Unable to register Custom Tool - 2012 RC

Question

• Dear all,

I'm trying to register a Custom Tool for use with VS 2012 RC. It's causing me an absolute headache and I keep getting a "Cannot find custom tool '...' on this system" error message. 

I'm following exactly the same steps as I was doing with VS 2010, registering it with the registry keys:

SOFTWARE\\Wow6432Node\\Microsoft\\VisualStudio\\11.0\\CLSID\\{MYGUID}

SOFTWARE\\Wow6432Node\\Microsoft\\VisualStudio\\11.0\\Generators\\{FAE04EC1-301F-11D3-BF4B-00C04F79EFBC}\\MYNAME

Has anyone successfully created generators for VS 2012 RC yet?

Steve

Saturday, June 02, 2012 4:41 PM

Answers

• Headache resolved. 

I'm not sure you had to do this with VS 2010, but once you have built and registered your tool in the GAC and the registry, you must setup the visual studio instance, by running 'devenv' with the /setup argument:

devenv.exe /setup

Phew!

• Marked as answer by woodced Saturday, June 02, 2012 5:32 PM
    Saturday, June 02, 2012 5:30 PM

All replies

• Headache resolved. 

I'm not sure you had to do this with VS 2010, but once you have built and registered your tool in the GAC and the registry, you must setup the visual studio instance, by running 'devenv' with the /setup argument:

devenv.exe /setup

Phew!

• Marked as answer by woodced Saturday, June 02, 2012 5:32 PM
    Saturday, June 02, 2012 5:30 PM
  • Hi woodced,

I’m glad to hear that you got it working.

Thank you for sharing your solutions & experience here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

Best regards,

Ego

Monday, June 04, 2012 9:39 AM
  • woodced, thank you for sharing houw you resolved the issue, it works for me, but

• I'm 100% sure it was not necessary to run /setup in VS10. I have bunch of custom tools and I never ran /setup to make them working.
    • It seems that /setup must be run as administrator.
    • When I run /setups IDE does not appear. I just see a devenv.exe process sitting in task manager for a long time and then it vanishes. However the custom tool seems to be working before devenv.exe /setup finishes.

Đ.

Saturday, June 16, 2012 8:07 PM