none
Visual Studio 2005 SDK

Question

•  Hello

Does anybody know why after installing VS SDK, while build, VS will open all of projects in the solution and add below tag to them

<Service Include="{B4F97281-0DBD-4835-9ED8-7DFB966E87FF}" />

or

<ItemGroup>
        <Service Include="{B4F97281-0DBD-4835-9ED8-7DFB966E87FF}" />
      </ItemGroup>

And how can I turn it off.

Regards

Mohsen

Thursday, November 23, 2006 8:51 PM

Answers

• I just managed to fix this with your advice. I did a search in my registry for the GUID that appears in the .csproj files, but that alone was not enough.

That GUID however pointed to another GUID (a9696de6-e209-414d-bbec-a0506fb0e924), and removing a couple of entries in the registry was enough to get the job done.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0\Packages\{a9696de6-e209-414d-bbec-a0506fb0e924}

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0Exp\Packages\{a9696de6-e209-414d-bbec-a0506fb0e924}

Removing/renaming these two alone seems to be sufficient to fix the problem. I just prefixed them with underscores and it's building just fine.

Friday, March 23, 2007 7:11 PM
  • Mohsen,

This is in fact a bug in the SDK. We have fixed this bug and the bug fix should be part of the December 2006 CTP.

thanks,
    James Lau
    Program Manager, VS Ecosystem

Saturday, November 25, 2006 2:14 AM
  •  

We believe we've finally fixed this one for Orcas RTM

We no longer mark solution files at all, and we now only mark individual project files when you actually run the T4 custom tool in that project.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 12:19 PM

All replies

• Hallo,

This entry specifies services that VS loads when your project is built and they are supposed to be needed so that your project builds properly. This particular GUID refers to the text templating engine (T4), part of the domain-specific language tools (DSL) installation, that comes with the Visual Studio SDK. Now, I'm not that familiar with DSL but, as far as I know, if this is a web application, this is related with the vwd.webinfo file (formerly vwdsettings.xml). According to the ASP.NET team: "...In the Beta 2 release, if you set project global settings (or if you applied a security policy, which uses project global settings), ASP.NET created a Vwdsettings.xml file in the Web site to store the settings In the RTM release, the name of this file has been changed to Vwd.webinfo...". If this is the case, you have to manually remove the file (both from source control AND the local web folder) and also walk through all project files and remove all references to it there.

I'm sorry I could not provide more info. As I said, this entry is definately related with DSL (BTW, unistalling VS SDK won't solve the issue), so perhaps it's better you go ask more about it in the Visual Studio Team System - Domain-Specific Language Tools forum.

• Proposed as answer by new292 Tuesday, January 27, 2009 11:44 AM
    Friday, November 24, 2006 2:39 PM
  • Hi Amadeus

Thanks for your good reference. From there I found a good article in http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnvs05/html/vstsmodel.asp but it didn't say anything about this tag.

In my solution I have many windows and web applications both. This tag is adding to both of them and I can not manually remove them, becuase after each build it will be added again. The only workaround was do not check projects in. You are right uninstalling will not remove them but at least after uninstalling they will not be added anymore. I had to install VS SDK on a virtual machine, but it is not a good solution.

Regards

Mohsen

Friday, November 24, 2006 11:43 PM
  • Mohsen,

This is in fact a bug in the SDK. We have fixed this bug and the bug fix should be part of the December 2006 CTP.

thanks,
    James Lau
    Program Manager, VS Ecosystem

Saturday, November 25, 2006 2:14 AM
  • oh the pain! i have the same prob. Thanks 4 the answers
    Friday, December 08, 2006 6:56 AM
  • I have suffered with this issue for a long time.   I downloaded the December CTP and installed it. I also went through every file and removed the block that gets inserted.  When I reopened my solution, it again forces a checkout of the .csproj files and reinserts the block.  Was the bug supposed to be fixed in the December CTP?

This is really a pain. If anyone has any advice that will help me avoid this bug I would REALLY appreciate it.

--Matt

Monday, December 18, 2006 5:01 PM
  • Hi Matt,

I just encountered this issue for the first time after using VS2005 since it was offiically released. The only thing I think I did differently, was that I did not set my main executable project as the "Startup project". I had opened my project fresh from SCC, which by default uses the "selected" project as the startup project. Normally, I set my main executable project as the startup project before building.

Hope this helps.
    Tom
    Saturday, December 23, 2006 5:45 AM
  • Sorry, I may have opened Tools->Options and seleected the Text Templating node (thus loading the offending DSL thingy).
    Saturday, December 23, 2006 5:51 AM
  • partymonkey, That is exacly what I did and then soon afterwards began encountering this problem.  how do I unload this DSL thingy?
    Thursday, January 25, 2007 4:35 PM
  • Ah yes, I also did exactly this before finding a vwd.webinfo file, and <Service Include=""> tags in all my projects.
    The message is clear: beware the Text Templating options node!
    I uninstalled the SDK, and manually removed the vwd.webinfo and Service tags from my projects.
    They don't get added anymore.
    The options node is gone, too.
    Wednesday, January 31, 2007 6:06 AM
  • I just managed to fix this with your advice. I did a search in my registry for the GUID that appears in the .csproj files, but that alone was not enough.

That GUID however pointed to another GUID (a9696de6-e209-414d-bbec-a0506fb0e924), and removing a couple of entries in the registry was enough to get the job done.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0\Packages\{a9696de6-e209-414d-bbec-a0506fb0e924}

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0Exp\Packages\{a9696de6-e209-414d-bbec-a0506fb0e924}

Removing/renaming these two alone seems to be sufficient to fix the problem. I just prefixed them with underscores and it's building just fine.

Friday, March 23, 2007 7:11 PM
  • Hi James,

Actually, this bug (about adding line <Service Include="{B4F97281-0DBD-4835-9ED8-7DFB966E87FF}" />) is still with us in VS SDK RTM 4.0.

Should I submit it on Microsoft Connect?

Thanks!

Tuesday, April 03, 2007 8:12 AM
  • Hi Dmitry,

I've opened a bug on this in our bug database. No need to open on Connect if you haven't already.

Thanks,

Aaron

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 9:11 PM
  • Hi Aaron,

Sure. No Problem. Thanks.

P.S. If it is possible could you please kick the team to resolve the one really weird bug  MPF RTM4.0? That bug is # 274788 

Thursday, May 31, 2007 4:47 PM
  •  

We no longer mark solution files at all, and we now only mark individual project files when you actually run the T4 custom tool in that project.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 12:19 PM
  • Hey Gareth,

Good news! Thanks! Have a good feather bug-fix sprint!

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 1:38 PM
  •  GarethJ - MSFT wrote:

Well, that's good news for 2008, but what about 2005?  Will there be a service pack or hotfix for 2005 that will stop it from modifying all the project files?
    Friday, August 31, 2007 4:25 PM
  •  

AFAIK, we have to backport bug-fixes ourself to the SDK for Whidbey (VS2005).
    Saturday, September 01, 2007 8:31 PM
  • I just renamed the 8.0\Packages\{a9696de6-e209-616d-bbec-a0506fb0e924} key as described (I didn't have a "8.0Exp" key), and it seems to work fine.  (Didn't even search for the "B4F97281..." value.)

I had installed the DSL tools as a prerequisite for the TFS tools, and after renaming the key, I can still use the TFS tools (no errors found so far).  Best of both worlds.  Smile 

Tuesday, September 04, 2007 5:59 PM
  • Not really helpful to fix this in Orcas if this is a VS 2005 SDK bug? Is there a possibility of fixing it for VS 2005? It's really annoying given that you have to manually get rid of the service tag after before checking in any project file.
    Tuesday, October 09, 2007 8:32 AM
  • @Alex

Good work on the a9696... GUID. :-)

I renamed these and it's all sweet.  Of course, I only installed the SDK to get the TFS .dll's so if the DSL tools are borked it won't bother me.

For those running 64-bit OS'es the keys are:

Code Block

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0\Packages\{a9696de6-e209-414d-bbec-a0506fb0e924}

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0Exp\Packages\{a9696de6-e209-414d-bbec-a0506fb0e924}

- Richard.

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 9:18 PM
  • In all decency you should retrofit this to 2005 too in the form of a hotfix/patch/SP. I am sure we are not the only company who, because of our success up to now with software built using Visual Studio, will have to live with existing versions of VS even though we start using never versions (e.g. 2008).

Martin Moe

Monday, April 21, 2008 2:36 PM
  • Hello,

Has the solution to this bug been applied to VS 2005?

This issue is affecting all the software developers in our company.

We currently have VS 2005 with SP1 installed.

Best regards,
    Luís Filipe

Wednesday, June 03, 2009 9:36 AM
  • If I remove the registry keys you have mentioned it works fine when compiling the solution.  How ever I am unable to run my code generation templates where are of extensions .tt.  It throws an error saying "The specific cast is not valid".

Please let me know how to get rid of the problem and still the code generation .tt files works.

Thanks in advance
    Ganapatsa
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 6:56 AM
  • I fixed this by deleting the project's .suo file, no registry meddling!

A T4 template had been introduced to my project under a branch, but the superfluous "service include" blocks were not appearing in the working copy of that branch. Instead, they appeared in the working copy of the trunk, after the branch had been merged back. Furthermore, a freshly checked out working copy of the trunk did not suffer the problem. This leads me to believe that the problem is not system wide (ie unlikely to be caused by a registry problem), but instead worskpace-specific.

Maybe playing around with tools|settings triggers it, i'm not certain, but at least it's relatively easy to work around.

Hopefully i'm not celebrating too soon :)

• Proposed as answer by Mark Foreman Wednesday, August 04, 2010 12:56 AM
    Wednesday, August 04, 2010 12:56 AM