none
Value of WPF , its Future & Scope

Question

• I am .Net Developer with over 5 years of experiance and that to in Windows Forms application purely, now i have been offered two different project one is in WPF & the other is in HTML5 & MVC.

Since the popularity and bend towards HTML5 i am confused where to go and which technology should i learn. I want to know are the companies are using WPF curently or will use in future or it is an outdated technology.

Which type of Domain, Companies, Products/Projects  are using WPF and does learning WPF know is worth of an effort or WPF technology will die in future.

Please tell me the Market , future & scope of this technology. And what other technology are there for a Windows form developer like me which support my experiance and enchance my career. 

Saurabh Saxena - Senior Developer

• Edited by _Saurabh Thursday, July 25, 2013 9:17 AM For better visibility
    Thursday, July 25, 2013 9:16 AM

Answers

• I began my development in .NET with Windows Forms a number of years ago and was fairly happy there.  The primary issue that I had with Windows Forms was testability with automated frameworks.

Over the last few years it was apparent that Microsoft has been trying to push people off of Windows Forms by curtailing further development of the platform and pushing development towards XAML and WPF by making it their primary platform for things like Silverlight and mobile platforms.

WPF lends itself toward MVVM which increase testability, flexibility and maintainability.  I believe that WPF will dominate the Desktop application market for sometime to come, but HTML/JavaScript seem to be Microsoft's latest fair hair child, but of course HTML/JavaScript cannot currently be used for Desktop applications.

Modern applications can be written in either of these platforms, HTML/JavaScript seems to be Microsoft's preferred, but definitely is not mine.  The incorporation of operating system type interactions into this platform just seems like too much of a hack at the moment.

I personally chose to go down the WPF trail several years ago, starting with .NET 4.0 and haven't regretted the decision, but my primary focus has been desktop applications.  I like the flexibility that it has provided me across the majority of platforms and MVVM, while unnatural at first, is a good thing.  MVC is related to MVVM and much of HTML/JavaScript can be moved toward these ideals, but I still prefer XAML / WPF.

If I were focused more on Web development I would probably lean more towards HTML/JavaScript and the favor / portability that it currently holds.

I am obviously biased towards WPF, but in the end it will depend upon what types of applications that you intend to develop in the near term.  Knowing both would obviously be preferred to give you maximum flexibility, but which you begin with should be influenced by opportunities and your aptitude toward the technology.

Opinions are like......

It would be greatly appreciated if you would mark any helpful entries as helpful and if the entry answers your question, please mark it with the Answer link.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 1:19 PM
  • Hi,

From your description, I think you want to know something about WPF market, value, future, scope and so on. I will introduce to you as follows.

WPF Market and Value:

Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) is a next-generation presentation system for building Windows client applications with visually stunning user experiences. With WPF, you can create a wide range of both standalone and browser-hosted applications.

WPF Future and Scope:

WPF UI was designed by XAML. Windows Phone Application UI, Silverlight UI, Windows App UI were designed by XAML. If you have learnt WPF, you can develop these application very easy.

Differences between WPF and Window Form Application:

WPF is the current platform for developing windows desktop applications. It is a modern, advanced, hardware accelerated framework for developing applications that maintain separation of concerns. It supports advanced rendering of 2D vector and 3D graphics, providing an immense range of capabilities for building rich, interactive, and quality user interfaces.

Window Form Application, on the other hand, provides a basic platform for developing "classic" windows apps with your standard look and feel using standard controls. It does not offer the rich, hardware accelerated, vector 2D and 3D capabilities that WPF offers. Window Form Application tend to have much greater coupling between application behavior and UI (view), which presents a less flexible platform upon which to develop applications.

As for which one you choose, it entirely depends on your needs. If you need vector graphics, 3D rendering, the ability to create rich, interactive, animated, modern user interfaces, and/or wish to maintain separation of concerns, WPF is definitely the right choice. If you need none of that, and just need to create a simple UI that solves a simple problem, Window Form Application will meet your needs just fine.

Here some references about this topic and some learning resources.

#Introduction to WPF

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa970268.aspx

#WPF VS Window Form Application

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1337345/what-is-the-difference-between-wpf-and-winforms

#WPF Future

http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/Blogs/10585/what-is-future-of-wpf.aspx

#The Present and Future of WPF

http://10rem.net/blog/2010/10/28/the-present-and-future-of-wpf

Any unsure, Please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards

Jimmy

Jimmy Yang
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, July 26, 2013 7:30 AM

All replies

• I am .Net Developer with over 5 years of experiance and that to in Windows Forms application purely, now i have been offered two different project one is in WPF & the other is in HTML5 & MVC.

Since the popularity and bend towards HTML5 i am confused where to go and which technology should i learn. I want to know are the companies are using WPF curently or will use in future or it is an outdated technology.

Which type of Domain, Companies, Products are using WPF and does learning WPF know is worth of an effort or this technology will die in future.

Please tell me the Market , future & scope of this technology. And what other technology are there for a Windows form developer like me which support my experiance and enchance my career.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 12:39 PM
  • I began my development in .NET with Windows Forms a number of years ago and was fairly happy there.  The primary issue that I had with Windows Forms was testability with automated frameworks.

Over the last few years it was apparent that Microsoft has been trying to push people off of Windows Forms by curtailing further development of the platform and pushing development towards XAML and WPF by making it their primary platform for things like Silverlight and mobile platforms.

WPF lends itself toward MVVM which increase testability, flexibility and maintainability.  I believe that WPF will dominate the Desktop application market for sometime to come, but HTML/JavaScript seem to be Microsoft's latest fair hair child, but of course HTML/JavaScript cannot currently be used for Desktop applications.

Modern applications can be written in either of these platforms, HTML/JavaScript seems to be Microsoft's preferred, but definitely is not mine.  The incorporation of operating system type interactions into this platform just seems like too much of a hack at the moment.

I personally chose to go down the WPF trail several years ago, starting with .NET 4.0 and haven't regretted the decision, but my primary focus has been desktop applications.  I like the flexibility that it has provided me across the majority of platforms and MVVM, while unnatural at first, is a good thing.  MVC is related to MVVM and much of HTML/JavaScript can be moved toward these ideals, but I still prefer XAML / WPF.

If I were focused more on Web development I would probably lean more towards HTML/JavaScript and the favor / portability that it currently holds.

I am obviously biased towards WPF, but in the end it will depend upon what types of applications that you intend to develop in the near term.  Knowing both would obviously be preferred to give you maximum flexibility, but which you begin with should be influenced by opportunities and your aptitude toward the technology.

Opinions are like......

It would be greatly appreciated if you would mark any helpful entries as helpful and if the entry answers your question, please mark it with the Answer link.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 1:19 PM
  • Hi,

From your description, I think you want to know something about WPF market, value, future, scope and so on. I will introduce to you as follows.

WPF Market and Value:

Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) is a next-generation presentation system for building Windows client applications with visually stunning user experiences. With WPF, you can create a wide range of both standalone and browser-hosted applications.

WPF Future and Scope:

WPF UI was designed by XAML. Windows Phone Application UI, Silverlight UI, Windows App UI were designed by XAML. If you have learnt WPF, you can develop these application very easy.

Differences between WPF and Window Form Application:

WPF is the current platform for developing windows desktop applications. It is a modern, advanced, hardware accelerated framework for developing applications that maintain separation of concerns. It supports advanced rendering of 2D vector and 3D graphics, providing an immense range of capabilities for building rich, interactive, and quality user interfaces.

Window Form Application, on the other hand, provides a basic platform for developing "classic" windows apps with your standard look and feel using standard controls. It does not offer the rich, hardware accelerated, vector 2D and 3D capabilities that WPF offers. Window Form Application tend to have much greater coupling between application behavior and UI (view), which presents a less flexible platform upon which to develop applications.

As for which one you choose, it entirely depends on your needs. If you need vector graphics, 3D rendering, the ability to create rich, interactive, animated, modern user interfaces, and/or wish to maintain separation of concerns, WPF is definitely the right choice. If you need none of that, and just need to create a simple UI that solves a simple problem, Window Form Application will meet your needs just fine.

Here some references about this topic and some learning resources.

#Introduction to WPF

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa970268.aspx

#WPF VS Window Form Application

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1337345/what-is-the-difference-between-wpf-and-winforms

#WPF Future

http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/Blogs/10585/what-is-future-of-wpf.aspx

#The Present and Future of WPF

http://10rem.net/blog/2010/10/28/the-present-and-future-of-wpf

Any unsure, Please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards

Jimmy

Jimmy Yang
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, July 26, 2013 7:30 AM