none
What is in CRT version 9.0.30729.4926 and where to find debug version

Question

• I build with #define _BIND_TO_CURRENT_VCLIBS_VERSION 1 to always use the latest version of CRT so I discovered this version when my app wouldn't run on another machine that had 9.0.30729.4148.

I searched in VC++, Visual Studio and SDK blogs and then all of MSDN and can't find any information about this new CRT version. What bugfixes and enhancements does it contain, for example?

I prefer to build with the latest libraries but then I also need the corresponding debug versions and these are usually even harder to find, probably because they are not redistributable.

Needless to say, this is not the first time this happened. It would be great if Microsoft and/or some of its bloggers would make easier this process of figuring out when you may be surprised by the new CRT release, and where to find info and debug build.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 8:02 PM

Answers

All replies

• 9.0.30729.4148 is the security update version of Visual Studio 2008 SP1 released in July 2009. 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971092

download it here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=294DE390-3C94-49FB-A014-9A38580E64CB&displaylang=en

if you install this, then you will get the corresponding debug versions.  In fact, because you already have an error on another machine you have already installed the above (through Windows Update).  You can find the debug versions here:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\redist\Debug_NonRedist\x86

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 11:38 PM
  • I am inquiring about the version with the last digit 4926, not 4148.

The error message indicated 'side by side configuration' problem and that prompted me to look into Windows\winsxs folder, discovering this CRT version.

C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.4926_none_508ed732bcbc0e5a

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 7:51 PM
  • Hello Tonko,

For VS 2008, 9.0.30729.4148 should be the latest version of Visual Studio 2008 with Service Pack 1 and the ATL security fix KB 973552. Please check the manifest of the application and verify what version of CRT libraries it is bound to.

Also try to install the vcredist/mergemodules(SDK directory) that are installed to dev machine to the client to see if it works.

Regards,
    Rong-Chun Zhang
    MSDN Subscriber Supportin Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Friday, April 30, 2010 11:34 AM
  • Did the side by side error indicate that it was using the 4926 version? Did your application request the 4926 version? If you check your application manifest or actually read the error in the log then you will get your answer. Just because a version exists in WinSxS it doesn't mean it will be used, only the policy redirect will be able to make it use a newer version over an older version.
    Visit my (not very good) blog at http://c2kblog.blogspot.com/
    • Proposed as answer by Ted_ Saturday, May 01, 2010 12:01 PM
    Friday, April 30, 2010 12:41 PM
  • At this point I know that my manifest lists 4148 and that it will be used over 4926 if it is installed.

I am not researching side-by-side error anymore - that turned out to be an error in my customer's report.

At this point I am trying to find out what is in version 4926 and what fixes and/or enhancements it has. Consider it a pure curiosity - there is a new DLL on my system - I would like to know what is it. Also, if I can also find Debug builds, I would like to start linking and testing my app with this, presumably latest, CRT version.

Monday, May 03, 2010 10:07 PM
  • This version seems to be an internal build so there is no debug version available. I know I got this version when I installed VS2010.
    Visit my (not very good) blog at http://c2kblog.blogspot.com/
    Monday, May 03, 2010 10:48 PM
  • Hello,

Yes, 9.0.30729.4926 is the version redistributed with Win7/Windows2008R2 RTM.

Regards,
    Rong-Chun Zhang
    MSDN Subscriber Supportin Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Monday, May 10, 2010 10:12 AM