none
How do I resolve conflicts in TFS?

Question

• How do I resolve conflicts in TFS?

I must have forgotten to do a recursive get before editing a file.  Whatever the cause is, I must now figure out how to resolve a conflict.

When I click on the workspace to performa check-in.  One of the files as a two-way pointing arrow which I guess must mean there is a conflect.

When I click to perform a "Check In" a message box appears that tells me:
      "No files checked in due to conflicting changes.  Please use Conflicts Channel to resolve conflicts and try again".

So I searched online for "Conflicts Channel TFS" and I got some results but all of the results only gave suggestions, like, Click on "Automatic Resolve".  The problem is that I do not see any of the menu commands or buttons to ckick on that they suggest.

Web Master and Programmer
    • Moved by Yves.Z Thursday, November 25, 2010 3:42 AM TFS related (From:Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF))
    Friday, November 19, 2010 10:32 PM

Answers

• Hi Bill_Thompson,

The Conflicts channel of the Pending Changes window appears automatically when an operation you are attempting to perform is blocked by one or more conflicts. By default, the window shows only the conflicts caused by the most recent operation you attempted. When the window is in this state, a message appears that begins: Path filter applied

However, you can make the window display all conflicts that are blocking all pending changes in your workspace by performing the following steps:

To show all conflicts in your workspace

1. If the Pending Changes window is not already displayed, click the View menu, point to Other Windows, and then click Pending Changes.
    2. Click  Conflicts.
    3. Click Get All Conflicts.

After you click this button, the message displayed begins: n Total Conflicts….

If a lot of time has passed since you made changes to files in your workspace, new conflicts may have occurred during that time. You can refresh the Pending Changes window to show these conflicts by performing the following steps:

To refresh the pending changes window

1. If the Pending Changes window is not already displayed, click the View menu, point to Other Windows, and then click Pending Changes.
    2. Click Conflicts.
    3. Click Refresh.

For more information about resolve conflicts, please refer to: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms181433.aspx.

Best Regards

John Qiao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Thursday, November 25, 2010 4:35 AM

All replies

• Hi Bill_Thompson,

Just get latest everything. It would ask you to merge and resolve the conflicts.

Right Click the solution and select "View Pending Changes". All Conflicts should show up in the last tab. Select the button with two arrows on the left. If it doesn't then click "Get All Conflicts" button on the top of this tab.

I always make sure that I get latest and merge on the local machine before checking in anything.

Thanks,
    Muhammad
    shujaatsiddiqi.blogspot.com

Muhammad Siddiqi
    Friday, November 19, 2010 11:41 PM
  • Alternatively, you can open the pending changes window, it has a row of buttons on the left, the bottom one contains the current conflicts.

http://blogs.objectsharp.com/cs/blogs/dave/archive/2009/11/09/conflict-resolution-in-tfs-2010.aspx

Sunday, November 21, 2010 10:20 AM
  • Hi Bill_Thompson,

The Conflicts channel of the Pending Changes window appears automatically when an operation you are attempting to perform is blocked by one or more conflicts. By default, the window shows only the conflicts caused by the most recent operation you attempted. When the window is in this state, a message appears that begins: Path filter applied

However, you can make the window display all conflicts that are blocking all pending changes in your workspace by performing the following steps:

To show all conflicts in your workspace

2. Click  Conflicts.
    3. Click Get All Conflicts.

After you click this button, the message displayed begins: n Total Conflicts….

If a lot of time has passed since you made changes to files in your workspace, new conflicts may have occurred during that time. You can refresh the Pending Changes window to show these conflicts by performing the following steps:

To refresh the pending changes window

2. Click Conflicts.
    3. Click Refresh.

For more information about resolve conflicts, please refer to: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms181433.aspx.

Best Regards

John Qiao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Thursday, November 25, 2010 4:35 AM