none
404 Error on SharePoint Central Administration

Question

• Recently renamed our SharePoint server, following procedures listed in Technet article. SharePoint and TFS work fine. However, when trying to browse the Central Administration site, we get a 404 error message saying webpage cannot be found. Here are a few diagnostic steps:

- Ran Configuration Wizard, removed Central Admin site from server, re-ran wizard, and re-added Admin site to server. Didn't help.

- Checked access mappings. Everything looks kosher.

- Checked event log. Found several instances of this error message:

The Execute method of job definition Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.ConfigurationCheckerJob (ID a5af27c3-1ab0-49fb-b38a-3b7ad9d10b69) threw an exception. More information is included below.

The site http://server-name:port (edited) could not be found in the Web application SPAdministrationWebApplication Parent=SPWebService Name=WSS_Administration.

- Ran stsadm -o enumsites -url http://server-name:port. Returned 0 sites.

- Checked the SharePoint_AdminContent_<guid> database. Ran query "select * from sites". Returned one row, but the FullUrl column is empty. Don't know if this means anything.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, April 13, 2011 6:03 AM "SharePoint and TFS " so TFS user (From:SharePoint - Setup, Upgrade, Administration and Operation (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 8:17 PM

All replies

• Hi G Admin,

This issue occurs if a site collection does not exist at the root of the Web Application. To resolve this issue, create a site collection at the root of the Web application.

For more information about this problem, you can refer to this KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936914.

Thanks & Regards,

Peng Lei

• Proposed as answer by Ed_Charles Saturday, November 30, 2013 2:54 PM
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 2:02 AM
  • Thanks for the response.

I'm a little confused. So I need to manually create a site collection for the Central Administration site? I thought the SharePoint Configuration Wizard would take care of that.

Friday, July 08, 2011 5:20 PM
  • The issue for SP2010 CA is that when the site is created or recreated, the physical path for the site is entered incorrectly in IIS 7. I discovered that this is the default behavior in SP2010 so this is a bug that MS should fix ASAP. See images below. Note double backslashes in default path.

Default Physical Path in IIS

Corrected Physical Path in IIS

Scott

Thursday, August 18, 2011 9:04 PM
  • Thanks, I didn't catch that.  You made my job easier.
    Wednesday, May 09, 2012 8:18 PM
  • When you install Sharepoint 2010 server, it automatically installs a Web Application called Sharepoint - 80, then when you create a new web application and uses port 80 also, it gives conflict, remove the web application which is already installed it will work perfectly .
    Saturday, June 16, 2012 6:43 PM