none
Uninstalling VS 2010

Question

• I have VS studio 2008 installed on my machine. Few months ago i had installed trial.  version of VS 2010 premium edition which expired. I then uninstalled VS 2010 Premium edition. Now i have install VS 2010 test professional trial version . It has installed successfully. When i try to use the Test Manager, I get a message that "Your Visual Studio Test Professional 2010 evaluation period has expired. You can get a key to extend your trial by registering this copy of Visual Studio Test Professional 2010 online. You may also purchase a key to activate the product."

I uninstalled VS 2010 USING http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/vs2010uninstall/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=4321 Unistall utility and then reinstalled   VS 2010 test professional trial version . Even then i get message "Your Visual Studio Test Professional 2010 evaluation period has expired."

Help...What do i do to be able to use the Test Professional trial version?

Thanks,

Raji

Monday, August 22, 2011 6:03 PM

Answers

• Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Thursday, September 01, 2011 3:01 AM
    Monday, August 22, 2011 7:53 PM
  • Hi Raaji,

Have you tried MVP’s suggestions? Any updates?

It seems that trials leave the previous license keys in the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Licenses branch. We should find which keys Visual Studio detects.

1.      Download the Process Monitor from: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx.

We will use this tool to monitor all the related action Visual Studio do.

2.      Set a filter in the monitor to show only activity for the devenv.exe process name.

3.      Launch Visual Studio and let it run until the expiration dialog occurs.

4.      Switch to the process monitor and search all the message about HKCR\Licenses branch from the bottom.

5.      Open the registry editor. To do so: Start>>Run>>Regedit.exe.

NOTE: Please export whole registry information before any modification.

6.      Navigate to the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Licenses branch and find the key identified in the process monitor.

7.      Rename the entire key node (not the sub keys) or delete the key. For example: inserting xxx before the key works as defined above.

8.      Close the Registry Editor and Process Monitor.

9.      Exit Visual Studio.

10.  Start Visual Studio

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, August 29, 2011 8:03 AM

All replies

Monday, August 22, 2011 7:53 PM
  • Hi Raaji,

Have you tried MVP’s suggestions? Any updates?

It seems that trials leave the previous license keys in the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Licenses branch. We should find which keys Visual Studio detects.

1.      Download the Process Monitor from: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx.

We will use this tool to monitor all the related action Visual Studio do.

2.      Set a filter in the monitor to show only activity for the devenv.exe process name.

3.      Launch Visual Studio and let it run until the expiration dialog occurs.

4.      Switch to the process monitor and search all the message about HKCR\Licenses branch from the bottom.

5.      Open the registry editor. To do so: Start>>Run>>Regedit.exe.

NOTE: Please export whole registry information before any modification.

6.      Navigate to the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Licenses branch and find the key identified in the process monitor.

7.      Rename the entire key node (not the sub keys) or delete the key. For example: inserting xxx before the key works as defined above.

8.      Close the Registry Editor and Process Monitor.

9.      Exit Visual Studio.

10.  Start Visual Studio

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, August 29, 2011 8:03 AM