none
Visual Studio drag and drop

Question

• Win 7
    VS 2010 Premium.

I was able to drag and drop a class from windows explorer into the solution explorer by dragging and dropping the file. It seems this feature is no longer available. Could anyone advise if this has been removed or amm i doing something wrong?

Thanks

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 4:26 PM

All replies

• I have no problem here dragging and dropping C++ header and source files (a class definition) from WE into the VS 2010 Solution Explorer window. They are recognized within VS as being part of the project.

However, the files are *not* moved from their original locations into the project folder. IIRC, this was also true in earlier VS versions as well.

How does the behavior you experience differ from the above? Do you see error messages?

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 7:13 PM
  • No error messages. When i pick up a file slide across to VS hover over solution explorer i have the black 'no entry' sign. The only additional add-ons/extensions i have installed is Microsoft's power commands....
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 10:41 AM
  • Hi Pure Deal,

Would you please let me know the file type and project type you are using?

As far as I know, in Visual Studio 2010, you can drag files from Windows Explorer into Solution Explorer. You can refer to the articles below for more information:

If you have any concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Andrew.WuModerator Thursday, May 19, 2011 11:28 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Pure Deal Thursday, March 15, 2012 6:31 PM
    Monday, May 16, 2011 9:33 AM
  • I do have the same issue (i.e. not able to drop files from Windows Explorer to Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate). I have soultion open on Visual Studio and trying to drop a class file (MyClass.cls) there,  not able to drop and the mouse cursor changed to 'No Entry'. 

I was able to do successfully in VS 2008, but not in VS 2010.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 8:55 PM
  • I tried all the steps above and can confirm i still cant drag and drop a file into solution explorer. I have now reformatted my computer and was able to replicate this issue on another PC.

For clarification here are my steps.

1. Create an ASP .Net Web Application.
    2. Open Explorer and navigate to a style sheet (CSS).
    3. Select and drag this file over VS .Net 2010 Solution Explorer and again the mouse cursor turns into the "Unable to move the item to that location" sign.

Thanks

Thursday, March 15, 2012 6:40 PM
  • Hi Pure Deal, could you try dragging the file from Windows Explorer and hovering your mouse over the project name in the Solution Explorer window?

The mouse cursor will turn into a "Unavailable" sign when I drag the file into the whitespace of the Solution Explorer, but when dragging the file over the project name or a folder inside the project or a file will show the mouse cursor with a + icon at the bottom right. Are you able to get this?

Friday, March 16, 2012 1:20 AM
  • When i did that it the cursor turns "unavailable", no matter which folder i hover over, the cursor remains unavailable.
    Tuesday, March 20, 2012 6:15 PM
  • Hi Pure Deal, that is odd. Please try the following command line switches for VS 2010 and see if they help.

1. Click "Start"
    2. Click "All Programs"
    3. Click "Microsoft Visual Studio 2010"
    4. Click "Visual Studio Tools"
    5. Click "Visual Studio Command Prompt (2010)"
    6. Type "devenv /safemode" and try again
    7. If #6 doesn't work, please try "devenv /setup" and try again
    8. If #7 doesn't work, please try using a different user account and launch VS 2010 and check if the drag and drop issue is still there
    9. If #8 doesn't work, please repair VS 2010 via Control Panel and try again

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 1:02 AM