none
how to apply sort on collectionviewsource?

Question

• hi there,

i 'm unble to find an example to apply sorting on collectionviewsource.

can anyone gimme a sample application and if there are any video tutorials

plz gimme the link also...

thanx advance,

Sris

Saturday, May 06, 2006 5:34 PM

Answers

• Hi Sris,

The sample uses the SortDescriptions property not a Sort method (there's not Sort method on ListCollectionView). Have you tried something like the following as in the sample?

ListCollectionview1.SortDescriptions.Add(new SortDescription("id", ListSortDirection.Ascending));

If you're still having trouble you may want to share part of your code, we may be able to better assist you that way.

HTH, Tina

Friday, May 12, 2006 8:08 PM

All replies

• hi ,

thanx for the reply and the link

I 'm having a problem with while i set the datacontext to the collectionview source .

the problem is with the typecast. while declaring the collectionviewsource in the "StartHere" method it takes a collection object as an argument. But  i'm using a class with has a getter method for the mycollection.

so it's is giving an exception over there that it cannot convert that class object to IEnumerable type.

how could i solve this.........

regards,

Sris

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 4:57 AM
  • Hi Sris,

I may be misunderstanding your question but the GetDefaultView method takes an object that is a reference to the original data source object. In fact, the casting in the sample is unnecessary. We will update the sample to get rid of the IEnumerable casting:

MyCollectionView = (ListCollectionView)CollectionViewSource.GetDefaultView(rootElem.DataContext);

Since your original question was about CollectionViewSource, you may also want to take a look at the following sample, which shows how to sort data in markup using CollectionViewSource. http://windowssdk.msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/wpf_samples/html/dff152c8-d055-4d9b-86b0-e9e6e10ac181.asp?frame=true

Thanks,
    Tina
    Wednesday, May 10, 2006 12:57 AM
  • hi tina,

thanx for ur kind suggestion and sample

i've tried to apply the way that was there in  the sample, but i couldnt get the Sort method on the ListCollectionView  (ListCollectionview1.Sort)

where is the problem??

ThanX,

Sris

Friday, May 12, 2006 4:32 AM
  • Hi Sris,

The sample uses the SortDescriptions property not a Sort method (there's not Sort method on ListCollectionView). Have you tried something like the following as in the sample?

ListCollectionview1.SortDescriptions.Add(new SortDescription("id", ListSortDirection.Ascending));

If you're still having trouble you may want to share part of your code, we may be able to better assist you that way.

HTH, Tina

Friday, May 12, 2006 8:08 PM