none
Visual Studio 2008 "The breakpoint will not be currently hit. No symbols have been loaded for this document"

Question

• Hi -

I am running Visual Studio Team System 2008.  My solution is a Silverlight 3 application.

As of yesterday I am suddenly unable to debug my code.  Either my breakpoints appear fine - or in some of the files they do the usual hollow circle with the bang symbol.  When I hover over these breakpoints I get the following message:

"The breakpoint will not currently be hit.  No symbols have been loaded for this document"

I have compared the version of the file with VSS and they are identical.
    I have cleared the cache in IE
    I have gone into C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\VisualStudio\9.0\ProjectAssemblies and deleted all the VS temporary files
    I have gone into C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\WebsiteCache and deleted all the temporary files
    After this I cleaned and rebuilt again - both successful.

Despite all of the above, I am still unable to hit breakpoints.

Ironically, I am able to hit the breakpoints in my WCF services that are called on another server.

Any wisdom on this would be greatly appreciated.  This is driving me crazy!

Many thanks,

- Rich
    • Moved by Bill.Wang Friday, August 28, 2009 2:24 AM (From:Getting Started With Visual Studio Team System)
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 5:08 PM

Answers

• Hello Tournesol,

Visual Studio kept breakpoint information in the user specific Solution.suo file. Can you delete it and have a test again?

If the issue still persist, please check if the symbol is loaded correct. You can verify it in Visual Studio by opening Debug -> Windows -> Modules

In the modules window, go to the assembly you are debugging, check its symbol status, check if it is user code. In the symbol file column, check if the file path is expected.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Friday, August 28, 2009 7:13 AM

All replies

• Hello Tournesol,

Visual Studio kept breakpoint information in the user specific Solution.suo file. Can you delete it and have a test again?

If the issue still persist, please check if the symbol is loaded correct. You can verify it in Visual Studio by opening Debug -> Windows -> Modules

In the modules window, go to the assembly you are debugging, check its symbol status, check if it is user code. In the symbol file column, check if the file path is expected.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Friday, August 28, 2009 7:13 AM
  • Hi All (sorry for my English),

I've got the same problem, but a little bit different.
    I used to use the VSTS and all was working perfect (all breakpoints were being hit).
    Then I uninstalled VSTS and installed VS 2008 Developer Edition.
    After that, I'cant hit breakpoints although I've set, removed, re-compiled all as said here.

Thanks!
    Saturday, August 29, 2009 1:19 PM
  • This is VS2008 right?  I do not see a 'Modules' windows under the Debug -> Windows menu.
    Friday, September 25, 2009 3:48 PM

• This is VS2008 right?  I do not see a 'Modules' windows under the Debug -> Windows menu.
    Monday, October 12, 2009 11:31 AM
  • "Modules" is only visible when you are Debugging the application. It is not visible in design time.

I have the same problem with symbols not loaded and in the modules I can see that, yes, they are really not loaded. My assembly is not there. But I am still trying to find the answer of the question "Why?". (Edit: found out "Why" and it is not related to this thread)
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 2:38 PM