7 when you need to and go back to the other when you need vb6.  i still keep several older computers around.  i really like having my old desktop with xp pro on it.  i miss xp.  i am happy with 7 so far though.  much better than vista.  but i think that's because 7 is more like xp than vista was.  i had read they tried to get some of that xp feel behind the scenes with 7.  they did a pretty good job because i almost went and bought an external floppy drive so i could install xp on my laptop.

good luck with it.
    Peace

FREE
    DEVELOPER TOOLS     CODE     PROJECTS

DATABASE CODE GENERATOR
    DATABASE / GENERAL  APPLICATION TUTORIAL
    Upload Projects to share or get help on and post the generated links here in the forum
    www.srsoft.us
    Monday, April 12, 2010 1:44 AM
  • I am one of those VB6 die hards.  I have one program that has grown to 27,000 lines of code.  When VB.net came out, I ran their upgrade advisor and found that I would have to change about 8,000 lines of code.  If I did that, it would run just as it had before.  So, I could spend money for an upgrade and get the same capability I had before and need to spend weeks rewriting code and testing it.  Not to mention needing to learn how to do what I already could do in VB6.  No thanks.  By the way, the following link shows the way to get it VB6 to work in W7.

<cite>http://www.fortypoundhead.com/showcontent.asp?artid=20502</cite>

Sunday, May 08, 2011 4:43 PM
  • The VB6 developement environment is not supported on Windows 7.   The VB6 runtime however is.   WHat this means is that you can run old VB6 apps on windows 7 but you can't install the development environment.

This doesn't matter whether x86 or 64 bit.  

As others have said - install VB.NET - its free to download the VB Express versions and then this is the correct place to ask questions.   It wont take long to get going on .NET and you'll be using current technology.

Sunday, May 08, 2011 5:00 PM
  • I am one of those VB6 die hards.  I have one program that has grown to 27,000 lines of code.  When VB.net came out, I ran their upgrade advisor and found that I would have to change about 8,000 lines of code.  If I did that, it would run just as it had before.  So, I could spend money for an upgrade and get the same capability I had before and need to spend weeks rewriting code and testing it.  Not to mention needing to learn how to do what I already could do in VB6.  No thanks.  By the way, the following link shows the way to get it VB6 to work in W7.

<cite>http://www.fortypoundhead.com/showcontent.asp?artid=20502</cite>

Hi,

LoranGuy has beat me to showing you this article.

Please click the link provided here:>>

http://www.fortypoundhead.com/showcontent.asp?artid=20502

on How to Install VB6 on Windows 7

Regards,

John

Click this link to see how to insert a picture into a forum post.

Installing VB6 on Windows 7
    Sunday, May 08, 2011 9:16 PM